1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

seo challenge prize 15.000 $

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by silenced, Jul 14, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

The first contest was somewhat interesting (I even participated by providing links to one of the top 10 competitors). The second less so. After that, it was just a yawn.

minstrel, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, where ya been budday?

Crazy_Rob, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Hey, CR.

Been busy. Reworking the coding for my main site (it won't LOOK a whole lot different but it will be faster and more cross-browser friendly when done). Added a new directory (see blog above) and busy promoting that. Fixing some things on a few forums. Keeping cool in the pub when I can :D

4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    So...you've been working?

WEAK! :mad:

5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, there's my day job too, which has also been busy but slowing a tad as people with kids take off for the cottages :)

It's not ALL work and I actually enjoy work most of the time :eek:

6. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Sounds dangerous!

[​IMG]

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    They'll be back! :D

Just look at the facial expressions -- there's a marriage counseling series just waiting to happen :eek:

Crazy_Rob likes this.
  8. goodgirl

goodgirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I was considering this one. Went and picked up a domain name...but then read the rules, I knew I had to put a link at the bottom of the page but thought it was to the affiliate program, not using a term that is in the competition.

Hmm, anyone know of a game site that has backgammon and an affiliate program? ;) Or is that just too evil? ;)

goodgirl, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, It looks like they have started:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=backgammon+rules&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

My site was number 8 - although I wasnt specifically targetting this term. It is currently 11. So if you feel like showing these guys up then feel free to provide a link to my page about backgammon rules:
    Backgammon Rules

I will NOT be linking to play 65 and their affiliate scam. If there is any increase in rankings I will donate all adsense generated on that page until the end of the competition to a worthwhile cause - decided by the members of dp at the end of the competition.

I am NOT really in this for my own benefit, although I wont mind all those links and traffic obviously.

If you dont think its acceptable to wreck the results in this way, then link to any of the following who were there before the competition started. Some of these sites have been here for 5+ years.

http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html
    http://www.cybercom.net/~damish/backgammon/bg-rules.html
    http://www.gammonitis.com/backgammon_rules.htm
    http://boardgames.about.com/od/gammonrules/
    http://www.pressmantoy.com/instructions/instruct_backgammon.html
    http://www.gamecolony.com/backgammon_game_rules.shtml
    http://www.chicagopoint.com/usrules.html
    http://www.iplay.net/ourgames/gammon_rules.htm
    http://www.carromshop.com/game-rules/backgammon-rules.php - my site.
    xxx.electronicgamingbusiness.com/backgammon-rules.html - is the only one with the play65 advert on it, so far in the top 10.

Alot of small businesses that rely on backgammon as 'their product' will lose out if the results are full of affiliate spam.

Christmas is their best time (up to 50% of sales can be made at xmas) and its doubtful they can afford seos or enough linking stratagies to beat those looking at the prize money. So maybe you'll save someones xmas :)

Also, if successful then there will be a whole flow of traffic generating seo contests ruining much more than just backgammon and backgammon rules.

I know you guys can easily do it, if you feel the urge. So give it a go and show them who really rules the internet ;)

Design Agent, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    minstrel, Crazy_Rob and otc_cmnn like this.
  10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Good point, DA! That would really suck for those sites.

Wouldn't it be nice if G caught wind of this "contest" and penalized/banned anyone tageting backgamon and linking to play 65! :D

Crazy_Rob, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I'll give you some Co-op ads. I'd love to see you #1 for all terms, making the contest a flop. Hijacking them with a 302 could be an option too :D

T0PS3O, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  12. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not really bothered about being number 1 for backgammon at all. There are good sites out there, mine is not as good, - it doesnt help people find clubs/ competitions/ provide online backgammon or provide any indepth information. It currently ISNT the most relevant in my eyes.

BUT Backgammon rules - is fine, as mine are fine it also wont affect many of the REAL backgammon sites or their traffic/ profit much. ;)

So, pointing at any of the LEGITIMATE top 10 for backgammon is good too! (see prev post) There needs to be 3 or 4 sites stopping them (ideally 10 or so)

Not saying Im a saint (+ if I get lots of backgammon traffic, then Ill make sure there is enough quality content for them anyway).

Either way, you're all big boys and girls so you can make your own decisions..

I think Play65 are lucky Shawn or rusty or someone doesnt have a backgammon site :D and its just unprofessional lil ole me..

Thanks, Tops thats 3 of us so far :)

Design Agent, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Started off with 800 total. Half to "Backgammon Rules" and half to "Official Backgammon Rules".

T0PS3O, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  14. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can donate a couple of thousand weight aswell

l234244, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes, nice one l234244 - let's show them who's boss!

If they think they can own any odd #1, they haven't heard of DP just yet...

If you want to help fight these spamming people, here's how you can help:

Design Agent happens to be one of the victims who has a legit #11 ranking for 'Backgammon Rules'. Imagine 50 people competing and outranking him with their spammy scraped pages. He'll end up 61st i.e. no traffic :(

To stitch these people up donate some links, whether it be Co-op, LinkVault or plain old hand made links, it doesn't matter.

This is the landing page [targeturl]http://www.carromshop.com/game-rules/backgammon-rules.php[/targeturl]

Suggested anchor text:

Mainly a direct hit: Backgammon Rules
    Also: Variations like 'Official Backgammon Rules' misspellings like Back Gammon Rules and 'Backgammon' on its own.

On-page SEO isn't all that necessary IMO, tweaks might actually flag up if Google heard about this competition. (As if increased iBLs won't :) )

If you don't want to donate oodles of weight/links you can make a backgammon page yourself and just throw all the links to that page on your site with just one link to Design Agent's page.

Let's beat them for fun and pride, who cares about a measily 15 grand?

T0PS3O, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  16. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    That was far clearer than I could of hoped to put it :) Thanks.

I was actually 9th or so (when I read about the comp). Now 11th as Tops said - Although I am not blaming the comp for that.

17. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    I love the idea!
    1. www*p65.com will rank as number one for "online backgammon" since all the entries in the contest has to link to them with that keywordphrase.
    2. They are free to pick any winner, without any explanation.
    3. They get to keep the back links from the winners for a full three months after the end of the contest.
    4. Atleast 40 of their affiliates will be among the top 50 results if this works out.

I would never take a part of this. But I like the idea, I might wait a eyar and then I will come up with a brand new contest. And offer 100k worth of prizes to the winners I pick myself.

Sorvoja, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  18. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that the famous norweigian sarcasm ?

or you actually love the idea ?

I would LOVE most keyword terms in the search engines to have 80% affiliates from the same sites. Yeah that would be great. Spam hell.

How can that be a good idea ?

19. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Yes!!!!!!!!!

Sorvoja, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  20. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    DA, I just got back from holiday - I'll send you a PM this afternoon ;)

SEbasic, Aug 1, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.