1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Self Driving Cars (liability)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dscurlock, Jan 30, 2018.

I would certainly hate to be a investor of self driving cars....
    (talk about Liability Galore...)

The first time I heard about an actual self driving car was awhile
    back, and it was some type of self driving taxi/van of some sort,
    and within minutes of departing, it got into a wreck....

How many people have to be injured or even killed before some slick
    CEO starts thinking "well, maybe this was the worlds worst idea..." We
    have trains that are on tracks that end up having unpredictable accidents,
    such as the trains that goes 70+/mph going around a curve, or some idiot
    fool trying to race across the track trying to beat the train...

with dumb drivers and roads being unpredictable....
    I just think it is the worlds dumbest Idea...

The first moment the self driving car kills someone,
    then you will have the first multi-million dollar lawsuit...

We cant even keep planes and helicopters from crashing, and one
    helicopter just crashed killing 3 people, so how the hell can one
    keep a self driving car from crashing, and killing an entire family?

dscurlock, Jan 30, 2018 IP
  2. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is the feature but our generation is not ready for it (still). I think in 30-50 years will be normal to see taxies without driver (as metros today).

Zoti Media Group, Jan 30, 2018 IP
  3. directoryman

directoryman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The self-driving car can be done. Companies need to speed up the pubic's acceptance and create rules for other drivers to follow when they spot one. Like. know that no one is in the car.
    :oops:

directoryman, Jan 30, 2018 IP
  4. Sharpay

Sharpay Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just last week a driver in a Tesla crashed into a firetruck on autopilot while going 65 mph. This isn't the first time I've heard of this, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I don't trust "auto pilot" at all, and I hope nobody else does either.

Sharpay, Jan 30, 2018 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the same comments were made by pilots regarding the auto-pilot feature many years ago. These days, a lot of commercial airliners are mostly flown by an autopilot system while the pilot sits there watching. It will likely be the same with self-driving cars over time. Right now, of course, you would be taking your life in your hands by getting into one of them, IMO.

jrbiz, Jan 31, 2018 IP
  6. directoryman

Best Answers:
    Autopilot light rails would be safer.

directoryman, Jan 31, 2018 IP
  7. directoryman

Best Answers:
    How about just slowly getting rid of a working person's need to commute?

directoryman, Feb 20, 2018 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. pakanpak

pakanpak Member

Best Answers:
    I think self-driving car and drivers behind the wheel on the same road now is dangerous. Because AI can not improvise

pakanpak, Feb 21, 2018 IP
  9. bash1900

bash1900 Peon

Best Answers:
    self driving cars are the future and its only about time,no more jobs for driving instrutors or rip off insurance companies charging us tons of money to get insured

bash1900, Feb 21, 2018 IP
  10. alwaysforGod

alwaysforGod Active Member

Best Answers:
    to be honest i'm genuinely surprised that people even consider implementing much less actualizing the technology to allow people who can barely drive as it is to put on and ride in "autopilot" control of these multi-ton machines that everyone seems to think are go-carts lol.
    but hey, to some people profit > caring obviously, the best thing is to continue being positive and awaiting the peace that comes

alwaysforGod, Feb 21, 2018 IP
  11. directoryman

Best Answers:
    Positive things happen to positive people.

America will find a way to make it work, even if it means they will build new dedicated roads for self-driving cars!

Patience! Let the companies, people and govt. come up with what they come up with.

directoryman, Feb 24, 2018 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is where we need to get to. I often point out that in the early colonial days of America, the Puritans had an arrangement where workers would create products (clothing, etc.) in their homes and then bring the finished product to the "factory" for their weekly paycheck. Now, with the Internet, mobile phones, etc., a lot of jobs could be done remotely with the work submitted to a centralized location. Robotic factories could also aid in this transition where humans can stay home and do their work from there.

I have had remote positions at various stages of my career and I prefer that approach. And the company also benefited because I would work when I would otherwise be wasting time commuting. Weak managers do not like this because they feel that they need to see people sitting at their desks to ensure that they are actually working. Fact is, someone sitting at a desk in an office is no guarantee of work being done.

Getting back to this thread: imagine how much better and safer the roads would be if there was no major rush hour commuting twice a day!

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2018 IP
  13. alwaysforGod

alwaysforGod Active Member

Best Answers:
    it is true that positivity does bring more positive things

alwaysforGod, Feb 25, 2018 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We're social creatures - being with work colleagues is important. Having worked from home for 15 years I'm enjoying having an office to go to - along with the flexibility to work from home. I wouldn't want to go back to only working from home.

I'm also looking forward to auto-cars where you can buy a service, book your car, get taken to where you want to go with no parking hassles, smooth driving, no worrying about the driver thinking he's still 18 and driving like a dick.

The flipside of that is that I'm also enjoying my new motorbike and I do enjoy driving. Will my grandchildren get to experience that? Will they care?

sarahk, Feb 25, 2018 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I've managed a sales team of fifteen people based around New England and all working remotely. Of course, being in sales, we saw each other regularly at client meetings, occasional lunches, etc., and mostly phone and email. Worked great. I am currently commuting into an office (over an hour drive each way) and really, really dislike it. Meeting the human need for socializing can be done in many ways and work is only one of them.

The current generation of kids are already much more ambivalent about driving than when I was kid. When I was a kid, everyone counted the days until they reached 16 to get their learner's permit and then 16.5 to get their driver's license. Many kids went on their birthdays and exactly six months after. My daughter was in no hurry to get her license (I don't recall exactly, but probably 9-12 months after she was eligible) and many of her friends were 18 and still had not bothered to get licensed to drive. My thinking is that they got so used to be driven everywhere by their parents that they did not feel the need to drive themselves.

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2018 IP
  16. directoryman

Best Answers:
    The younger the less likeliness of being aware of their surroundings. It is all about defensive driving, right?

directoryman, Feb 27, 2018 IP
  17. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Have you noticed how nobody talks about self-driving cars anymore (in the media). They prolly figured that it may take another 50 years before it truly happens, but by that time most of us will be too old to care or dead.

qwikad.com, Mar 1, 2018 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Our media talks about it a lot, doesn't appear to have died down at all.
    Maybe it's just drowned out by the rest of the hoopla you guys have going.

sarahk, Mar 1, 2018 IP
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It just could be that now the industry has moved into the initial testing and "growing pains" phase of the process. It is a pretty boring stage, unless something dramatic happens (e.g., a self-driving car kills someone or does something else really bad.) News outlets thrive on exciting new things and the initial excitement over the concept in the beginning has actually passed and we are into more mundane experimentation, engineering, etc.

And, BTW, there is not as much hoopla going on here as you think. Some in the media might want you to believe that narrative, but if you really look into things, it is not actually the case. Economy is chugging along, people are paying less taxes, business and consumer confidence are way up, unemployement way down, etc., etc. And, most important, the polls show that people really are starting to recognize this.

jrbiz, Mar 2, 2018 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    "here" being the important word. We all live in a place called "here" but mine is different from yours. And the point of "hoopla" is that it's at the surface. Digging deeper is always required.

sarahk, Mar 2, 2018 IP