1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling copy/fake products from China

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by jim34, Oct 30, 2009.

Hi everyone

I've just started looking into products from China. Bought some tennis racquets which retail for $360-$400NZ but paid $60NZ from China. If I sell them on ebay or internet how do I sell them successfully without lying and decieving my buyer. The racquets themselves are great and look exactly the same apart from 1 little sticker on the inside of the racquet.
    I guess that goes with other products from China. Any ideas or contacts on how to get to the geninue factory or product line??? The funny thing is even the original product has a 95% chance been made in china as the original tennis racquets I have.

jim34, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  2. 5867dude

5867dude Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that you take a risk even selling fakes/imports as it could be stopped at borders, and then land you with a huge fine as it is trademark infringment. Also people will report you to PayPal and get their money back

5867dude, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  3. jim34

jim34 Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you. So where do I get original products from and how do I source them. I'm looking for gillette shavers and Oral B brushes.

jim34, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  4. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Selling fakes is illegal. And people do get caught eventually.

You can't really be honest and not lying & deceiving the customers if you sell fakes. Fakes have no value, they are worth nothing.

The only way to find the real stuff is through your local distributors. But this is no easy task. The best way to find them is through trade shows/expos. Generally speaking the distributors have a strict set of rules as to whom they do business with (registered businesses, minimum monthly purchases....etc).

Brand names protect their brand through strict distribution networks, hence the high price for their items and perceived superior quality.

Try contacting Gillette directly to ask them about their New Zealand distributors.

hhsaus, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  5. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ebay is flooded with fake junk, you will probably have alot of comptition and still get in trouble for it eventally.

averyz, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  6. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    AFAIK,ebay don't allow selling of imitation item such as replica watch.
    And even the original product is make from china,but the quality is more better than the replica item.

mentos, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  7. jim34

jim34 Peon

Best Answers:
    So the question is how do I get in touch with the China manufactures who do genuine and original products? I want to only deal with the genuine products and give my customers good service. I know its all about giving everyone value. The challenge is trying to make a enough margin to make it worth while. Any help or contacts would be appreciated.

jim34, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  8. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can't. You have to go through local distributors. For example, a Nike factory in China will only sell the shoes to Nike NZ. Nike NZ will then sell the shoes to their Kiwi distributors. Retailers then buy Nike shoes from those distributors. That's how it works.

You can try buying genuine merchandise from authorised distributors in other countries. But if NZ intellectual property, copy right, and trademark laws are similar to those in Aus, it basically makes it illegal for you to import those trademark goods for commercial purpose from any source other than the local distributor.

hhsaus, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  9. jim34

jim34 Peon

Best Answers:
    In NZ my understand is (and I'll have to check again) we have parrallel importing rules - which I believe means that I can import the product from overseaas and sell it but because I don't have the licence to sell then I don't get the product back up for faults and gaurentees and support. Anyone know any better? Which is why I would like to source the geninue product on my internet site or trademe/ebay.

jim34, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  10. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely check with NZ customs before you spend any money.

Try searching for US suppliers/distributors/wholesalers rather than China. China is just one big factory manufacturing well know branded goods for their western owners. The US suppliers usually have very competitive prices, plus the greenback is getting worthless by the day, so it may make good business sense to import from the states.

hhsaus, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  11. el_yoyo

el_yoyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I work in eBay.

I would recommend do not try to put fake products in eBay, it is a matter of time until eBay suspend your account.
    By selling fakes (even if you tell that in the item description) you risk to damage your reputation and feedback since most of the buyer do not read the description. Several negative feedback in 30 days and you are gone

In the other hand, the rest of the sellers will notify eBay and you will get banned.

If the fake is from a known brand them the Vero programm (copyrights owners) will kill your business forever and you may have also legal consequences.

If you sell just one Item from China could be OK but base a business on Chinese fake products will end just in troubles for you

el_yoyo, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  12. awesometbn

awesometbn Peon

Best Answers:
    Also be on the lookout for people calling this by some other name, like "mirror" products. If you are using the trademark of another company without permission, get ready for a fun time in the court system defending yourself and wasting a lot of time and money. Buying up cheap products and reselling them is a great idea, but not if it involves counterfeit items. Avoid at all costs no matter what kind of profit you think you can get.

awesometbn, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  13. w3bdev

w3bdev Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of the posts here, there is too much risk selling fakes on ebay, they will ban/blacklist your account..

w3bdev, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  14. ironmonger

ironmonger Peon

Best Answers:
    I also agree with the posts here because there is too much of a risk selling fakes on ebay, if you are willing to let your account get banned or blacklisted then by all means go ahead unless you worked hard to get that seller rating you can kiss that goodbye

ironmonger, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  15. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try going to trade fairs ....

I get loads of great contacts from them.

And there good places to get new ideas for new projects as well.

patrickberry, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  16. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You will get picked up by customs eventually which will land you in hot water. eBay is the least of your worries, it's customs who will forward you onto the police for selling fake goods.

dcristo, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  17. believer1984

believer1984 Peon

Best Answers:
    Trust me be a good seller and make a good name.

selling fakes will harm your business image and get you introuble.

peace.

believer1984, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  18. Donz444

Donz444 Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to do this for a while, and in the long run its not worth the money and shipping costs to much once you start moving product...
    On ebay you list the merchandise as is...
    The name, style and type of product
    That its a knock off product, but Manufactured to spec as origional product...
    List this info in the middle to end of your description... That way you cant get introuble for fraudulant listing
    Good Luck...

Donz444, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  19. CPAPro1337

CPAPro1337 Peon

Best Answers:
    dude you could get in huge trouble selling fakes man even on ebay. plus ebay deletes those ads now i'm pretty sure they have a really good tracking system.

CPAPro1337, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  20. happyblog

happyblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion: You need to pay more.

1/6 to 1/7 of market price? and you should imagine the result.

happyblog, Nov 7, 2009 IP