1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Say No To Spammy Domains!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by maneetpuri, Apr 11, 2013.

That’s right friends,

I am not the only one who believes this! These are the words by Google Head Matt Cutts himself. As per the latest news posted by the man himself, Google highly discourages the purchase of spammy domains. Further he mentioned information on the types of penalties that will follow on the purchase of these ailing domains. However, my doubt is regarding the origin of these domains and what can be done to curb this practice? Don’t you think the practice of spamming has been carried around too much now? Here's the link where you can find the news: http://searchengineland.com/googles...source=sel&utm_medium=scap&utm_campaign=email
    I would really appreciate some honest opinion and replies!
    Cheers
    Maneet Puri

maneetpuri, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  2. shteca

shteca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, its not that hard really to find out if a domain is a spammy domain.
    Firstly you can just search google. Just do a google search for the domain and see what comes up.
    Once you have seen the results check for results like "WARNING THIS DOMAIN SCAMMED ME" and the like.
    You can then do a search for "site:domainname.com" this will show you all the pages that google has got indexed. If you can see a bunch like;
    • domain.com/freehandbag
    • domain.com/luisviton
    • domain.com/cheapphones
    Etc, you can imagine the domain has been involved in spam.
    The next thing you can do is check the backlinks to the site. Use a site like, http://www.backlinkwatch.com to see what links are pointing to the site, if they are totally random and from PR0 sites with no content or from directories you can imagine the site has been spamming. I know these backlink sites don't give a total account of all the links but its a good place to start.
    Finally, do some due diligence on the seller. Check their Facebook, LinkedIn etc. If they have no internet presence then alarm bells should ring. If they look genuine you stand in a better place.

shteca, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  3. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    Great suggestions here!

However, I prefer to create sites on new domain names for better result.

MikeQ, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  4. d_nov

d_nov Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    exact match domains are smelly

d_nov, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just common sense, the usual due diligence, when buying a domain/site - check its backlinks with sites such as OpenSiteExplorer.org, check the content, check the site with archive.org, etc. Review the analytics and review - do either have a sudden decline that coincide with an update? Do the stats for both seem consistent or are their inconsistencies, signs either (or both) could have been faked? Any feelings of doubt? Then don't buy.

Yes, but there is too much misunderstanding and a legacy of spam tactics being seen as "white hat" (just because it's manual doesn't mean it isn't spam), so some people are spamming without necessarily realising it. This problem will continue for quite a long time yet. As for "hardcore spammers" - they'll never stop.

ryan_uk, May 3, 2013 IP