1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Saturated Fats Not So Bad After All - Are All These Negative Claims to Sell Mor Pills

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by sunfyre7896, Feb 21, 2012.

I was looking into this after someone mentioned it and what I found was rather interesting. Supposedly, fat used to all be bad for you. Then along came the notion that only saturated fats and trans fats are now bad for you. However, mounting evidence is showing that saturated fats are indeed, NOT as bad as have been claimed by the FDA and other poster children of the government on this issue. Take that into consideration with the fact that mounting evidence that cholesterol isn't as bad for you as they make it out to be, even the LDL "Bad" cholesterol, and it makes you wonder what is to be gained on all of this? Are the government and FDA just mistaken, or are they pandering toward big pharmaceutical companies to sell more statin and other drugs?

Anyway, here are the articles beginning with 7 reasons to eat more saturated fat and a myriad of other articles from ABC News, the NY Times, and MSNBC. Take a look and see what you think.

7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat

MSNBC on Sat. Fats

NY Times on Sat. Fat

Saturated Fat is Not Evil

ABC News on Saturated Fat

sunfyre7896, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fad isn't bad , fat excess is extremly bad . That's the diffrence . If you keep your caloric intake low and don't abuse fats then you can be pretty healthy AFAIK .
    The vegans are major idiots and they're largely responsibile for all kind of abuses .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  3. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    But actually, they're not saying that fat in excess is bad. They're stating against that. Basically, the culprit to weight gain are certain types of carbs. These would be all sugars and those from flour, which turn into sugar in the body. Potatoes seem to be alright. Everyone's fear of saturated fat has turned people away from eating meat and into eating more carb loaded foods because they're "low fat" or "fat free." This is unhealthy.

The first article shows 7 reasons that saturated fat are good. But I see your reasoning in terms of eating WAY too much of the fats. It's just stating that we supposed to only get 10% of our fat in the form of saturated fat according to the governmental standards, but scientists are now stating that we should get roughly 50% in saturated and 50% in unsaturated fat.

I think most of this comes from profits. What I mean is that the government and the FDA say things like saturated fat and cholesterol are bad, trying to find some studies that show this and skewing the data so they can sell more Statin and other drugs. It's always about the money it seems. Evidence shows saturated fat and both forms of cholesterol are good for the body as they play several physiological roles, and yet profits are more important. What is one of the tenets to business? Keep them coming back. If you can make people unhealthy through fear by cutting nutrition and putting them on a drug, you have a lifelong flow of money from that "customer."

4. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    I know we need some saturated fat but only in small dosage . Under special conditions the body can use fats as the main fuel mitigating most of the negative effects , however the modern day man dosen't fit the bill . We have adequate clothing and shelter and we live very sedentary lives compared with our ancester from a century ago .

As for the people that buy fat reduction drugs they're complete morons . Other then eating the right ammount of proper food and exercice the rest is bull . The only pills that anyone should use are the natural suplements that you use in bodybuilding and even thouse should be treated with extreme care . If anything the people should be encouraged to get themselves cheked , get vitamin/mineral supplements and then get their ass moving towards a healthy diet . Everyone loves to eat 10 pounds of BBQ with fries and salad every day but unless you want to have a cheating wife you should probably not do it .

This theory came out before from some wildcard nutritionist and he managed to convince a lot of people including fellow nutritionists ... ironically he died of cogestive heart failure in his late '40 .

5. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    We need more than a small dosage. As much as 50% of our fat intake should be saturated fat. You're still advocating what they call the Diet-Heart Hypothesis that was posed in 1953. It says that only 10% of our fat intake should be saturated fat. Here's an excerpt:

"We've spent billions of our tax dollars trying to prove the diet-heart hypothesis. Yet study after study has failed to provide definitive evidence that saturated-fat intake leads to heart disease. The most recent example is the Women's Health Initiative, the government's largest and most expensive ($725 million) diet study yet. The results, published last year, show that a diet low in total fat and saturated fat had no impact in reducing heart-disease and stroke rates in some 20,000 women who had adhered to the regimen for an average of 8 years." - {MSNBC article listed above}

Basically it's stating that in the U.S., we've spent billions with a B of dollars trying to prove an actual link between heart disease and saturated fat intake and have NOT been able to find it. Study after study shows that saturated fat from animal sources, not the trans fat from processing, is not only healthy, but mandatory within our diets and DOES NOT lead to heart disease. Read some of these articles. They are interesting and many people are starting to see what scientists have not only been talking about for years, but are starting to purport again.

The old hypothesis that saturated fats from things like bacon, butter, lard, etc. will give you a heart attack are on the way out.

6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You're entitled to your opinion but calling a group of people idiots because of their food choices seems a bit ignorant to me.

Veganism is far superior to the Western diet, so really who are the idiots?

dcristo, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  7. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    Vegans are not idiots, but it has been proven that eating saturated fats from animal products is indeed healthy. This includes eggs, cheese, whole milk, and meat. The only reason Western diets are unhealthy is due to high sugar and flour based intake along with trans fat (not to be confused with saturated fat) and NOT because of meat and saturated fat from animal products. So before stating that veganism, beyond vegetarianism, has never been proven superior in any way to anything, consider all of the facts. In fact, I've seen numerous studies labeling the lack of any animal products as more unhealthy than either vegetarianism and a diet that includes meat, so don't act arrogant about it.

People can choose to eat what they wish. I'm just pointing out what scientists and doctors are saying.

8. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    OK you're right some vegans are smart people but boy do vegans have a lot of idiots . First of all they drumbeat that we're not meant to eat meat despite scientific evidence that we're omnivores . I wonder how the hell can they ignore our canines ? I hope they don't really think that fangs are made for killing carrots .

Western diet ? And what exactly would you call the western diet ? The west has French food (ultra delicious) , Italian food (very delicious) , Greek food (still delicious) and a few more European cuisines but those aren't diets those are dishes . If you're to look for a diet that would be the Christian diet and the church demands or encourages that we fast at least two days per week and for a combined period of over 100 days per year . Now that doesn't very unhealthy does it ? If you're referring to the fast food subculture you'll find there too a lot of healthy options . Even pizza can be healthy when eaten in moderation .

So would you please tell me how endangering your body by eating only veggies is good for you ? How cow milk is harmful for kids ? And how fasting Western style is inferior ?

@sunfyre7896 Since your the one that backs this idea could you please research some solid white papers regarding this issue ? Standford , Harvard , Yale , Oxford , Cambridge , Munich , Moscow , Tokyo , Florenza any of this universities will do . I mean surely there must be better stuff then a few news articles . You said that the scientists are saying this . Maybe my old anatomy book is wrong . Please show me that .

9. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright ApocolypseXL, here are some more trusted websites such as from Brown University, the U.S. National Library of Medicine, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the video is from the Head Professor in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Washington, Science Daily (a trusted source for medical breakthroughs), the Journal for Clinical Epidemiology, etc. They should provide you with more evidence from clinical sources, rather than news sources. There are more, but I thought these would suffice.

http://news.brown.edu/pressreleases/2011/05/dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20354806

http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/5/1102.full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe9z32NZHY

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz1n8qAVatG

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resources/saturated-unsaturated-fat

http://www.physorg.com/news205146842.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402152140.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895435698000183

sunfyre7896, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  10. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Vegans are idiots, Vegetarians are not..
    The best thing is to have a completely balanced diet with meat, milk [products], green veggies and fruits..
    Boycotting milk/milk product is complete idiocy..

The Webby, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  11. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    But they're SUPERIOR with their diet remember? ;)

sunfyre7896, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  12. profb

profb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The cool thing about all humans is that we all have genetic differences. One man's food may be another man's poison. Some humans come from several generation meat eating families and if they suddenly turned vegan, chances are that they will start having health issues.

The webby, try giving milk so asians or black people who in the large majority don't have the enzymes to digest milk..

Pasteurized milk is truly discussing and IS the MOST disease producing food on the planet!! Got Zits? Got Pus? Got rBGH/BST hormones? Got antibiotics? Got allergies, etc.. etc..

profb, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  13. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    The thing is these days milk is UHT treated making it awesome .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  14. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    You are telling me that human, a mammal, doesn't have enzymes to digest milk?
    Stop being such gullible.

The Webby, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  15. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Depends on the race of the mammal . A lot of my Pinoy friends are lactose intolerant but even so they still use dairy products simply because a little discomfort is worth the taste .

@sunfyre7896 I finally read/watch the links . It seems that nothings is new . Some people can use more fats in special conditions and eating fats isn't harmful in normal doses . I doesn't prove however that fats are peachy and you can abuse them . Fats are diesel fuel and need a high heart rate to be burned while carbs are like gas fast and lean . If anything this studies show that a balanced diet is >>> then a vegan diet . The less men will gobble soy like crazy the better the world will be .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  16. profb

profb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Webby,

Do you ever research anything before you spew out stuff or just too lazy?

"Most mammals normally become lactose intolerant after weaning, but some human populations have developed lactase persistence, in which lactase production continues into adulthood. It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood.[2] The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries.[3]"

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

How many mammals besides humans do you see on this earth that still drink milk after weaning?

I thought so.. nadda..

And guess what? There is a BIG difference between cow milk and mother's milk.. The colostrum is what we need when we are babies to stimulate the immune system . There is no need to drink milk as an adult.

and many more of your digestive enzymes slow down as you get older.

Milk is for produced for people who watch far too much TV and live their life being gullible to corporate marketing schemes.

But don't let me stop you from enjoying your hormone injected, antibiotic infested, puss filled mucous liquid(aka processed milk) with your genetically modified organism boxed cereal!

profb, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  17. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Fraking hell I knew my great great grandfather was a corporate bastard . The guy dared to feed his entire family with dairy products on a regular basis . It's a miracle I'm still alive . Right profb ?

ApocalypseXL, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  18. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I do enjoy milk and milk products and I'm fit and healthy. and also -

"Fraking hell I knew my great great grandfather/father was/is a corporate bastard . These guys dared to feed their entire family with dairy products on a regular basis . It's a miracle I'm still alive . Right profb ?"

The Webby, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  19. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Most adult cats love a bowl of milk.

Rebecca, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  20. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Dogs as well .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 26, 2012 IP