1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Search Engines Drive Me Crazy

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by mikelbeck, Sep 7, 2005.

These search engines really make my head hurt.

I've got one site, the only thing listed in Google was the main page, even though Google had been hammering the site for weeks. Yesterday I submitted a sitemap, today there's 20+ pages in Google.

I put up a site for a client, she never got around to putting anything on it. It's got a "coming soon" page, but nothing else. That site has a PR of 3 and 44 backlinks in Google. I guess that proves that the links are more important than the content for page ranking.

I've been building another site for the last week or so - there are absolutely 0 links to it from anywhere. It already has a page listed in Yahoo and MSN!

mikelbeck, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  2. Bigebiz

Bigebiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol..
    Ranking importance =

1) DMoz / Google directory
    2) Anchor links
    over content and Url every time ( for now)

Bigebiz, Sep 11, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.
  3. Bigebiz

Bigebiz Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL some one gave me a negative rep point on that..LOL.. Love to see that person's evidence.

Keyword in URL and Content density of Keyword do not weigh as much as Dmoz? Google Directory links and "allinachor" Links in the current Google Algorthim is my Point.. Data proves it. ( for now)

If you are going to give negative points and rep..show your face and your evidence :)

Bigebiz, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is important to point out that 'Page Rank', and where a page ranks are two different things entirely. It is for this reason that everyone in the industry refers to where your page ranks in a search result as 'Serp's ' Search engine results pages.

Back to it. the ONLY thing that affects page rank is links, and the value of those links by way of their own page ranks divided by the amount of links on that page (internal and external) minus the dampening factor of around 15% .

Determining where your page ranks in the SERP's is a whole different ballgame, where page rank plays a very very small part in it (apart from when there is a duplicate page situation when it is out and out the page with the higher page rank is shown, the lower being removed from the SERP's.

The most important things for a High position in the Serp's are

Page title
    Anchor text of links
    Importance of sites linking to you.

There are differences between the search engines though, and some put more weight on sheer volume of links, navigation structure of the site, internal anchor text links etc.

Oh & It wasn't me who gave you neg rep, as very rarely do I give neg rep, and when I do I always say why I am doing it, and who I am ;) Just the same as when I give positive rep. No point in praising or beationg up on someone unless they benefit from it lol.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 11, 2005 IP
    1 person likes this.