1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

search.msn.com vs search.msn.co.uk

Discussion in 'Bing' started by daamsie, Jan 5, 2005.

Am I the only one who has noticed marked increases in visits from search.msn.co.uk?? In fact, it's more than search.msn.com at the moment.

I checked the serps in both and there are definitely some better results for us in the co.uk site. There's also a lot more pages in their index it seems (although not for our site when I do a site: search). They aren't the same results as Beta.

I can't say I've really been following MSN at all much - does anyone else know whether the two sites (co.uk and com) use different algorithms / data? Just curious.

daamsie, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    depending where you're at ... I believe it's possible!

Blogmaster, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  3. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Msn.co.uk definately does produce different results than .com (I'm #1 for several keywords on .co.uk but nowhere to be found on .com). I imagine what's happening is that the UK version gives greater weight to UK-based sites and backlinks from UK-based sites - and I would assume this is also the case for other local versions of the new MSN search.

norfstar, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This is the case yes.

dcristo, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  5. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Daamsie, results are different in co.uk than .com - if you take the term 'vacation rentals' our site is #6 in co.uk and #23 in .com

I don't think its' a different algo, maybe its relating to the IP of the site, or some geo thingy setting. MSN is bringing me great results, and increased traffic which is great, long live MSN (I never imagined me saying that lol)

DarrenC, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is alot more to it than just localisation, I have a new site, already its indexed and ranking well for certain terms on MSN.co.uk (it has about 100 or so backlinks and thats about it, but it is near the top of the pile for around 2m results, against relevant sites.. obviously, the site is not ranking in G (although indexed). It is a UK site with UK hosts but backlinks are not UK specific. My initial guess is that 'on page' is a little weighter than it used to be - maybe.

Design Agent, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  7. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Rounde. I don't think it's just localisation. Our site is in no way a British site. Sure, we have some links from UK sites, but no more than most I'd think. It's strange. Although, the extra visits seem to have dropped off now.

daamsie, Jan 28, 2005 IP