1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scumbag Webmaster Not Giving Credit for Comments

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by roezer, Jan 25, 2010.

I had an Email Today that someone has made a New Comment on a Post I was Subscribed to and went to Read the New Comment When I tried to click on the Links to the other comments I noticed that the Webmaster Had pointed all comments to his Own Post in Short using the Peoples Comments and Gravatar and Not Providing a Link to their Site have you came Across such cases before and Can you Do Anything about it

roezer, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  2. Beim

Beim Peon

Best Answers:
    Just report to mods.

Beim, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  3. Warll

Warll Peon

Best Answers:
    @Beim, there is no such thing as The Internet Police.

@roe, did the web-master promise you a backlink? Did you pay for one? What on earth are you complaining about just because he does not follow convention.

Warll, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  4. roezer

roezer Active Member

Best Answers:
    @warll My Comment My Gravatar My opinion My Time
    as you said Convention but if more webmasters done this how would the whole Blogosphere be. There is no real problem with it but if many webmasters done this would there be any point in commenting on blogs.

It could be worth checking in future before you comment on blogs are they linking out I thought that this would be an Interesting topic to bring up also because what is the benefit to him and why is he even doing because he allows hmtl in the comment form but I do not like to put code in my comments unless necessary because it looks like spam

roezer, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  5. adbox

adbox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Interesting! Whats the webpage link?

adbox, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  6. roezer

roezer Active Member

Best Answers:
    @adbox I don't want to Give him any Credit here so i have sent it in a Pm

roezer, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  7. trosquin

trosquin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Such is the brakes with the Internet. A webmaster can do anything he likes with his own site....he could make it a dofollow then change it to nofollow if he so wishes. He could also delete all comments and links!

trosquin, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  8. myp

myp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't even have the url field on some of my blogs (on some I do, others I don't.) Frankly, comments are not supposed to be a place for people to go around just dropping their links. The primary purpose is to be just what their name implies- a place for people to share comments on the post. You really can't complain...

myp, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  9. SuburbanDollar

SuburbanDollar Peon

Best Answers:
    Last time I checked commenting was to be part of the conversation, not to get back links.

If the only reason you comment on a post is to get the link you probably aren't providing a comment worth a link. When you have a site with hundreds of comments on every post you are leaching a lot of link juice, especially linking both the gravatar and the name out. I only link out on the Gravatar image and not the posters name, guess I am a SCUMBAG webmaster, but one with a PR5.

SuburbanDollar, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  10. roezer

roezer Active Member

Best Answers:
    And would the conversation not Expand a little further if you are to read the Blogs of the Conservators to see what they have to Say on the topic

roezer, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  11. SuburbanDollar

SuburbanDollar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure but who links to a post in their the URL field of a comment? Only way someone is clicking through to continue the conversation is to include a URL in the comment which I allow provided it truly does extend the conversation.

SuburbanDollar, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  12. myp

myp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily. In fact, most often probably not. How often is it that you see someone come back to your blog after following a commentator's link to add something useful and on-topic?

myp, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  13. roezer

roezer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good point I do Sometimes but many just link to their Homepage I guess it is up to the webmaster I am just looking at it from a Bloggers point of View

roezer, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  14. roezer

roezer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not very often but it's Competition which is also a good thing to keep you motivated

roezer, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  15. myp

myp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you are saying that in order for one to gain an advantage against competition (through that motivation), they should help the competition out with a free link? That logic seems a little distorted :p

And what about those who can stay motivated anyway? Maybe that "scumbag" webmaster makes 1000s per day off his blog and that is enough to motivate him- he doesn't need to look at his competition. Sorry, but you are making a very weak argument.

myp, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  16. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    There technically is police on the Internet but they focus on things like criminals not people acting devious. Either way there is not much you can do about it unless you know of any actual crimes he's committed because then you could have the police arrest him :p

TimothyJohn, Jan 26, 2010 IP