1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO budget - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by simacaj, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jpearce

jpearce Peon

Best Answers:
    I look at it in percentages. 10-30 percent depending.

jpearce, Dec 7, 2008 IP
  2. rahul_seo

rahul_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO budget is time & Knowledge, how much time,Knowledge and effort he able to spend on optimizing any sites.

rahul_seo, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  3. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    budgets depends on expectations and ROI.

If the ROI isn't +ve, any budget from $1 to $10k is waste.

poseidon, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have done the seo for all my sites on my own without spending even a penny. Of course, this is not possible for everyone. Allot the budget depending on the niche, keyword targeted, ROI and dollars in hand.... :)

dairyman, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  5. ilexx

ilexx Peon

Best Answers:
    I have come to realize that people are spending alot of valuable advertising dollars on their SEO campaign.. Geez..

SEO is definitely important as ranking well in the search engines is probably the most important thing because thats where people go when they are looking for information.

So I definitely have alot of respect for SEO but to be spending so much money and not even know exactly what you are spending it on is an absolute waste.

I have never spent a dime on my SEO campaign and I have websites listed in the top 10 for certain search terms and its not hard to do. SEO is time consuming and I have thought about leveraging my time a little better though. You see I spent the time researching, reading and learning as much about internet marketing and search engine optimization as I can so I understand what it takes to have a website rank high in the SERPs. When you have that understanding then you can delegate your time and money alot better.

You can find networks where you just have people who do freelance work, well you can also find people who will do tasks for you for a price and it really isnt that expensive, you can really save alot by doing this. In some instances you can get somebody to write up to 10 articles for you, for as low as $100. These things can really come in handy and you can stretch that $100 to do alot of work for you because now you would have 10 articles ready for distribution. Having access to networks like these really help you leverage your time and that is extremely important.

So with that said I dont think its a bad idea to have a SEO budget but dont go over spending, especially for things you arent sure about. I personally wouldnt spend more than $200 a month on SEO if I had to be spending anything at all.

ilexx, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  6. dream_sonu

dream_sonu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think its depend upon if someone rank a site in a little bit day so we don't consider lot more.

dream_sonu, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  7. oddcomments

oddcomments Peon

Best Answers:
    @ilexx: There certainly are a lot of companies in this world overpaying for SEO. However, for the most part, SEO is one of those areas that you get what you pay for. If you have a good SEOer that does it for cheap, DON'T LET THEM GO. :)

The problem is, unless you know SEO, you can't spot a bad SEOer until well after you've paid the invoice.

oddcomments, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  8. xxMirceaxx

xxMirceaxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you know what you are doing and have better things to do with the money you usually don't want to give it to so-called seo-companies that hire indians to do directory submissions, article promotions, blog comments and so on but rather you contact yourself directly. It can save you a good chunk of moolah!

xxMirceaxx, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  9. tukang

tukang Peon

Best Answers:
    I really likes this attitude. Yeah all we need is patience in SEO. So invest time by doing it yourself. But sure, if you would hire professionals, how much would you pay them?

Will you ask that as if you hire yourself? How much is your time worth?
    100$ / month? More?

Since I always do my SEO on my own, I never have a number. So yeah, my budget is time too.

tukang, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  10. single2871

single2871 Peon

Best Answers:
    $4500 is fairly.

single2871, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  11. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    We know exactly what we are spending our SEO dollars on.

We rank with 6 web sites on page one SERPS for Google, Yahoo!, MSN, etc. We have thousands of visits per month from organic searches. However, our industry requires us to spend a hefty amount in Google ads in order to dominate the first page Google results. Meaning, we don't want to be JUST #1 in organic Google results, but we want to be #1 in the paid Google ads too.

Our investment yields MILLIONS in revenue per year, and has proven to be our best advertising investment, year after year. Our sites have been ranking for years organically, and this is just the icing on the cake for us. One click (average around $1.50 per click anually) could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars for us...so that is a $1.50 WELL SPENT.

We have nearly let all print advertising go due to our success with Google ads.

Tara33, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  12. bobbym

bobbym Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is better to learn SEO by yourself, it cheaper and better.

bobbym, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  13. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, there are tasks that are tedious and would be better if you outsource the menial tasks involved.
    I will usually spend $100 - $200 to be spent on outsourcing for every project that I am handling.

SEOTherapy, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  14. xxMirceaxx

xxMirceaxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any chance you are talking about the site in your sig? Not even #1 on his main kw, but you spend thousands of dollars ...ahem

xxMirceaxx, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  15. tokyoice

tokyoice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To bring me into the number 1 spot I'll go for $700 to 800 per month.

tokyoice, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  16. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the site in my signature, and five others, thank you very much.

To the contrary we are #1 to #5 for many (or most) of our 'main keywords', as we have been for YEARS. There are only a handful of keywords that we need to be ranked for. So whatever you see as our 'main kw' could be incorrect. You can only assume what our 'main kw' is.

The site in my sig is the newest of our sites, and is one of two that we promote with Google ads. Even if we were #1 for EVERY keyword, we'd still spend the money. As I said, we want to be on top of the paid ads as well as the organic search.

Furthermore, I don't know if you are speaking of our site not being #1 in organic or paid results. If you are speaking of our Google Ads, and are looking 'after hours' you will not find our paid ads still running. We keep them active 5 days a week, for about 10 hours a day. Also, they are highly geo-targeted; we target the lower 48 states, and their larger metro areas.

I don't spend the money. The company I work for does. I run the ads, and perform the SEO.

Additionally, I am not a guy...AHEM!

Edit: In my original post I said $185K-$200K. Geez! I meant $85K-$100K! Honest mistake.

Tara33, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    harshakiran likes this.
  17. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    The budget is up to how big your business is .

I agree with you . I understand it in the way of "building site based on seo regulations and laws"

justinlorder, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  18. harshakiran

harshakiran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must agree with what tara said in her posts many companies have that big budgets my clients budgets vary from 10K$ an year to 75K$ an year per site

harsha

harshakiran, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  19. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's not a particuarly good way of looking at it. A small site with 5-6 pages it isn't going to be enough, and amazon, just with the number of pages that they have indexed would be paying 5,400,000,000 per year.

Recommended costs are usually niche specific, competitive industries tend to cost far more.

MattUK, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  20. ilexx

ilexx Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont totally knock the whole idea of spending money with a SEO company but what I would suggest is at least learning more about SEO first and ensure you are knowledgeable in SEO and if you feel it necessary to outsource some of your SEO work then fine.

I just dont suggest that people go off and put all their faith in their SEO company to do the work and then get screwed in the end. I believe that if you have the knowledge and you work with somebody else more knowledgeable then you can have something going but I couldnt blindly put my faith in somebody else to do work that I could possibly do myself. If I am working with a professional SEO company that is going to do it for me I am going to ensure I know what I am getting for the money I am paying.

I hear you Tara on what you are doing and you could be yielding alot of money in revenue per year but you can always cut costs in certain places aswell..
    If you know what you are doing you would ensure that you arent listing your paid listings for the same keywords you are already #1 - #3 for because then you would be spending unnecessarily on clicks but you could of course still do the content advertising though and capitalize on that.

I am not here to say anything somebody is doing is wrong.. For me I am going to ensure that down to my last dollars are working dollars and limit the wasted dollars to a minimum.

But in the end I agree that you have to utilize organic listings and paid listings to capitalize on all the traffic and target your customers completely. You have to have a steady advertising budget and if you cant do something for yourself, try to learn it but if you dont have the time then outsource it, just ensure you are getting the best price you can.

P.S Being listed #1 in paid listings isnt the most important thing either.. neither is it the most cost effective thing to do.. 9/10 times you have the same CTR for just being listed on the first page period and you are paying less for your clicks.. So you have to think about that for the same reason Tara said.. $1.50 per click ads up over time... so if you can shave off cents here and there and still have the same effect then why not?

ilexx, Dec 10, 2008 IP