1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How very romantic of you Bush. Reality is, marriage is a lot more gritty than all that. It is a lot of compromise and acceptance of faults.

I 100% agree with you that the raising of children is where such a commitment becomes necessary, and I've seen no studies to indicate gay couples raise any better or any worse children than anyone else. On an anecdotal basis, none of the gay people I know have children, or have a desire to raise children, and at least one is vehemently opposed to gay marriage. Not sure what exactly the story is with that.

I see the 50% divorce rate in America being as much of a symptom as the problem itself. Women no longer have to remain hostages in abusive relationships, which is a good thing, but separation is so easy, I don't think people take it seriously.

People get married on drug(endorphin) induced high, and call it a day when they come down and decide their spouse is an philandering scumbag/abusive drunk/nagging prostitute. Those people would be much better off dating. In my opinion, the trick is to identify and embrace the philandering scumbag/abusive drunk/nagging prostitute in your spouse before making your drug induced lifelong commitment. Living with them for a few years helps a lot in that effort.

Just my $.02 worth of romantic ideals. Probably worth less than that.

Obamanation, Feb 27, 2013 IP
    Bushranger likes this.
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Your wife has a right to her opinion but I don´t think you are that bad. :):)

gworld, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  3. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    no more children... you can't make a new one.. :p

robyries, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  4. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is supposed to be, yes. Not too many compromise too much though, it seems.
    I think also that a woman (or man) certainly has a right to walk out once they realise they're stuck somewhere they never dreamed of being. Nobody should be 'stuck' in a marriage, for whatever reason really. Slavery isn't an option in 2013.
    However, imho, the original definition or what I believed was marriage was a solemn declaration before God (the Higher you), even if he (or she) turned out to be a scum-sucking wife beater/drunk/out with the mates/whatever, is that you were standing by that man (or woman) no matter what. You are supposed to know and love the person well before you take the plunge. Have kids if you wanted more company (or someone to love)! :) or don't get 'married'. To me marriage was serious stuff.
    I was certainly against it at one stage too. It was here on DP I realised how silly I was.
    I agree not many take it as serious as that anymore. Not many would get married if they knew that is what a "marriage before God" means. It's certainly not fair to hold them to that kind of definition if they didn't know that's what they were signing into to begin with.
    And, really, everyone should be allowed to have fun. Even I was young and stupid (never got married though) as was almost everyone else.
    The fact a church happily marries people, and grants divorces so freely shows they don't take it that serious either now. That's fine with me. If that's how it is but then so is gay marriage, surely.
    It's now used as a form of commitment, and some gays, albeit silly ones, want to get married. I say let em. They're entitled to the misery (and good times) too. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Bushranger, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  5. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just thought I would add, as it stands, without that piece of paper, if I die tomorrow without a will, my partner of 12 years does not automatically get my belongings. Even if I had a will giving it all to him, without a marriage certificate it means any family member could fight the will, and possibly win.

I happen to have a family that knows who would get it so i'm lucky in that way but some people do need that piece of paper to ensure what they want to happen occurs.

Bushranger, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  6. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe Obama should propose to get rid of the terms "male" and "female". Or allow people to claim what they are on a daily basis.

That would create real "equality".

grpaul, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  7. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a problem with it at all.. if 2 people love each other why should they not get married (plus in the UK you get the tax perks)

J.P, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  8. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bush: I too evolved over time. Its certainly not an issue that is at the forefront of my personal radar. I take it that enabling same sex marriage equates to expansion of equal rights for the population that is gay and strongly in support of legalizing same sex marriage.

In that regard let it occur.

Emma: Since you are the one writing about it, what is your perspective?

earlpearl, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  9. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fascinating.. And in another 10 years you'll "evolve" in to thinking people can marry 5 wives, animals too..

The liberals are trying to be so "open-minded" their brains are falling out of their heads..

What does it have to do with "equal rights"...? You guys love pinning people against each other and placing people in to little groups...

grpaul, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  10. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard one good argument against allowing gay marriage. If you value personal freedom I don't see why you would be against it.

r3dt@rget, Mar 3, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is wrong with marrying 5 wives or 5 husbands? As long as all the people involved, do it with free choice, it is no different than having 5 girlfriends.
    As a Republican, you are just upset that if you agree with same sex marriage, in the next stage you have to admit to your gay tendencies which all neo-cons have. ;) :)

gworld, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  12. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's called being conservative / republican, and opposing beliefs of people like Clinton who think it’s perfectly OK to cheat on their wife and be a complete scumbag.

I personally don't want to live in a "liberal America", which is what they are trying to mold the country in to. Personal freedom doesn't have to end with gay marriage being legal and our women fighting in our front lines.

How far would you like to bring this “personal freedom” thing? Should we be able to share bathrooms, kill each other, piss / crap in public?

I guess this should be “normal” as well: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ountain-1st-grader-banned-from-girls-bathroom

A little boy should be able to use the girls bathroom? Really?

Yes, yes it is. And to me (personally) that is wrong.

Um, no... Deff not angry.

Everyone has gay tendencies?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    grpaul, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Funny story. My sister's freshman college dorm had co-ed bathrooms. Not sure if this is common, but I thought it was funny, until I found myself sitting in a stall as one of her female dorm mates entered the room, at which point it became a bit uncomfortable. Not in a sexual sense, mind you, but there is something very akward about potentially smelling up a bathroom while a hot young coed you barely know is brushing her teeth 8 feet away. You just have to own it, walk out of the stall and proclaim loudly with pride, "God damn, I killed it in there!"

Regarding killing people and pissing/crapping in public, personal liberty stops when it infringes on the personal liberty of others. Taking a person's life definitely falls into that category. In my opinion, allowing someone to sodomize their pet goat does not. Allowing two consenting people to commit to each other under the legal system much less so.

Obamanation, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  14. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Obamanation stated it very nicely, personal freedom ends when another persons rights are infringed. Republicans, especially conservatives, are supposed to be for more freedom and less government. This should apply to all issues, not just the ones that relate to you.

r3dt@rget, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  15. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey o-nation why don't you give grp some lessons. There is nothing "liberal" or "conservative" about cheating on one's spouse. good "ole" newt gingrich is a serial wife cheater, cheating on his 2nd wife while attacking Clinton for cheating on his wife. Oh yeah...Newt cheated with the woman who became his 2nd wife after cheating w/ her on his first wife.

Of course ex Senator Ensign from Nevada, a family values kinda GOP guy cheated on his wife.

Cripes the list is endless. Cheating on one's spouse is not a liberal or conservative phenomena.

earlpearl, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  16. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Give me some lessons? LOL

Kool-aid drinker, Clinton is a complete scumbag, who is treated like a god to the left.

I would never say what Gingrich did was right.

As for it not being a liberal or conservative issue.. If we are talking about having some sort of morals - yes it is.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    grpaul, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  17. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haha, were you drunk?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I guess this should be “normal” as well: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ountain-1st-grader-banned-from-girls-bathroom

A little boy should be able to use the girls bathroom? Really?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this not infringing on personal liberty?

grpaul, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  18. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Everybody poops.

Those parents should be shot(or at least prosecuted for child abuse). Hermaphroditism or intersex children are not as uncommon as you might think, but to take your anatomically normal child and allow it to identify outside of it's gender is idiotic. To ask the government/school to aide you in your child abuse is insanity.

None of this has anything to do with what an adult wants to do. If an 18 year old decides he wants to be called Mary instead of Mike, wear a dress, and use the women's room, I could give a crap so long as he stay's out of the personal space of others.

Obamanation, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, these are only the first steps to becoming full fledge neo-con Republican and U.S. Congressman. :)

gworld, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  20. brandama

brandama Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, the abuse that child will go through for their parents "free loving" neglect, is likely to cause that child much more harm than a parent enforcing a gender identity when they are 6 years old. We all know that our little ones do not get these types of ideas on their own, they get them from somewhere. Even if they didn't get them from their parents' it is unacceptable for a parent to say, if you want to be a girl, you can be a girl to their male child. The child should be told what gender they are, and accommodated as such. When the child is older and if they want to act like/become a woman, that is up to them, but not their parents when they are not even in their teens.

Children have barely idea of sexual identity, too f**k it up by teaching you can be any sex you want is abusive.

What a fu**ed up situation. (In this situation, I feel the profanity is justified)

brandama, Mar 9, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.