1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO case study: the power of onpage seo

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by BrianJump, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Not to rain on your parade, but I have never heard of the term "economical hotel" in my life. I know what it means, it's just not a popular phrase. Maybe it's a US thing?

But as you have pointed out, onpage seo by itself can be enough to get rankings for non competitive keywords.

dcristo, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  2. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, one other person wrote it in a title so hes not all alone.

the skill level has fallen dramatically on this forum, i remember the days when people got slaughtered for posts like this, now half the replies are like:

SEOibiza, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  3. Michelle.

Michelle. Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the keyword doesn't appear to have many searches if any at all :confused:

Michelle., Jul 14, 2010 IP
  4. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    :) i have another seo client (targeting the same kw you mention) although I normally do not like to represent two clients going after the same target, I have them on page one for said kw...and it took approx 30 days..from page 6.
    You cant assume other pages arent targeting based on titles etc. Theres an seo here on DP that has already commented on this who has clients in Laguna targetting the very same... link volume, 2.0 properties et al are all breadcrumbs for seo. Dont use page titles as the lone seo strategy. Many dont even bother with onpage....

BrianJump, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  5. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont use pagetitles as a lone seo strategy, but I know as a fact that allintitle: of < 10 means you write it in your titles and you'll rank for it pretty much immediately.

look I just proved it here to some other doubters of allintitle: 48 hour old domain just off first page with one link to it.

allintitle: testing

if I added "economical" it would have gone straight in at #1 ;)

SEOibiza, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    lol that is an economical way to get rankings :)

dcristo, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  7. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, with respect Brian we have clients in the top 3 for "luxury hotels" (UK) and 1st page "luxury hotel hamptons" (.com US) as 2 quick examples and these are fairly insignificant terms for that site, and I also own 2 of the sites you still have to get past to rank for your company name, but thanks for the advice ;)

8. s4ndid

s4ndid Peon

Best Answers:
    i probably will search cheap hotel laguna beach. peace!

s4ndid, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  9. dorothykinder

dorothykinder Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I think he has shared his views of how he got a rank in two weeks. I do agree with him since his view points are really important for the SEO industry professionals. I think that if we target a non competitive keyword and market through the word of mouth then the users will automatically grow.

dorothykinder, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  10. s4ndid

s4ndid Peon

Best Answers:
    target on non competitive keyword and market through word of mouth wont you think the snowball effect slower? just give my 5cents

s4ndid, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  11. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you'd find most professionals (ie those making a good living at it for some time) would disagree with you.

12. jamesloo

jamesloo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, thats not much of a keyword really... such a long phrase...

jamesloo, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  13. digital29

digital29 Peon

Best Answers:
    On page SEO doesn`t have too much value nowadays. The only things that can really improve your rankings are the title and keyword density which should be around 5%

digital29, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  14. danielchloe

danielchloe Peon

Best Answers:
    Great going.. really like it.

danielchloe, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  15. biztrendz

biztrendz Member

Best Answers:
    digital29... I highly disagree with you... On-Page SEO is the most important element of any SEO strategy. Plus, you are talking about "old SEO techniques" by saying that keyword density should be 5%. Mate, in 2010, there is no keyword density for Google (may be 3-5% for Yahoo! and Bing), but for Google just repeat your key phrases 2-3 times in a page and GoogleBOT will know what you are focusing.

dorothykinder, I would have agreed with you if you meant keyword with "less competition" but NOT "non-competitive" keyword. Think for yourself, why would I target a keyword that can not bring me results for a long term. That is why SEOs use long tail keywords with "less" competition of 200 or 500> searches" to attract targeted audience and visitors for long term. I agree that the traffic would be less, but there's still a competition.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    biztrendz, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  16. Austin SEO

Austin SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it important to highlight the quality aspect of on site optimization. Most everyone is concerned with the visibility aspect of the website, often times ignoring the experience of the user once they get there. Relevant, well written content is paramount for the success of a website. If your visitors are lured into your website only to find out that it is stuffed with keywords and nothing really relevant, you failed.

Austin SEO, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  17. steammultimedia

steammultimedia Guest

Best Answers:
    The best thing is that the client is happy.

But you have to know that search terms get easier to rank for the more words that you have.
    laguna beach economical hotel is easier than laguna beach hotel or laguna beach. Adding in unusual words like economical makes it easier to rank for these words. Terms that are about 4 words long most people are not trying to rank for that, most people are trying to get to the top of 2 or 3 word search terms.

But yes i agree with you that it is good practice to get the on-site SEO strong before starting to look at the off-site SEO.

steammultimedia, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  18. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread has become a bit comical- This post didnt say "check out my huge ass kicking seo success story". Ill post one of those soon enough. It was simply to show what onpage factors can do. Im sure we all have countless other onpage examples..but unless its an old client, most of us possibly wouldn't want to show it as a study.. Any of us who do seo professionally have clients that we MUST rank for or otherwise they will be gone.
    This client is happy-bottomline. They now get traffic thanks to us where a few months back they were dead... the ultimate when doing seo, and they pay a recurring fee for the service. Aside from that, congrats to those who like to rain on the parade ie dcristo etc..no harm no foul.. Some seo egos here to be sure.
    And regardless of competition, the client is getting business now from google, where a month back he was spending $800 a month for nada.
    Now Ive got other clients too who are X,XXX/month with whom I wont share details about of course..and I know there's clients spending 6 figs a month with seo et al..

ps- here's a question for those who do seo-not as a hobby..for real: Ever try to seo a clients site WITHOUT proper onpage factors? Doing a campaign without solid onpage seo is like going to battle without guns.

19. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    Never said you didn't know what you are doing ibiza- settle down baby. Yeah I saw your sites for those kws- you can probably tell Im not optimizing for those kws...I prefer to rank for city+ kw...more business.
    Clients will ask what you are trying to rank for, show examples etc, which of course we provide. Any good seo has tons of page one accomplishments..some big victories with tons of competition and others with virtually zero.

Here's an idea- why don't you do a case study and share with DP how you've ranked one of your clients?

20. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    haha funny you should ask, here's a live case study on as we speak, including both an existing site and a brand new site that went live on Sunday.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Allin-Scooter-Hire-Ibiza-How-to-Use-Google-Advanced-Search-Operators

& its also a tutorial on how to use google advanced search operators to assess serp competitivity.

SEOibiza, Jul 15, 2010 IP