1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scalability advice - Please help!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by cycad321, Apr 2, 2008.

hey everyone,

we are a young social networking website that is growing fast. we are coded in ASP.NET and use SQL Server 2005. We allow for members to create profiles, upload music, video, and images. We currently have only about 15,000 members and so far the site has been doing ok (knock on wood!).

As we start growing more and more, we want to ad another server or two to the site, but aren't really sure what the best configuration might be. Should we have 2 database servers and 1 application server? Should we just add another server and implement a fail-over switch? load balancer?

I am really not sure what is the best and most efficient configuration to run. Please help!

let me know what more info you need - THANKS!

cycad321, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  2. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure 2 or 1 db servers, it depends on how your site is working. However, when using multiple db servers, you definitely need to have a load balancer, to sync them. How about your current server hardware?

gate2vn, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  3. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, figure out the bottlenecks in your setup. It is more likely to be the front-end servers than the DB. Even if it is the database, you should be able to modify your code to support multiple back-ends.

The front-end servers would be quite simple to scale. Throw in another server and divide traffic among these, either by a load balancer or via DNS.

boltok, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  4. rllunzmann

rllunzmann Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would purchase some special software and go with the load balancing in my opinion.

rllunzmann, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  5. cycad321

cycad321 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tips, after asking around, it seems like the best solution is to have 2 servers, with one acting as a fail-over in case the other crashes.

Any recommendations on how to set this up?

THANKS!

cycad321, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  6. MyCrib

MyCrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I would need to know how many page views per day and per hour. Then I can suggest you.

MyCrib, Apr 5, 2008 IP