1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seen any pictures lately?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 20, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Man, we both missed the boat.

Maybe Shawn will start a MAC Computer and Software Forum here at DP.

That would help us dummies catch up :mad:

anthonycea, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe maybe...

It would take a lot to convince me to switch.

Maybe if it made me a cup of coffee in the morning ;)

SEbasic, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe they put an Elle MacPherson photo portfolio in by default or a webcam into Shakira's tour bus and concerts. :rolleyes:

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've actually tried to make the reverse switch a couple times in the past (from Mac to PC)... simply because they are cheaper machines. I had Windows machines already, and I know more about Windows than my techie friends that use Windows, so it wasn't an issue of me being ignorant with Windows.

Both times I gave it two weeks... The weird thing is that with the Mac I simply can get twice the work done in the same amount of time. I tried to define exactly why that was, but I never was able to. So for me, the hardware is 25-50% more than a Windows machine, but that cost is small compared to how much more work I can get done. Not only that, I have fewer Windows machines and they are used far less than the Macs, but for whatever reason it's always the Windows machines that fail (hardware and software). Bottom line for me is I just want a computer that works when and how I want it to, and I want to maximize my efficiency.

The software I write for Windows is even developed on a Mac. ;)

digitalpoint, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    So when will you open the Mac Computer Forum as we have been asking for 6 months now?

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW. I think WMW is the only other place that I have seen with that many users.

How long has it been around Shawn?

SEbasic, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but we want more forums right here, I can go to a lot of other places and so can others, but we want to make you work :)

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Beats me... there are lots of huge Mac forums though... SpyMac has 784,588 USERS as of right now for example.

10. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm one of those poor souls whose computer went boom when I installed SP2. Nothing ran... even the start bar vanished after a few minutes. Had to save everything by going through Safe Mode and using memory sticks.

Of course, this is a machine I'm sharing with my sister, my computer only connects to my employer to send medical transcription files, so it's not at any risk; no connection to the internet as a whole. That's changing soon, though, because I'm moving out, so I'm deciding whether to start out chancing an SP2 install before I have anything much to lose.

Then again, my medical transcription program is :rolleyes: DOS-based, and I had a terrible time getting it installed in the first place, as I was the first employee to put it on an XP machine. Not too anxious to have to reinstall if things go wrong again.

stephfoster, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Get ahead of the game, next computer, buy a MAC Laptop like Shawn mentioned, you can plug stuff into it to make it a desktop if you want.

Will not be any good for running DOS stuff, you should have Shawn write you guys some up to date software.

Shawn, since MAC forums are so popular, sounds like DP could benefit from a MAC subject forum also. :cool:

12. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    I installed SP2 on my laptop with no problems, but the risk was low considering I just bought it a couple weeks before the SP2 install. I'm waiting to upgrade on my desktop until all some kinks are worked out.

As for the mac/pc debate: I made the mistake of switching from mac to pc for video editing. In some ways I think it takes me longer to do things on my P4 then it did on my G3 300mHz. Next upgrade I'm going to bite the bullet and get a mac again--especially given all the kick-ass multimedia software apple is putting out.

jebby, Sep 20, 2004 IP