1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO advice and help on my site

Discussion in 'SEO' started by CircleOfLinks, Jan 12, 2014.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone an help me with improving me sites current SEO rankings

The person who normally does the SEO is currently away until mid June so I was going to continue doing itself.

I have some understanding of how it all works but I'm not the best.

What I really would like to do as well is when someone searches my business name in google for google to display the business logo, description and link on the right (apart from the organic results) I see it on other sites not mine.

Im not sure if it's google places or what but an example would be if you google General Pants Co (fashion retailer in Australia) you'll see a brief intro and logo on the right. (In google Australia)

The link to my site is swiftproductions.com.au

Thanks for the info and help

Regards

Dan

CircleOfLinks, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am about to fall over from exhaustion so you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt here but, it would literally take me less time to fix that pile of shit then it would to iterate how many things are entirely wrong here across the board.

You have way bigger issues here than SEO matters as well. Which may be part of what you are observing ranking wise but I frankly don't know where to start.

Ryan-uk should be around in a sec so we can tackle fixing stuff across a few time zones and he will get where i am headed as well but seriously..

<h3><a href="#" title="Our eBay Design, Logo Design, Website Design Portfolio and Testimonials">Portfolio</a></h3>

Your source code is riddled with stupid.

Please don't take that stuff personally either. I am here to help and so are a few others but you have an entirely stuffed up mess.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  3. CircleOfLinks

CircleOfLinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    ok thanks for that.

appreciate your time.

I had someone who was doing the SEO for me however he has gone overseas and wont be back for a while so ive been trying to take over it.

Ive been following the SEO guidlines on Google.

I am getting good traffic and rankings for alot of competitive keywords such as logo design etc however I would like to improve it.

Hope it didn't stuff anything :p

Regards

Dan

4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are not the issue. Your non performing SEO dude is though. He missed quite literally everything.

It will get fixed just hang tight a sec.

N.

5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd start just by working out why your find out more button doesn't work.

Do you have access to webmastertools? Look through that and see if anything stands out as wrong or needing attention
    Do you have access to your traffic stats? What search phrases are people actually finding you on?

sarahk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  6. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    JN will wait thanks agin.

Sarahk - it doesnt work because we havn't linked the image.

We are updating all the slideshows over the next few days so that would be all sorted.

Everything seems fine in Webmastertools, we don't see any issues and I now what key phrases to use but my issue was trying to get the site performing better with the keywords we already use and trying to get that rigth section in google search to show our map, logo and description when some searches our business name.

our keywords as a guide which are performing really well are:

- logo design
    - logo design sydney
    - ebay store design
    - ebay store

invoice books printing etc

thanks again

Dan

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When you talk about wanting the logo in the search results do you mean where this guy has his photo

upload_2014-1-12_23-25-14.png

sarahk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  8. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    no, i know that comes from Google + - Here is a screen shot if an example.

[​IMG]

But this one doesnt have a logo however i've seen some with the actual logo as well.

thanks

Dan

9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You need verify your address with Google to get the map and the address marker.

I've never seen a logo in the results.

sarahk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  10. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    The address is verified with Google. I had a look and it says 100% completed and is verified, our site is just not getting picked up there.

Also attached is a sample of one with the logo

upload_2014-1-13_10-2-55.png

11. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh. I was just reading about and I am trying to get back to throwing out a range of suggestions for you as well. I needed a breather...

Note it says follow in your screenshot. In wordpress that is baked into the yoast SEO plugin but that is apparently what is called a twitter card https://dev.twitter.com/cards

From what I understand you have to jump through a few hoops but its simply a meta tag basically.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

12. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure what you are wanting, aside from your business to be properly recognised by Google. (Maybe because I am a bit tired, on my third night shift in a row.)

Visit:
    http://www.google.com.au/business/placesforbusiness/

And take it from there.

What I would also add is take advantage of structured data (stop by schema.org) for your company's address/contact details.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  13. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    @ JN thanks what do you mean by 'Note it says follow in your screentshot'?? Sorry im a little confused here.

Also i'll look into the twitter cards, thanks

@ Ryan - What im trying to do is have the site correctly indexed by Google and also include that business info "twitter card (possibly)" to show up in google when someone searches our business name.

I have already setup the Google places for business which is all completed 100%

thanks again guys for the help, i really appreciate it

Regards

Dan

14. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your General Pants Company image is a twitter card. That is not a Google Venture its just displayed on Google.

Here is an explanation of what is happening there.
    http://yoast.com/twitter-cards-in-action/

Nigel

15. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You can follow on Google+, too. They have a verified Google+ page, but as far as I can tell no business listing (albeit when I try to add one, it shows as claimed).

@CircleOfLinks: the two screenshots you provided are for two different kinds of results. Ice Age Group is a business listing (which you want) and the other is a knowledge graph result. Take a look at:
    http://searchengineland.com/company-logos-google-search-organization-markup-159767

EDIT: Additionally, what is the status of your places for business listing? Have there been any changes made to it recently? (Within the last two months.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  16. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    I havnt made any changes in the last 4-5 months to my webmastertools or places.

Only thing i've changed on my site is adding a DB for the portfolio section.

i've had a look at the link searchengines.... and followed it and setup the meta tag - hopefully this would help my site.

Is there anything else you can see wrong with the site that I can improve?

I do appreciate your time.

Regards

Dan

17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Can you clarify what you mean by "places"? Do you mean your Google+ presence? Or the actual Google Places Business Listing Admin Interface?

Remember, the meta description is your sales pitch, i.e. your chance to encourage someone to click through from the search results. So write it for humans and not search engines. I am not saying your current one is bad, just make a list of 5-10 and ask some friends/family (who know nothing about SEO/web development) which ones would most likely make them click through. As for meta keywords, remove and never think about them again (they aren't used).

Tons. Firstly, make your site responsive. Make sure it works fine regardless of if it's on a PC/laptop, tablet or smartphone. Don't make it so busy and crowded. Remove pointless junk such as the slider/carousel. Don't have anything that obscures the content. Make your site load as quickly as possible. Again, TEST IT on non-technical people.

ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  18. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    Hi Ryan,

I'm referring to Google places for business. This is already setup, we also have a Google + account which is also all completed and setup.

We are in the process of having a mobile site built which we are hoping for it to be completed within the next few weeks.

JN was saying there was alot of coding issues. Are you (or JN) able to point out some so I can try and have them fixed?

thanks

Dan

CircleOfLinks, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  19. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    On my phone right now, so can't check. Regarding your Google business listing, make a post in their product forum for it. As you have verified, it should show. Actually you do show up when searching for Swift productions 2046. Is there another company with the same name in Sydney? Or did you change address? Yes, you changed address, and this is the problem. Get the old address removed.

ryan_uk, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  20. CircleOfLinks

Best Answers:
    Hi Ryan,

thanks for that. I'll try and get it removed. any ideas how?

Also what did you see when you searched for the business name and post code? Im not getting any results

Also JN mentioned something about <h3><a href="#" title="Our eBay Design, Logo Design, Website Design Portfolio and Testimonials">Portfolio</a></h3> // can you tell me what is wrong with it and what I should do to fix it?

from what i've been reading im assuming its using h3 and # ??

Regards

Dan

CircleOfLinks, Jan 15, 2014 IP