1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Self Driving Cars (liability)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dscurlock, Jan 30, 2018.

1. directoryman

directoryman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main thing is the continued testing of self-driving cars in controlled environments (private roads). Then just continue to improve them, until they are safer than human drivers.

directoryman, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  2. tech-guyz

tech-guyz Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, they have been focusing more on how 18 wheelers will be the safest at first because the highways have less traffic. I wouldn't think it would be safer if someone got hit by one! I am very interested in this topic!

tech-guyz, Mar 19, 2018 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, a lady pedestrian in Arizona was killed today by a driverless car owned by Uber. Uber has shut down all of its driverless fleet as a result. There will be ups and downs, of course, but it is inevitable that they take over in the decades ahead.

jrbiz, Mar 19, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As sad as it is for that woman and her family, I still reckon they'll be safer in the long run. You see too many accidents that were preventable.

On Friday I was heading out of town and joined a couple of other bikers hanging off the back of an ambulance making it's way through very slow motorway traffic. The amount of rapid acceleration followed by a sudden braking as drivers moved over or blocked it's path was incredible and eventually I dropped off and did regular lane splitting.

Will emergency services be faster because self-driving vehicles make way more consistently? How many lives saved?

sarahk, Mar 19, 2018 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    And you will never have to deal with a drunken autonomous vehicle!

jrbiz, Mar 20, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. Johnny_Weather

Johnny_Weather Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm ready for it! I think used under the right circumstances auto-pilot could at least help with approximately 1 out of 4 accidents being a distracted driver. Granted, the technology still has some work to be perfected, but hopefully it won't take another 30-50 years until it happens!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Johnny_Weather, Oct 24, 2019 IP
  7. ashleyow

ashleyow Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The concept is promising. I see that it could help to decrease the amount of accidents but technologies also can malfunction. Just like people, actually. Even my phone can't work perfectly all the time to say nothing of driverless cars. And yes, I can compare those 2 things, because both phone and cars are functioning due to programming. My idea is that maybe there will be less accidents caused by people. But who knows how many crashes will happen due to mechanism failures?

ashleyow, Oct 30, 2019 IP