1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Secrets of becoming an ODP editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Alucard, Nov 4, 2005.

An interesting BLOG that I had my attention called to is at http://becoming-a-odp-editor.blogspot.com/

This person allegedly started the BLOG to document their progress in becoming an ODP editor. The last post on October 24th contains a lot of stuff which reflect my own experiences with the ODP.

While I know that the usual detractors will downplay this, I have noticed the trend of posting links to all criticism of the ODP on this forum, and thought I would try to even the balance a little.

I do not know this person. I don't even know their editor name. I can not verify any of the statements made in the Blog, other than that they reflect my own.

Alucard, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I predict edits 3-4 websites, gets bored and never looks at another again :p (or adds his own sites then never looks again LOL)

lorien1973, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  3. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i wish someone there would freaking allow me to be listed. i have been trying for years to get in with no luck. WTF do i have to do give blowjobs to editors to get in? i mean seriously, look at the crap quality of some of thier listed sites. >=\

ly2, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  4. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    ly2, what does that have to do with the process of becoming an editor?

Alucard, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  5. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Your site (assuming it is the one on your profile) is in a sector that has an exceedingly high level of submissions and a very high spam rate. Therefore it will take a lot longer to review, on average, than sites on other subjects. It also means the quality bar for listing is that much higher - is yours the most informatative and comprehensive on the subject? If so it stands a chance, if not then its chances of being listed are greatly diminished.

It also has an Adult directory and whilst that may not prohibit the listing of the site in the general part of the directory it may reduce the number of editors willing to review it for personal reasons.

I hear your point about the quality of existing listings. If you believe there is a quality control problem there is a section of the Resource Zone site where this can be reported. Sites may have been listed years ago when the market was less well developed and haven't stood the test of time.

Sorry not to give you better news but hope it helps anyway.

brizzie, Nov 7, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I predict he adds all his sites... deletes a few sites of his competitors, and never comes back

fryman, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  7. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    The point is: he got IN. And, whatever your motives are, this is some of the best advice I have seen about how to get in.

Alucard, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  8. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    The blog was an interesting little "diary" with some good points, especially on patience, persistence and professionalism; a good diets of Ps :)

wrmineo, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  9. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    bah, what secrets? all you need is an understanding of editing guidelines, good english on the application form, and a fair bit of patience (it can take a bloody long time to get your application reviewed!). If you're not up for the whole volunteering thing, don't bother. Though nobody likes to be kept waiiting, whatever the circumstances, in general I think the people most bothered by the wait involved are probably the people who feel they have something tangible to gain from becoming an editor...

bradley, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Bradley, I think that was the point... :)

Alucard, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  11. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You stole my prediction. :D

Now that there's a published step-by-step with good guidance on how to get in we can expect quite a few more corrupt editors :)

I look forward to the rants that will ensue when people's listings start getting deleted by rabid deranged editors :D

GeorgeB., Nov 10, 2005 IP
  12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I think anyone with a modicum of intelligence intending to scam the ODP would have already worked out all these "secrets" for themselves, because the point is there ARE no secrets.

I think this is in answer to all the questions on fora about how difficult it is to become an ODP editor.

You also make the assumption that when an editor gets "in", they are free to do whatever they want without being watched....

Alucard, Nov 10, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  13. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Like Alucard mentioned, there are no secrets about becoming an editor. The editorial guidelines are available online, that cover every aspect of being an editor. Read carefully, and you will learn what it takes to be an editor and the checks and balances that are in place to remove the rogue ones.
    There is an abuse reporting mechanism in place which is a very efficient way to bring up substantiated abuse allegations. Senior editors that take these issues very seriously and it is very hard for a malicious editor to go unnoticed for long. The removal of unscrupulous editors is not made public for many legitimate reasons, least of which is, the value of such information for general public and the directory users.
    This thread is about one editor’s personal experience of the process. At least, give this individual a benefit of the doubt before we start slapping labels.

riz, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You mean female impersonators? :confused:

minstrel, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  15. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don’ believe so. DMOZ is open to all volunteers.:)
    I fixed the error.;)

riz, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  16. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    pssst.... someone stole one of the websites in your signature too :eek:

(I may steal your avatar :cool: )

compostannie, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  17. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say I have never waited very long for my original application or any extension of my editing rights. I do understand it is taking a lot longer than in the past. But there have been some high profile insider blogs by corrupt multi-headed arsehole (now ex-) editors. Perhaps meta editors are being a lot more careful. Jimnoble, in the "other place" outlined the other day the current process and it seems much more cautious in making sure candidates are bone fide than I understand it has been in the past. Two stages - first pass for quick elimination of obvious no thankyous, second pass for detailed consideration. So the longer you wait means, maybe, you got past the first stage. Good. Not so good it takes longer. Good we're being more careful. Balance. Counter-balance. You won't please everyone no matter what.

brizzie, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  18. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Many rushing thoughts. Must stop thinking now.:)

riz, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  19. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That reminds of "Oh brother, where art thou?" That was a very good movie :)

lorien1973, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  20. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:

(altogether now, " I love the nightlife, I love to boogie"...)

Secrets to being an editor. Pssst here they are ..

If you are REALLY in it for the editing and not just for listing your own site ? And best be honest with yourself really, carry on, if not stop reading here.

1) choose a non-commercial category, if you have personal experience or a genuine interest there so much the better.

2) Choose one that doesn't have 300 or so listings already in it. One with 10 to 50 already in there perhaps ?

Applying for terribly 'commercial' cats like webdesign/seo/top villa holidays/shopping etc when they are alreadly so over subscribed, is probably not the best move in applying for editorship. And probably IS as mentioned, the reason many apply in order to get one's personal web-site design/seo/shopping related company listed.

Forget it ! You really don't think it's been seen before ?

Dmoz will see you coming 100 miles off ! Don't even start the application form if this is what you have in mind. You will 99.9% be declined for those sort of cats. Hence 99.9% of the complaints IMHO. No point, so don't try it and waste your time and the person's reviewing your application.

If you are a webdesign guru or similar, it won't matter. There are already enough experienced editors there ATM to be going along with. And no-one would want to take a chance on a newbie in there for the first time perhaps listing a few sites of their own for personal gain now would we ? No-one wants that surely ? (Not that they would get far anyway but thats another story).

You'll probably be declined. Try a non-commercial cat, and if you're set on a commercial one, well I gotta ask myself why that is ? And if you get in, you can always find out how things really work and work yourself up to those later.

3) Complete the editor application form.

4) Be honest about affliliations. They are no barrier to being an editor as long as you vaguely follow the other steps. Who cares if you're affiliated with 50 web design or seo or shopping companies. If you're applying for Kids and Teens 'Homework Help' or your home town's cat or similar ? It won't matter.

5) Check that the 2 or 3 suggestions within the application form are completely relevant to the category you're applying for.

6) Check that they are not already listed in Dmoz by using the search function. If they are ? Look for another one.

7) Make sure your spelling and grammar is ok. ( I don't say perfect because mine certainly wasn't when I checked my application the day after sending it), but within the descriptions of the 3 sites you're suggesting it's probably an advantage. Also helps to look at the descriptions already in there and take the lead from there.

8) Try and remove all 'hype' from the descriptions ( phrases like 'best site', 'absolute must see', ' No1 site in ....' or ' Holy cow you've got to see this' or general words to that effect ) should be avoided at ALL costs.

9) Wait

And that's it.

Ps I'm only 'Shygirl' online and at weekends, the rest of the week , call me Bert.

shygirl, Nov 10, 2005 IP