1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling HDTV's? - a few tips

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by bob25, Oct 12, 2012.

Selling HDTV's can be a little trickey at times, especially if you promote specific models, here's a few tips I've learned through trial and error from when I used to sell them years ago when EMD's were not to well known (2007). Since them I've gradually gotten out of the niche as Google's algorithms have made it harder and harder over the years.

For instance, if you use Amazon's Best Sellers search engine to do your research keep in mind that the top sellers sometimes have a high amount of reviews. Some info products about selling on Amazon will tell you to look for items that has a lot of reviews, however in HDTV's it often means it's been around longer.

Being around longer usually isn't always a good thing in HDTV's. Here's why. The new models usually come out during the first half of the year, then builds up momentum and peaks in November/December. Then it drops way off and a lot of times it never recovers, the search numbers never return to previous levels as newer models are introduced in the new year. So the "shelf life" of specific models are sometimes just a year. And you need to catch it at the right time.

Google's keyword tool doesn't display the actual numbers:

---

If you use Google's keyword tool you need to understand that it uses a a 12 month average to calculate the search numbers, and that you can't rely on those numbers especially in this niche.

For instance, using Google's keyword tool it might show a thousand searches being made while in reality the number of searches are closer to zero. Do a exact match search and download the csv file and you'll see what I mean. It gives you a monthly breakdown on the amount of searches per month. If you don't have microsoft Office you can download openoffice.org

For instance, for the keyword "4th of july" the GAKT shows 368,000 searches. However in reality downloading the csv file it actually shows 0 searches in the month of September.

Because the GAKT uses a 12 month average 4,090,000 searches were done in July, and 0 searches in September. Yet if you do an exact match search you'll get the impression 368,000 searches are currently taking place.

Try doing a search at the beginning of the year (after January) for HDTV's when the December searches have really skewed the numbers.

---

What this means is that you can't really rely on search numbers all the time in this niche.

If you catch a specific model (eg.Samsung UN22D5003) when it first is introduced the numbers are going to be low, it's on an upswing (sometimes in the hundreds). However, if you catch it after the Christmas rush in December the numbers are going to be lower than what you see on the GAKT.

The trick (and you have to be lucky) is to catch it on the upswing when the numbers aren't there prior to November and December. And not in the beginning of the year when you're seeing thousands of searches or you're probably going to be to late. Smaller and mid-sized models tend to generate higher search numbers, while the larger HDTV's generate higher commissions, but remember that it's capped at 4% (US).

bob25, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  2. freshdevelopment

freshdevelopment Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great advice. I have promoted specific TV models in the past but they have a relatively short lifespan as they are replaced by newer models.

I do tend to favour "evergreen" niches more these days but there is money to be made quickly in jumping on a short term niche like televisions.

Unfortunately the EMD change Google has made will make this a little bit harder.. I would modify my tactics to have a main website (e.g. www.shoptelevisions.com) and target the models on sub pages (e.g. www.shoptelevisions.com/samsung-45ERMTMT-lcd-hd-tv/)

freshdevelopment, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  3. freshdevelopment

Best Answers:
    freshdevelopment, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  4. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow I better start reading those emails from Amazon. I only used to promote the major brands years ago when EMD's were sort of magic (around 2006) and didn't require much work, but I'd be upset if I promoted one of these, Coby and Haier sounds familiar, I think I was promoting some of their smaller TVs.

bob25, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  5. freshdevelopment

Best Answers:
    Yeh it happened to me with the Nintendo Wii when it first launched... I was killing it and all of a sudden they announced no more commissions on the Wii console.

I switched to another merchant but good job I kept an eye on things.

freshdevelopment, Oct 24, 2012 IP