1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Security Comparisons: SMF & MyBB

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by RectangleMan, Nov 13, 2008.

Such attacks are really detrimental. Luckily Mybb hasn't had any reported problems in this area. I have to assume the smaller community of mybb forums means it's a lot less of a potential target. Sometimes it's nice being the little guy. Great thing is that mybb has more features than SMF or phpbb. :)

RectangleMan, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  2. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF is very insecure software. Probably the 2nd most insecure after phpbb (although phpbb might have improved by now, so I can't say).

Tarkan, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  3. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love how you keep on saying this although if your very knowledgeable you would know SMF is more secure from the backend.

A few factors here
    Size of myBB - SMF is about 10x the size of myBB and still has less vulnerabilities even in there latest beta.

There are no known exploits... If you called feel there is one feel free to hack my forums www.egadforums.com

How about you take a look at the vulnerabilities posted for each software than make a comment eh? Big codebase change or not SMF had a big codebase change in 2.0 yet it only had about 1 target. Pretty sad for a small software I have to admit.

shadow82x, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  4. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excuse me...what's your meaning of size? Because the Mybb package is LARGER than the SMF one. Just about everything is larger in Mybb except the member base. Mybb has a buttload more code to secure than SMF which is most likely the reason it's easier to secure. It's features are limited which in turn limits the amount of exploits possible.

WOW! Another forum admin touting the greatest of SMF who has a tiny forum which doesn't even require much work. You have barely altered the theme.

Man...I wonder how would you feel if you had a forum 250 times that size which I do. You would seriously need features that SMF lacks. Of course you think it kicks ass...you run a tiny forum. You would be just as happy with Punbb or even Vanilla...both of which imho are better than SMF

RectangleMan, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  5. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and what features does SMF lack you're referring to in regards to a forum the size you describe?

sawz, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  6. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Size as in user and amount of forums. Didn't think it would be that hard to comprehend but hey thats not the point.

Heh figures you would try to bash my forum. Looking at all your forums they are all based around the myBB theme too - foolish comment eh. Egad is more of a "in development" site too. Talking about big forums SMF has lots more too and more successful forums.

shadow82x, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  7. bluearrow

bluearrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I d love to know this too.

bluearrow, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  8. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Not bashing it at all. It's just tiny in comparison to mine and ones I have owned in the past.

Oh I understand that SMF has some very successful forums but those admins aren't involved in this conversation. I would love one with at least 250k posts and 10k members to chime in here with their experience (or frustrations) with SMF. However it appears the people discussing SMF with me are ones whose opinion I can't hold up very high. You might be a great guy. You might run great forums. You don't run successful ones. Maybe that's a fault I have but I can't take someone seriously that's at your level in this game.

I don't pretend to know about blogging. You shouldn't pretend you know about forums. You lack the experience.

It's like a 12 year old arguing with Bill Gates over software production. Reality check for you...your opinion isn't worth squat to me. I am sure the feeling is mutual so let's leave it at that.

9. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I have an anti-proxy mod for Mybb I created. It's semi-effective and has greatly reduced spam. :)

As far as I know...no other sites or forum software employs my techniques used.

10. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and what features would those be? 2 people have asked you three times yet you say nothing of value.

sawz, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  11. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of us probably have better things to do that get involved in such a discussion where 99.9% of the contributers are kids who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Bendo, Nov 15, 2008 IP
  12. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I feel like getting ready a reCaptcha plugin for Mybb so it's ready. Prevention is the key to site security.

RectangleMan, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  13. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    eh? http://mods.mybboard.net/view/recaptcha-ii
    I would hope most softwares have a recaptcha mod you gotta love it. :rolleyes:

shadow82x, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  14. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    nothing's more vulnerable than phpBB. I'm never, ever using that software again.

Pixelrage, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  15. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using MyBB... So far no current vulnerabilities, no security threats, not even warnings on the new versions.
    I checked the code myself, has a lot more security than weak SMF.

As a security expert, it is 100% true that SMF is currently more insecure than any other forum (although PHPbb may contest that).

MyBB is very secure, and haven't had any spammer trouble either.

LET ME BE CLEAR TO NOT FUEL DEBATE--- MyBB MAY have been more insecure in the past, and perhaps in the past, SMF was MORE secure --- but no one can deny that currently SMF is more insecure than MyBB, no one.

I'm not here to debate you, I'm giving you my analysis of both forum software, I have no stake in MyBB, I don't work for them, I was the one who started a thread, asking people WHICH software was better, --- in fact, I hated MyBB at first, before I read its code.

Tarkan, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  16. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Figures you would bring it up in a SMF only topic. Read

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=9855131#post9855131

You have no analysis and keep on stating when SMF1.1.7 is insecure with no proof, you never even hacked a forum, or made any sign of a report. Nice lies. Not go bash your own topic. If you can read code (which I doubt you can if you couldn't install myBB) you can obviously tell SMF is more secure. Feel free to debate via PM - I dont see why we should kill another topic when the OP was asking for assistance.

And saying SMF is more insecure now. Why not compare the SMF2.0 version to the myBB1.4 version that would be more accurate in that case. I find a good joke saying SMF is less secure than myBB. But amuse me some more. :D

shadow82x, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  17. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Stop accusing me of lying, you don't know me, you don't know my background, and I have already proven it.
    You're the only liar who keeps on repeating the same garbage lies like "SMF is so secure".

Are you SMF's lawyer? Get a life.

Tarkan, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  18. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have proven what? That you an hack a SMF forum although you have never? Claiming SMF has a ton of security flaws yet you can't link to any? Claiming your a master at security yet can't point out anything? How am I lying that SMF is more secure than myBB. Everything I stated is factual - everything you said was made up. Also I guess you cant come up with a "kickass excuse" about my last post because its all facts. Sorry. Even rectangleman stated before that he knew the SMF code was built more securely.

Maybe I should be a lawyer because I know a software better than you. And always comes down to the "You Don't have a life excuse" when someone loses an argument. Guess what? I have a life and I have a great social life. I myself have been using forums for 3 years now. You?

Im totally professional about this.. You just need to control yourself a bit more instead of defending something you dont even know.

Regards,

shadow82x, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  19. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a SMF forum up for almost 2 years that I've actually forgotten about...it was a project I never had time to keep working on. Anyway, even after all of that time, there wasn't a single issue with the board, not even a single spammer...but there were several posts :D

Pixelrage, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  20. MechPoint

MechPoint Banned

Best Answers:
    The most updated versions of SMF surely aren't insecured. What are you guys on about? It's just those versions below 1.1.5 which can easily be hacked.

That being said, I personally think SMF is better than MyBB.

MechPoint, Nov 26, 2008 IP