1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seeing strange SERPs in google

Discussion in 'Google' started by Spacen, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. This too shall pass. ;)

ResaleBroker, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing something similar, but yesterday, two kw/s came back up and today they dropped off again. However, six others came back and only time will tell whether they stay up and if others come back as well.

mopacfan, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  3. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    My site is about 8-9 months old...my positions all skyrocketed this morning....

Whatever sandbox my site was stuck in has been removed. I had not even been ranked for a bunch of terms that were most important to me...(They are all high dollar adwords) Rankings arent great for them...(mid 20's)but it is a refreshing end to a never-ending wait.

There is a strong chance my site had been penalized heavily for duplicate content as my homepage was on another domain of mine-exactly- that had been forgotten about for the most part...until about a week or 2 ago

If so, I am the dumbest person on this message board...

ROAR, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  4. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a MAJOR GOOGLE EVENT going on now. It started on February 3rd!

I refer to it as an "event" because it there is a Google Backlink Update and at the same time MAJOR serp changes. The serp changes have been drastic as well as VERY unstable.

I have been keeping a table which I have updated at different times of the day. This table is the results for...

NOTE: That this page was at position #5 on Jan. 15 (I was keeping this table previously and stopped when G seemed to stablize)

ONE Page - ONE Keyword search across ALL of the Datacenters. The Red indicates that the position had changed from previous recording.

Datacenter Search February

If ANYONE thinks this is normal - you need to have your head examined!!!
    I have documented the results for this search on ALL of the Datacenters, EVERY day since April 2004.

If you are interested in viewing the entire Google results here is the Daily Update report.

ALSO: This morning, for the first time since mid June, another site I SEO that depended on the CITY, STATE included in the keywords as it is a local business, finally returned to Postion #1 and #2.

Keywords: electrical contractor rochester, ny

Here is where it has been since I have been using Keyword Tracker to track it

[​IMG]

Back in the Summer Google screwed up the search for sites such as this. Originally, I believe Google would prioritize the POSITION of the keywords in the search. So in this case electrical contractor would be a priority over the location! This kept the major Governtment, Education, Directories, Organizations, Phone Book Yellow Pages, etc at bay! Since mid last summer, every mega site with the words rochester, ny anywhere in it was returned first in a search for electrical contractor rochester, ny.

These new results are not from an old index, non-the-less, I hope that it is Google attempting to "fix" this six month old problem.

So, in conclusion, there is some sort of algorithim change (or trial) going on at the same time as a Google Backlink Update.

For those effected, hold onto your hats as it is not over yet.

If anyone is interested in seeing your search results on all of the Datacenters

The Datacenter Quick Check Tool now searches 33 Datacenters (more new Datacenters will be added very soon). This tool will also allow you to monitor ALL of the Datacenters for the current Google Backlink Update!

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  5. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is another one for ya!

[​IMG]

wrkalot, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  6. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    A look at Rank Pulse is showing many Feb 3rd changes, similar to those of mid to late December.

[​IMG]

wrkalot, you must be ecstatic!

Is there anything your searches involve that might indicate what Google might be changing?

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  7. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ecstatic hardly explains it. The first thing I did this morning was check my logs. When I saw 500 uniques at 11:pM and 40% were from google I just about passed out. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "Is there anything your searches involve that might indicate what Google might be changing?".

These positions are very similar to my pre-florida results (better actually). For the last year plus I have improved my on page and off page optimization as well as added tons of content. Most of my pages/kewords have been held back for unknown reasons.

wrkalot, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  8. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing that just occured to me...

One factor Google "lost" in their search algo late last spring was something that SEOs referred to as "Keyword Prominance".

Specifically, this was where the prominance in keyword placement on your page and in your page title, played an intregal part in the placement in the serps.

Google may have finally re-entered this back into their algo!!!

That would explain both my electrical contractor coming back as well as some of the smaller sites being able to once again overcome the monsters.

All of this talk just caused me to check on a site I gave up on since late spring because it sunk sooo deep into the serps. It has been #1 for allintitle, allinurl, and allinanchor, yet nowhere found in the serps.

the site is www sleeping - bag - shop com and the search is sleeping bag
    shop (I don't want digitalpoint forums out ranking me)

Here is what I just found on 4 Different Datacenters -

216.239.53.99 - #576
    216.239.39.99 - #13
    216.239.37.104 - ! (not found)
    216.239.37.147 - ! (not found)

In fact it is now #13 on 13 Datacenters and remains either Not Found or #576 on the other 20 Datacenters.

This is like the Phoenix rising from the ashes!

Absolutely NOTHING has been done to this site since last spring! It has little merit on its own. It was set up as an affiliate site. It has few backlinks. It was optimized primarily for keyword prominance, title and such but never had the Backlinking that would move it high in the serps.

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    This update sure is a rollercoaster...

Attached Files:

• kw2.jpg
      kw2.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
    ViciousSummer, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  10. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Big Big gains here.

Made it all the way to #4 for the term CADILLAC !!!!

Attached Files:

joeychgo, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  11. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I feel so left out :)

I've had almost no changes on any of my sites

disgust, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  12. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    The curious thing is that a couple of my client's sites that really jumped in the rankings are showing no pages in G using the site: query code. In the past, when a site disappeared from the index, it was usually gone from the search results. Not the case this time. The sites still show indifvidual cached pages, backlinks and PageRank, but display no pages with the query code.

TechEvangelist, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  13. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    ditto the above for me

Jim bob 9 pants, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  14. irish_ladie

irish_ladie Guest

Best Answers:
    All my KW's have gone up beautifully dont know whats happening but hopefully it stays this way for me...

Good luck everyone!

irish_ladie, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  15. Spacen

Spacen Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to update you on what I'm seeing with my keywords:

As of last night, mcdar's datacenter quick check tool was showing that my new #3 ranking and my BL increase had propogated to EVERY datacenter in the tool.

As of this morning I am no where to be found in half the datacenters. What in the heck is going on?

Spacen, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  16. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i dont think google's update has settled yet.

crazyhorse, Feb 8, 2005 IP