1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sensible Linking

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Arnica, Nov 26, 2004.

When viewing some of my sites running network ads I noticed one ad that made me consider whether we should have a few (more) guidelines as to what we shouldn't do with the ads.

The ad that caught my eye, in itself, was fairly harmless although it did include some textual graphics which made it stand out from the others in list '------> ad text <------'. It was the link itself that worried me - a referral link to the ad network itself. What's wrong with that I here you say? Nothing if it's one ad but I very quickly saw the scenario developing where a greater number of ad network members place their own referral links in ads (use a little weight to gain a little weight). You could then easily have the scenario where you have two or three ads in your pages showing variations of 'Place your ad here free'. This does impact on the members who place their referral links under or adjacent to their ads but I feel the main issue is that the ads then look somewhat unprofessional and could actually put off future members or cause existing members to reconsider. I'm in total favour of flexibility within the network but we all need to be a little conscious of the ads we place. In the end we all lose out if the ad network loses some credibility.

Food for thought anyway.

Mick

Arnica, Nov 26, 2004 IP
  2. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    I agree. that ----->my link here<------ is annoying - it should be limited to text only for the anchor.

thebassman, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  3. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree as well. I think the network is at its best when the ads I serve on my page look like links I would choose to put on my page. That's been pretty much true so far, until I saw the '->my link here<-' ad.

crew, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The ad in question has been deleted as a FYI.

digitalpoint, Nov 27, 2004 IP