1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Search Multiple Servers Simultaneously

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by mduke, Jul 7, 2004.

Anyone know whether DigitalPoint's search engine can be modified to search multiple URLs (servers) simultaneously?

I was thinking maybe one could define multiple $key and $site variables (e.g., $key, $key2, etc.), get the APIs and then replace every occurrence of the original two variables with the new ones. But before going this route I figured I may as well ask to see if anyone else has already done this and, if so, how.

mduke, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, it probably would require some hacking of the script (basically making a call for each server). The problem you would have is the ranking order based on relevancy since the would be separate results.

Since the search engine script uses Google on the backend, it has the same limitations as Google with the operators it uses.

Now, if you just wanted to search any site within a specific domain, you could do it by setting the site to domain.com. Here's an example:

Search for Shawn within www.digitalpoint.com
    Search for Shawn within forums.digitalpoint.com
    Search for Shawn within either

But beyond that, there isn't a whole lot you can do (since it's bound by Google's limitations).

digitalpoint, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  3. mduke

mduke Peon

Best Answers:
    Yah, Shawn, that solution had already occurred, but I want to ensure I'm understanding you: you're saying have multiple search forms on the same page, each indicating which server you'd be searching, correct?

This may be a possibility. I think I'd have to come up with some good contextual aids but that probably wouldn't be too hard (e.g., our 2nd server is mostly administrative function resources like reservation calendars, but it would be interesting to see how the search engine handles information generated by a Perl script).

mduke, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You could have a single form, with a drop-down box asking the user which server to search (have the $site variable within the form/drop-down box, rather than hard-coded in the results.php file).

digitalpoint, Jul 8, 2004 IP