1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Samsung HDD "clicking" and Windows warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mexican ™, Apr 25, 2016.

Recently (today) I heard a clicking sound coming from the case and a short moment after that Windows showed a message that HDD could be failing and I should backup my data immediately.

Ran "Check disk" and clicking stopped, but HD Tune Pro still shows bad things (at least from what I understand):

[​IMG]

Is it dead and I should start looking for a replacement or something can be done about this?

Mexican ™, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  2. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say i'm i the same position with the difference that i hear the clicking noise from time to time and windows freezes for some time but after that just continues working properly. I got concerned just like you are and as it can crash every moment i use it just for the operating system and keep nothing valuable on it. My opinion is if it still has guarantee, use it. If not buy new one. By that time just leave no valuable data on in.

VerdinaNET, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's called the "click of death". Your hard drive is literally on its last legs and at this point it may be too late to save all of your data. You could very well have many bad sectors on your disk and corrupt data, if your drive is able to read it at all.

You have to replace it. That's it. If you want to try to get a little more life out of the drive (as in minutes or hours) to backup data, you can try turning your hard drive upside down. There are some Linux imaging programs you can use to read your disk backward and grab data off of it so it will not fail when it hits a bad sector.

billzo, Apr 26, 2016 IP
    robyries and Arick unirow like this.
  4. ShuperMhen

ShuperMhen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    better purchase a new one while your hdd is still alive or regret.

ShuperMhen, Apr 27, 2016 IP
  5. ShuperMhen

ShuperMhen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    experienced this one too.

ShuperMhen, Apr 27, 2016 IP