1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SearchFox Beta - Official Release

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by ekozak, Feb 17, 2005.

Hi all,

I am the Product Manager for SearchFox (www.searchfox.com). I want to introduce our new beta release and would like to receive feedback from the Digital Point community.

SearchFox is a search platform. It allows you to create bookmarks using your own words, and search your bookmarks, your friend's bookmarks and the SearchFox community bookmarks at the same time. We call it "search platform" because it redirects you to Google if it doesn't have something better to show you.

SearchFox also includes the following cool features:

- Real-time Search: dynamically constructs search results as you type

- Keyword Suggest: displays keywords used by other members of the community when you add a bookmark to prevent folksonomies to break

- Groups: share bookmarks of everything your friends, colleagues and groups want to organize online

- Publish: transform a Blogger weblog into a collaborative portal. Following you will find two demo examples (the lists on the right and search box are powered by SearchFox):

http://searchfoxdemo.blogspot.com/

http://patagoniaindoors.blogspot.com/

Our beta version is invite only, but you can request an account at:

http://www.searchfox.com/company.php?page=welcome

At this point, we want to build an early adaptors community to get feedback on current and future features. Therefore, we'll grant accounts until our server reaches capacity.

Please reply to this posting or send us an email to info@searchfox.com with your feedback.

Thank you.

ekozak, Feb 17, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I got an account, but I really do not understand what it is. I see that I can download a search bar for use with a Windows PC and IE neither of which I use. Saw something about FF plugins, but not sure I want to install any.

So I figured this was a "Search Engine". When I ran the "Search" from the sites search page, it ends up at Google with Google output. I guess I am not understanding what you are offering. Looks interesting however. I figured this was a new search engine, but it appears to be more of a search tool?

Any clarification would be helpful.. Thank you.

Mia, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  3. ekozak

ekozak Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right. SearchFox is not a generic search engine. SearchFox is a bookmarking tool with features that allow you to use it as your search platform.

SearchFox allows you to save all the pages you find useful or interesting using your own language. Then, searches your bookmarks, your group's bookmarks and the SearchFox community bookmarks. If your query does not match any bookmarks, it will go directly to Google.

General search engines are flat and provide wide range of results. Search Fox is deep and provides specific results*. (* note: once you develop a rich index or join already established groups)

On SearchFox, you add entries to your index using a search workflow rather than a "add to favorites" workflow. So you are basically adding a whole new set of highly relevant, human indexed content to your algorithmic Google results when you search.

In addition, you can do very cool stuff like: real-time search, keyword suggest, and index sharing and publishing.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

ekozak, Feb 22, 2005 IP
  4. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Kinda like stumbleupon.com and del.ico.us I guess..

I requested an account, sounds kinda cool.

Josh

Josh, Feb 22, 2005 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used it briefly.

It was a little confusing, but could certianly become handy if I got in the habit of using it.

SEbasic, Feb 22, 2005 IP