1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scary incident: records in Activity_ table deleted

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by devnull4u, Sep 13, 2004.

Shawn,

We had a very odd incident with OG today. An employee was working with a customer today changing their email password. He went into their record, clicked on Services, double-clicked on the email account, changed the password, and clicked on the Change Pass button (he has done this procedure literally hundreds of times before). He told me he had a couple of error messages flash by (too fast to read) and then a message about deleting around 15,000 records appeared. He called me on my cell phone and I was able to come in and have a look a few minutes later (10-15 minutes). When I arrived it appeared to me that the records in the Activity_ table had been deleted. We lost all messages, to-do's, planner, tech support notes, and call activity across the entire database....we haven't noted any other losses yet.

This employee does not have any deletion rights and no-one has the God-Level delete rights. Audit trail doesn't seem to pick up this activity either.

We are using FM5.03 Server and clients.

Have you heard of things like this ever happening to anyone else? Possible causes? We've been using OG since 1999 and have never seen anything like this before!

Rick Rountree
    Dundee.Net

devnull4u, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmmm... I have never heard of anything like that before to be honest. I can't think if anywhere to even look for it to be a possibility since the services (and changing a password on an email) doesn't make any reference to anything within the Services table. As far as what is in that table, you are right, the things you mentioned are the only things in that table.

I will do a little testing on this end (although going to be a little hard to troubleshoot if I can't make it happen), but for now you probably will just want to restore that table from a backup.

digitalpoint, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  3. devnull4u

devnull4u Peon

Best Answers:
    Assuming what the employee told me isn't entirely accurate...is there any way in the OG interface, including scripts, to delete all the records in the Activity_ table?

Rick Rountree
    Dundee.Net

devnull4u, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, there is not.

digitalpoint, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  5. Junichiro-Tokuoka

Junichiro-Tokuoka Peon

Best Answers:
    it may be a bug in the program where arbitry code is stored unintentionaly and then releases to perform unusual requests and actions. Otherwise known as the ghost in the machine. AND STUFF LIKE THIS DUS HAPPEN AND EXSIST.
    :p

Junichiro-Tokuoka, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  6. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds like a malfunction. 1 in a million

kirby009, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  7. Martens

Martens Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like:eek:

Martens, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  8. w424637

w424637 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks great post

w424637, May 14, 2008 IP
  9. Twine

Twine Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm very strange, how many times has it happened? Never seen that before..

Twine, Feb 4, 2009 IP