1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Samsung VS Google Nexus LG

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hani T, Feb 7, 2014.

I would go for the Nexus phone. Who is with me? I have a Nexus 4

Hani T, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  2. Andy Rubin

Andy Rubin Member

Best Answers:
    well it depends.. that you want Pure Stock Android or Touch wiz..
    If you want latest updates you should Go for NEXUS .
    i have Nexus 5 running Android Lollipop .. any samsung phone running lollipop till now? i guess NO!

Andy Rubin, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  3. Pranay Pradhan

Pranay Pradhan Member

Best Answers:
    Over the last five year Samsung has become a behemoth in the teach marketplace. Their Smartphone dominated the tech landscape and their profit have been relatively good until recently consideration the fact they still Make of their money on hardware.

However, as we have seen in the PC market a hardware only business model is not sustainable indeed as Smartphone become more and more commoditized, Samsung profit margins will soon be squeezed especially by competitors like Naomi who is eating their lunch in china.

While they are one of the most vertically integrated companies in the tech arena and can leverage this to help margins to some degree, I am convinced that unless they take control of their entire destiny.

They are just going to become like any of the PC companies who have been beholden to Microsoft and windows and have seen their margins shrink consistently as PCs become commoditized

: Google and Android” replace “Microsoft and Windows” in this scenario and at the moment, Samsung is just a front end to deliver more and more customers to Google to get their ads, services and products via Samsung devices.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    Pranay Pradhan, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  4. Andy Rubin

Andy Rubin Member

Best Answers:
    who the hell buy that overpriced junk?
    "NOW DAYS" mainly?

Andy Rubin, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  5. stephen rodriguez

stephen rodriguez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    what do you mean by mentioning only samsung..which specific model in samsung are you trying to compare with nexus 5?

stephen rodriguez, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  6. Pranay Pradhan

Pranay Pradhan Member

Best Answers:
    Given the fact 50% of Android devices are Samsung branded and Samsung’s cut of any related profits is the same as even tiny companies who also back Android, if I were Samsung I would be really pissed I’m making Google richer while at the same time jeopardizing my future earning potential if continue to back Android.

It is clear to me Samsung seen this and is rethinking their relationship with developer with Google and their support for Android. At their recent developer conference, they showed off their own mobile OS that uses Tizen at its core and have even started paying developers to write apps for Tizen.

At first glance it seem the focus on Tizen seem to be for the Asian market but don’t let that deceive you. I think there is something bigger in the works with Tizen. Here is what Samsung is up against if they continue down an Android path as is.

First, they just make Google wealthier and continue to deliver customers to Google instead of to themselves. Yes Android has served them well so far, but as long as Google owns the OS Samsung is beholden to Google and is just a slave to them.

Second, they drive revenue to Google revenue that could be all theirs if they owned the customers. Third they will continue to face margin pressure as hardware based profit Shrink.

As I mentioned above our analysis suggest Samung margins even on their upper end products could be reduced to around 10%-15% as even high end Smartphone become more commoditized.

There is a reason Samsung copies and steals from Apple as the court in San Jose has already proven during the recent trials in California. They look at Apple’s ownership of their ecosystem and lust after it in a big way.

Apple is mostly insulted from very low margin pressure since they not only make money from hardware but also from apps, products and services. They can do so since they own their OS and ecosystem and control their destiny across the board.

Put more directly,Apple gets all of the profits from hardware, software ads and services while in Samsung case google gets most of the ad revenue app sales profit and services sales

Pranay Pradhan, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  7. Pranay Pradhan

Pranay Pradhan Member

Best Answers:
    Although, Apple came with its revolutionary iPhone series, this couldn’t be considered a major threat when apple started. Reason being there was very niche market of smart phone users worldwide

Pranay Pradhan, Dec 14, 2014 IP
  8. joice33

joice33 Banned

Best Answers:
    I am with you but I have different choice. I always love to use Samsung. It's my favourite one!

joice33, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  9. Pranay Pradhan

Pranay Pradhan Member

Best Answers:
    Samsung is pushing hard to replace Android with Tizen, their own, Linux-based operating system, which is as much Google-free as only possible. The adoption of Here Maps is the cherry on top of this rather turbulent relationship

Pranay Pradhan, Dec 14, 2014 IP
  10. Pranay Pradhan

Pranay Pradhan Member

Best Answers:
    The irony to all of this is Samsung is the one who has made Android successful yet Google will not share the wealth with Samsung has to be steaming at this predicament and looking for a way out.

However they have a dilemma and are boxed into a corner in the short term. While they can and will modify as far as they can without losing the store certification, the apps on Android that are both legitimate and illegitimate is too vast for them to abound.

Not being able to run android.apk apps would be suicide for anyone in the short term. Their developer environment is still based on Android so it seems they are trying to create a para-platform on top of Android that uses the store but get custom apps created for them in their ecosystem.

However, even in this scenario where they can add some customization, they are still pouring money into Google’s coffers leading them down a path where a hardware only play could hurt them big time in the future.

Keep in mind all OEMs backing Android are getting the same OS and while hardware to different with Google in control of the OS and related products and services. New Android one program basically takes the court out of the hardware and makes it possible.

For small companies to enter the market and go right after Samsung’s low end business in emerging markets. So what could Samsung do to extricate themselves from the powerful hold

Google has over them? Some industry folks I talk to think that Samsung could just Android the same way Amazon has done with their Fire OS. But even with Amazon’s clout, there are still not as many apps available on the Fire OS as there are in the Google Play store and staying with Android even in a forked mode could be confusing for Samsung customers in the long run.

think the real thing Samsung is working towards is to get away from Android completely sometime over the next three to five years and take complete control over their future

This is where I think their backing of Tizen becomes interested a lot of app support to date, if Samsung got behind it and was able to prove to the market they will continue to innovate around Tizen and keep delivering hundreds of millions of Smartphone and tablets annually under their brand, they could attract serious software developers to the Tizen platform.

Remember could show thety would continue to be the 1 leader in Smartphone even with Tizen, software developer would be crazy not to back Samsung’s Tizen strategy. I don’t believe Google will let Samsung dump them without a battle.

In fact the recent fights between the two are becoming more public as it is becoming clear Samsung is no longer in love with Google.I don’t think Google will adjust the revenue share for Samsung since, in doing so they would probably have similar terms for other big Android vendors and that would really impact Google earning abilities

But they could be creative in trying to keep Samsung in the Android fold as well as putting a lot of pressure on them in ways we can’t even imagine at the moment. What Google wants Google mostly gets.

In the long run, Android is a dead end for Samsung, As stated above their relationship with Google is not that much different than what other PC OEMs have with Microsoft today and look what has done to them in the commoditized age PCs

I have no doubt even high end Smartphone’s will become discommoded in a similar manner. If Samsung does not find way to gain more control and deliver their own apps and services to enhance their overall profitable they will excuse the pun become marginalized.

First, they just make Google wealthier and continue to deliver customers to Google instead of to themselves. Yes Android has served them well so far, but as long as Google owns the OS Samsung is beholden to Google and is just a slave to them.

Pranay Pradhan, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  11. Andy Rubin

Andy Rubin Member

Best Answers:
    Well.. Without Android Samsung is Nothing.. Samsung uses Bada OS alongside Android OS and Windows Phone, but in 2012 the development of new smartphones using Bada has been quietly halted in favor of the more popular Android OS. If samsung Stop making Android Mobiles .. Do you really Think That it would be Loss for Google.. LOL

Andy Rubin, Dec 15, 2014 IP
  12. jasmeencress

jasmeencress Member

Best Answers:
    lg google nexus 4

pros of nexus 4

original and first android updates

2gb ram

adreno 320 gpu better than s3 mali 400 gpu

1.6ghz quad core snapdragon

cons
    battery is non removable
    battery backup is slightly low than s3 dueto lcd display but easily goes for one day if u r medium
    user

jasmeencress, Dec 16, 2014 IP