1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your concept of God, perhaps. Mine promotes safe, stable and monogamous relationships. Others have Gods that allow bigamous marriages, bride burnings, rape, and pedophilia. Which is yours?

sarahk, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  2. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that marriage, in general, is baseless. However, casting that point aside, YOU may feel that something has no validity when it doesn't affect you personally - but what about everyone else to whom it does? At the end of the day, a collective voice will decide the verdict, in the absence of higher powers speaking loudly enough for EVERYONE to hear.

I don't really deal well with opinions on matters of FACT. And the simple fact is, there are people in the world who love people of the same sex. It doesn't matter if you agree with the concept. So logically, one has to assess the simple fact that this reality exists, and decide how best to deal with it. You can take any position you like, and they run the gambit. Everything from open acceptance, to mass murder. (I'm not condoning, just saying...) But, for you to bring God into this equation, is to ignore the fact that your eyes can see the gay couple, but there is no supreme being presenting themselves to weigh in on the matter. I'd like to believe in a prudent arbiter in all matters human, but I'm just not seeing it happen. And until I do, I will opt for treating other humans with dignity. That's something that is NOT baseless. Because God knows I've got my own faults, and I suspect that you probably do, too. (all of your righteousness, aside)

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's not forget that you're mixing your sciences. This is Human Biology, NOT Physics. (it doesn't matter what one's opinion on people being "born" gay is - regardless, it is a real condition, whether physical, mental, whatever)

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  4. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And you need to come to the reality that people do not agree with it, they don't have to agree with it and they don't have to want it legalized. Welcome to planet earth.

No one is saying they can't continue to live as human beings on this earth, but the definition of marriage does not need to be changed because you or "they" said so.

This "self entitlement" attitude, is rather sh*tty.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    grpaul, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When you see elderly couples in a crisis and one can't sign for medical treatment for the other because they aren't "family" and there's no "bit of paper" it sucks. The stories like that are plentiful and for no other reason than some find the idea of same sex marriage distasteful. If two people have decided to make a commitment to each other and want it to be legally binding it's obscene to deny them that.

sarahk, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  6. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Time to step back, there. "Self-entitlement" for people who are not only ostracized by much of society, (for no good reason) but also denied the same legal standing? Really?

That's why I don't agree with marriage for anyone. If people are so selfish that they would deny people the basic tenants of humanity, why should they, in turn, be rewarded? Government involved in marriage rewards CERTAIN people. And it shouldn't do that. All contributing members of a society must be treated as equals. If they can't be, there is something wrong with certain provisions of law that make that so. And eventually, in a democratic society, these sorts of things will work themselves out.

At the very least, these are human beings, and deserve to be cared for. I'm not arguing in favor of "special" rights, or a "right to be heard". Just saying that if you can't treat other people like you want to be treated yourself, you'll eventually be voted off the island, when everyone gets tired of the same old shit.

Self-entitlement? Ha. If I were a gay person, I'd want to be seen, in the eyes of the law, as any other person. I'd want the same access to health care and recognition of a person who was a dependent. That's not self-entitlement. It's common sense.

Truth be told - I am willing to bet my last dollar, that every person here arguing AGAINST gay marriage, WOULD, in a heartbeat, support more "drastic" measures against gays and lesbians, if the public opinion allowed their true feelings to be aired. It's not as easy to speak one's mind these days, but I have a feeling that those same old sentiments are still percolating...

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Bushranger, Emma Pollard and sarahk like this.
  7. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps these people would prefer sham marriages between a gay man and a lesbian woman. The couples could swap fake partners, and be friends, while claiming benefits off of one another.

Because there's no better way to retain the "sanctity" of marriage, than to make it a game of ends and means. ;)

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  8. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My point for saying this, is that people are segregated all over the country. Not just gays and lesbians.

AND, the "it does not affect you" so "get over it" attitude, simply does not sit well with most normal people against it.

Whoa. Just a tad extreme, don't ya think? I guess you also agree with them being able to sue churches that choose not to marry them?

grpaul, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Every gay person I've asked has said that they'd prefer to be straight - and that's in a liberal society. I'm thinking they pay a high price for something they have no control over.
    In what sense?

Kids go to school and adults don't so I guess that is a kind of segregation but I can't think of any other that turns a fully able adult into "less".
    Decent countries allow it's citizens the right to express their religion freely. Separation of state and religion is essential (but possibly another topic) but religious laws mean that certain things may not be ok - but they do not prohibit them from happening elsewhere. Therefore a small minded church leader may opt not to marry a couple, but the Civic authorities would make other means possible - eg in the garden with a Celebrant.

The Catholic church still takes a stand against marrying heterosexual divorcees. They should just be grateful that a church wedding is still seen as desirable and relevant, quite frankly.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    sarahk, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Bushranger and solid7 like this.
  10. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I second that. To most people living a gay life, it's a real boon on their personal lives - especially when it comes to 2 key areas - family relationships and employment.

I have a number of homosexual people in my life that mean a lot to me. Personally, I am appalled at even the thought of gay sex - but I still see a person behind the sexual orientation. Because there is one...

No, it never sits well with people on the offensive. But not to worry - those generations will eventually die off, and be replaced with sensible and ethical people.

Don't deflect. That's your decoy. I'm not having it.

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Bushranger and Emma Pollard like this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I get squeemish thinking about any of my friends having sex, I know they do it but I'd really rather not think about it :)

sarahk, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  12. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely right. In case I didn't make it clear before - the biggest problem with marriage, is married people making a mockery of it...

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  13. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same-sex activity has been observed in numerous species' on this planet.
    It is a fact that Lions (for example) enjoy same-sex activity up to 80% of the time.
    Homophobia only exists in one species - Humans.
    Religion only exists in one species - Humans.
    There is a direct observable correlation between religiously based bigotry and lower intelligence.
    It's also scientifically proven through numerous studies (peer reviewed) that those who express bigotry towards gay people are more likely to have same-sex desires that they are attempting to bury than those who have no opinion or support same-sex relationships. This is proven through physiological responses and out of conscious control.
    Marriage was not invented by Christians, Catholics or any other religious group.
    No religion has a patent on marriage.
    Marriage ceremonies were being conducted for centuries prior to the Christian and Catholic faiths.
    The Pagan's of Europe are widely believed to have accepted same-sex relationships.
    There is at least one recorded same-sex marriage in the historical Catholic faith, the male couple was praised and recognized as being married in the Church. This occurred in the 14th century.
    Allowing gay people to marry has absolutely no bearing on anyone else, it affects others no more than a couple you never met getting a divorce.
    No religious group is "required" under law to marry anyone, of any gender or any age, to suggest so is false.
    Those against gay marriage right now are using exactly the same arguments as those used to argue against women being given the vote, against the rights of black people, against interracial marriage... the world did not end, society did not crumble, we are better as a society thanks to these examples of justice and social evolution.

Finally, gay marriage is becoming a reality while religious conviction is declining. Whatever your position on this, know that equality for all is coming whether you like it or not. If you are against gay marriage, you are on a losing side.

Conran, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Emma Pollard and sarahk like this.
  14. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As will people like yourself that continue to ignore what has made us such a strong country.

No, it is not. But, good try.

grpaul, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  15. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you think made us a strong country, was the fact that we were once a proud nation, with limited heritage. (one might say that ignorance is bliss) We are now a multi-cultural society, for better or worse, and the ideas that formed the (former) concensus won't work anymore. There are too many beans in the soup.

I'm sorry that you don't understand this.

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  16. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    You seem to be a victim to the common delusion that your specific brand of religion owns marriage. You are fundamentally wrong.
    Marriage is a word meaning "union". No religious system owns this word and no religious group has the right to claim such.

Conran, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  17. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "small minded" because they choose not to wed them? You can stand what you stand for but they can't, right? Amazing!

Despite what you think, marrying in a church is still pretty common.

grpaul, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  18. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's called a difference of opinion.

Keep on with the insults though, it really helps your argument.

grpaul, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  19. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't insulting you. I don't need to; my arguments stand on their own. And even if they don't the majority of America appears to lean something closer to my position, than yours. (I'd prefer no government marriage, but if it's allowed, gays get it, too) Therefore, I will lay hold of a position that people of your persuasion have espoused for years. Namely, that "might makes right". If people fight hard enough, their will be done...

solid7, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not at all, you should see the squabbling within the Anglican church in NZ over who will and who won't allow same sex marriages in their churches. I guess I see those that embrace a larger congregation as having larger souls too. I defend the right for any religion to apply additional rules so long as they fall within the bounds set by the state. Female circumcision is illegal here but wearing a burka is not. The same goes for weddings - the church has the right to not marry same sex couples, divorcees and I guess mixed race couples, trophy wives and old men as well as those whose religious fervor they question.
    Maybe where you live...

sarahk, Jan 7, 2014 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.