1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scraping from host Gpotato.net

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by camjohnson95, Jun 3, 2013.

Hi All,

I have recently received some suspicious activity on my website over the previous few days from a user with a hostname of Gpotato.net. Several thousand pageviews over the previous few days have been recorded.

I looked into it a little further and could only find one forum post on the internet where a few different people have had the same thing occur, from the same host:
    http://www.freshmarketingforum.com/threads/weird-site-traffic-coming-from-san-jose-california.1358/

I'm assuming that this is someone hijacking the hostname as the company that it is registered to seems legit.

According to a couple of people their traffic has dropped off to practically nothing just a few days after receiving the excessive visits from this host.
    This hasn't happened to me yet, but I have only just noticed the crawling and it had been going on three days. I have tried to block the host and IP through htaccess but am unsure if this has worked or not.

Any theories as to why this would be happening? I don't see why anyone would want to crawl this website as it is products that we stock, not really content that could be re-used. I find it odd that other admins have had similar traffic from this host and then experienced negative effects on their traffic.

Is it possible that this is a blackhat technique being used by a competitor (or more likely someone a competitor has hired). I understand Google hates duplicate content. If someone was to crawl an entire website and launch several other websites with exactly the same content, would this affect the original website negatively (particularly if it is a relatively new website)?

Looking forward to your opinions and advice.

Thanks,
    Cam

camjohnson95, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  2. Sukha Bansi

Sukha Bansi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    copyscrape protect your articles so goole will know that your site has original content.

Sukha Bansi, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  3. pnp4all

pnp4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    may be you are safe... google has probably taken this thing in to the latest update..... m not sure..

pnp4all, Jun 5, 2013 IP