1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Security Precautions for a teen site.

Discussion in 'Security' started by just-4-teens, Sep 26, 2006.

hi all

what security precaustions can i put in place to make my teen site safer? i use vbadvanced along with vbulletin.

thanks

just-4-teens, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  2. codeber

codeber Peon

Best Answers:
    detailed faqs on what info not to give out
    limit the extent to which new members can interact
    have reporting systems in place for suspicious activity
    dont shows pictures to guests

codeber, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  3. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    yeh thats pretty much what i already do, i allow pms but have dissallowed email sending between members.

anyone else got some ideas?

just-4-teens, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  4. Endurer

Endurer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Disable html on all parts of your vbulletin website. It's a good idea to disallow guests from posting messages at your board as it also helps in keeping the spam away. Do not use third party modifications unless you trust the coder & make sure that there are no security holes in that modification. I personally wouldn't install the bells and whistles on my forum because "most" of them are grounds to an exploit that could lead to sql injections e.t.c.

I used phpBB before I decided to switch to vB, and on that phpBB board, there was big security hole that I wasn't aware of. They (some russians, perhaps) uploaded a malicious mail bombing script with the help of that exploit to my cache/ directory and sent 1.40 million emails every single day.. I discovered it while browsing my cache & took appropriate actions.. nevertheless I learnt my lesson and moved on.

The most important of all precautions is to update your forum software as soon as the vendor releases an update. Also, do not give admin permissions to anyone. Password proctect your admicp and modcp with htaccess, change the directory name of your admincp/modcp, give appropriate file permissions (644) to your php files.

Thats all I know of at the moment.

Endurer, Sep 30, 2006 IP