1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scrolling marquee problem

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by WebFreedom, Mar 25, 2008.

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with the HTML scrolling marquee tag that I'm hoping you can help resolve (code attached below). The problem: The list of companies included in the data scrolls fine, but when it ends, it scrolls all the way to the top of the cell before starting again. Ideally, I'd like it to be one continuous scroll, so that the list starts again at the top as soon as it reaches the bottom, with no break.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, and since I'm an HTML novice, any other suggestions to improve the code are also welcomed. :)

Sam

~~~~~

<td style="border:solid 2px #999999" width="220" height="170" colspan="4" rowspan="3">
    <marquee scrollamount="1" scrolldelay="10" direction="up" width="220" height="170"
    align="center" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 8pt">
    <p align="center">The John H. Harland Company<br>
    Continental Plastic Containers<br>
    Johnson Controls Plastic Container Division<br>
    Schmalbach-Lubeca Plastic Containers<br>
    Silgan Plastics<br>
    Novapak<br>
    United States Army<br>
    United States Air Force<br>
    United States Navy<br>
    General Motors<br>
    Ford Alternative Fuels R & D<br>
    Bethlehem Steel<br>
    Boeing<br>
    Airbus<br>
    Sherex/OPW<br>
    Cessna Aircraft<br>
    Lear Jet<br>
    B/E Aerospace<br>
    Air Canada<br>
    American Airlines<br>
    Enidine<br>
    Enivate<br>
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber<br>
    Dunlop Tire<br>
    Swagelok<br>
    Bell Helicopter<br>
    Weber Aircraft Seating<br>
    Bombardier<br>
    Thomas Built Buses<br>
    Los Angeles Rapid Transit<br>
    San Diego Gas and Electric<br>
    Dallas Area Rapid Transit<br>
    Southern California Gas and Electric<br>
    Atlanta Olympic Games Natural Gas Vehicle Refueling<br>
    Federal Clean Cities<br>
    New Flyer Bus<br>
    Blue Bird Bus<br>
    Cleveland Rapid Transit<br>
    Toronto Area Rapid Transit<br>
    Rochester Gaslight<br>
    Delta Airlines<br></p>
    </marquee></td>

WebFreedom, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  2. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I highly recommend not using marquee, but it does have its purposes:

scrollamount="1" 
    Code (markup):
    Remove that that might fix it.

Using <marquee direction="up"> should be all you need, though the direction attribute is not read by firefox.

blueparukia, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  3. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone hates marquee, but if I ever had a Stock Exchange site, I'd love to have one like the ticker going. With a script loading the read stats from New York and Copenhagen... awesome.

Having a marquee list of companies scrolling up and down is one way to take a long list and make it fit in a smaller area, while also catching the eye (the scroll should be slow though).

I've seen on Con Agra's site (it's gone now I think) a Flash or Javascript scroll of products on the lefthand side, where the mouse position determines which direction the scroll is. You could click on any product and go to its sub-page. It was kinda neat, and smooth enough not to be annoying.

Stomme poes, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  4. mds

mds Active Member

Best Answers:
    I always use marquee in my designs as i find it one of the best ways to grab your visitors attention.

mds, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  5. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey All,

Thanks very much for your suggestions and input. I tried removing the 'scrollamount' attribute, but it had no effect. I tried a bunch of other things, as well, and also did some more research online, and it looks like there's no way to remove the gap at the end of the scroll with this tag.

Does anyone know of anything else, HTML or otherwise, that might accomplish the same task but with the ability to remove the gap?

Thanks again,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  6. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Likely Javascript... search teh googles for "slideshow" as that's usually what they are called.

The gap problem can appear in these javascripts too but everyone always complains about them and there's likely a fix.

Second thing would be Flash. Less accessible than Javascript (and Javascript itsn't all that accessible either), but you could set the space between the last clip's last object and the next clip's first object I would think.

mds:
    the problem with marquee is the same problem with Javascript: everyone abused it so badly it's associated with jumpy flashing blinking monstrosities. Click my sig... most browsers show the whole thing. It's called the website from hell, making full, beautiful use of marquee and blink tags. : )

Stomme poes, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  7. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that - I'll look around to see if I can find a JavaScript script that'll work. Nice site, by the way - I'm a big Steve Martin fan... :D

Sam

WebFreedom, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  8. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to be clear: it's not any site of mine. It's made by Evan? Goers. He made it after Anne van Kesteren said something about scary blogs I think.

Stomme poes, Mar 28, 2008 IP