1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Scammer Forum for Marketplace

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by evershawn, Mar 22, 2013.

Hi,

I'd like to request a top level Scammer Report forum so that legit community members can take a pro-active role in reporting shady dealers.

Example of why it would help:

I recently submitted a WTB post for SEO anchor links. I can't believe the amount of people attempting to run old scams with fake 301'd Page Ranked domains. I'd be happy to take the time (as I'm sure others would as well) to report these scumbags and make the community aware of the scammer and how the scam works.

I would be nice if the community could make reports there to prevent other possibly less savvy members from falling for their scams unknowingly. This is just one example I'm sure there are tons of other popular scammers and scams that could be reported there and help the community as a whole from being victum.

Thoughts?

evershawn, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  2. Sharpay

Sharpay Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would be a good idea, because the abuse could rack up quickly. There's already a way to report every post, where you can write a description to a staff member. Alternatively, you could PM a mod as well.

I think if we open up a forum to post where people have scammed you will open up a can of worms. Lets say my logo contest ends and something comes up. I have to run to Portland to help my cousin--I'm going to drive 2 hours to see her, help her out, and probably stay the night. Well I owe someone $20, but I haven't paid yet.

Lots of people just steal the logo, edit out the watermarks, and leave. If I won a contest and didn't hear back from the owner for 48 hours, I would panic, too.

But the problem then becomes that AvgJoe heads over to those forums and makes a post about how "SHARPAY IS A SCAMMER SHE STOLE MY LOGO" So then I get back, assure this person that I'm not scamming them, and pay up... (Even though now I kind of don't want to, because how dare you slander me!)

The mods may then remove the thread, but the damage has already been done.

edit: I think we should encourage members to be more pro-active like you and I -- because I, also, report every single scam-y and spam-y thread I find. I'll be sheriff in no time :p

Maybe we could have a sticky for common scam attempts, how to spot them, and how to avoid them that could be updated as new scams come out without having to call out a certain person.

Sharpay, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not going to happen... it would just become a crapshow of he said, she said... you say something bad about someone, then they start a scammer thread about you...

There are entire sites already dedicated to it. For example: https://www.ripoffreport.com/

While it might not be practical, my honest best advice is to just don't buy or sell links. It's such an *incredibly* spammy industry it always boggles my mind when people are surprised if someone rips them off. It's like going to the worst part of Detroit, trying to find a drug dealer to sell you some heroin. Then you get surprised that the drug dealer isn't a stand up guy. "I was trying to buy heroin and the dude tried to keep my change! WTF?!?!"

Another option is use an escrow service... that's what they are there for.

Another good idea is only buy from people with Selling threads... because then at the very least you at least know they own the domain they are trying to sell you crap on.

digitalpoint, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  4. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    I get it and I understand what I'm getting myself in to when I open a WTB thread for something like this. Many people do the same and you can only hope they know how to deal with the 'heroin dealers' of DP. I pack heat myself, simply meaning just my experience dealing with and knowing all of the common scam tactics.

I can see the point of it being a potential can of worms. I think creating a guide COULD be good but then again it may just show some of the 'heroin dealers' how to deal better heroin.

And Shawn, I agree that it's a spammy industry but because of that you occasionally have to fight fire with fire (in no way saying that finding a quality site here to buy on is easy). But occasionally you can find a few worth dealing with.

Goal here is to just find a way to combat these asshats a bit and make them feel unwelcome and any scam I can make a bit harder for them to run is a step in the right direction which also is synergistic with stepping up the quality of user on DP (as is your mission, right?)

evershawn, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I swear by the blood of the three headed clown God (please refrain from making fun of my religious beliefs) that you are simply trying to come up with an alternative to the 3 like system, which you have voiced opposition to.
    The 3 like system has proven to be a success as to reducing spammers so....your suggestion isn't needed. (not saying that it doesn't have any merit, just not needed.)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  6. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

Actually this has nothing to do with the likes system. This has to do with recent experience. Put up a WTB thread got 100 PM's out of China, India and Pakistan and a lot of them are running scams. This doesn't speak to just low quality (this sums up the rest of them) but actually trying to trick people in to giving them money for something they don't actually have to sell. This has nothing to do with likes because the likes system does not play in to if a person can send you a PM or view marketplace threads at all.

evershawn, Mar 23, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.