1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling plants over the net

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by heftzwecke, Nov 23, 2015.

I sell plants at markets and I do have a webpage. I figured out that our regional customer base is not enough to really make a living, and so far I figured out how to pack and post the plant, the workflow and so forth. I grow all the plants myself.
    How do I draw enough customers at my webpage? I do not need hundreds of customers, rather it is targeted - garden geeks. I expect the average sale might be at least $ 50(because of the shipping costs), so I would be happy having 12- 20 sales per week. I thought participating in gardening forums?

heftzwecke, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Look at similar sites and google them to see how they are promoting. I know people over here in NZ who buy and sell plants online successfully so you are on the right track. I'd start with facebook, local forums and even a giveaway via Woman's Weekly or the Yates newsletter. A friend does well through TradeMe so I'd look at your equivalent, is it eBay or GumTree?

sarahk, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  3. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Member

Best Answers:
    I did buy plants in the past, so I know which sites I like and which are not well organized. BTW I use weebly for my webpage, which is great for me, but is it great in e-commerce too? I think I won't do ebay, because it is a second site I have to upkeep and the main focus is growing great plants, without having something really unusual to sell I won't make a dollar, there are many established nurseries selling a lot of (often boring and common) plants. I think my question was wrong. I need to figure out that if I grow an uncommon plant - how do people figure that out? How does it come up in google or do I have to participate in forums writing about that new awesome plant (without to mention that I sell this of course).

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If it's uncommon and you have your onpage keywords done right then you should come up fairly easily as your niche won't be "competitive". Google will visit your site and "index" it as well as process any inbound links pointing to your site. You want those links to have the right anchor text so instead of saying "click here to buy air plants" you'd just say "buy air plants". FWIW - they're hard to find in NZ so I know how easy it would be for someone to dominate in that niche.

I haven't used weebly so can't comment on that.

sarahk, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Out of curiosity do you grow carnivorous plants?

dcristo, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  6. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Member

Best Answers:
    No! But that would be a great niche too. The link trick is great, thanks.

7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Garden geeks like to frequent forums although I am sure there would already be some stiff competition.

That said, shipping costs would be a deal breaker for many potential buyers I would think. So, you could see if there is already an established gardening forum which is local to you.

If not, develop such a site yourself. It doesn't just need to be a forum, it could be an informational site, and you could post videos to youtube as part of your marketing plan.

Come to think of it... GardenGeeks or GardenGeek is a pretty brandable name! :) Just throwing some ideas out there.

dcristo, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  8. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Member

Best Answers:
    Yes shipping is dreadful, the packaging and the actual shipping costs. There are some forums and I must be more active. There is competition but they are in a different climate.