1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Usually the people who really get upset about the other person's life style are the ones who are in the closet. Are you sure you secretly in your heart don´t wish to be in a filthy, morally-objectionable party? :rolleyes::)

gworld, Jul 18, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. genchev

genchev Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not against same sex marriages, but there are some social morals that must not be crossed.
    Do whatever you want but don't do it in public in front of kids.

genchev, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What social morals? Having sex in front of public or kids is forbidden and it doesn´t matter if you are homosexual or heterosexual. ;)

gworld, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Corwin: In current modern times, Israel is and has been one of the more accepting open nations with regard to gays for a pretty long time. They don't accept gay marriage, but they don't accept civil marriages and they even don't accept any but religious marriages conducted according to pretty stringent rules for Jews.

Gays are in their military and have been for a long time. The Israeli fighting forces are still fierce and kick the living cr@p out of the various Arab forces they fight again and again...and that has been occurring since Gays were allowed freely in the military years and years ago. (now decades ago)

Meanwhile as a society, they continue to have an economy that thrives on human power and creativity, and are not dependent on oil in the earth. All that has occurred while gays have been quite openly accepted in most of the society.

Think about Jason Collins the pro basketball player who only recently announced he was gay following about 12 years as a pro, 4 years playing college basketball and years before playing in high school and before.

I have yet to see a comment wherein one of what has to be hundreds of ex teammates say he was the cause of a miserable team, created problems or more specifically with regard to all those guys in all those locker rooms describing how as a team mate he was defrauded or approached, or grabbed, or any kind of concern that guys in locker rooms might have.

Of course despite that probably 20 year history of being in locker rooms with what must be hundreds of team mates none of those fears that guys might have or express were ever realized by sharing a locker room with a gay person.

I wouldn't worry about the "ruin of civilization" I'd worry more about taking one's head out of the sand, seeing daylight, realizing the world is not how you imagined it, and trying to live in a world where real life and experiences might teach you things you're biases or learned behavior block.

earlpearl, Jul 18, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, this discussion was about same sex marriage, but you made it all about your own personal intolerance because of your clear and obvious intolerance and bigotry. Bigots are not to be taken seriously, and so we have you, whom no one takes seriously because of your intolerance of any opinion that is not yours.

There is a hatred inside of you, gworld, deep and seething. Your posts full of hatred and intolerance make no difference, and so you make no difference. To you, it's not about freedom or laws, it's who you can sling your hatred at, much like an angry chimp in a cage throwing his feces at the crowd.

Thank you, that's a good example, one to be taken seriously.

Granted, Israel allows gays to have the same rights a privileges as anyone else. I've never argued against that - everyone has the same rights, and I believe in a God that loves all people, including gays and gworld.

But it's worth noting that Israel does not allow gay marriages. Growing up in Long Island I understand that - my Jewish friends were under pressure from their parents to 1) marry someone else practicing Judaism, 2) have lots of children and raise them in the Jewish tradition, and 3) Send money back to Israel. This was based on the imperative to prevent the Jewish people from dying out. Not allowing gays to wed may have less to to with revocation of marriage privileges and more to do with families growing the population of Israel.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    Corwin, Jul 21, 2013 IP
    pilot35 likes this.
  6. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    I also referenced that Israel doesn't recognize civil marriages. I wouldn't be so quick to connect Israel with the American Jews you knew in Long Island. I grew up in Jersey, which is very much like Long Island from a demographic perspective. There are significant differences between American and Israeli Jews. I simply wouldn't be so quick to make that connection "wanting to grow families" After all, gay couples can adopt and/or have kids via artificial insemination through either sex. Furthermore parents in Israel don't have to think about their kids marrying outside the faith in Israel as they might in America where Jews are such a tiny part of the population. There are big differences.

Many of the social laws in Israel are tied to orthodox Judiasm. That is probably why civil marriages aren't acknowledged in that country. Maybe that is the major reason they don't recognize gay marriages. I haven't researched the root reasons.

Dick Cheney's gay daughter was married in Washington DC but lives in Virginia which doesn't acknowledge gay marriage as a legal right. But I haven't seen anything about Virginia authorities harassing her, trying to drive her out of the state, denying her other rights of a citizen.

The significant point though is that for about 2 decades Israel has been extremely accepting of gays in many aspects of their nation including the military. There is no connection between Israeli society, culture, its strength or weakness and its acceptance of gays in the wider society.

I know I would never have been accepting of gay rights years ago. It was too weird, too scary for me. Over many years I've worked with and gotten to know more gays. I think its a shame when their rights are restricted in the US.

earlpearl, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  7. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

So, now that everyone is "so accepting" what does that do for us as a country and society?

grpaul, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Would you prefer if gays and lesbians were witch hunted and publicly executed? Who gives a flying monkeys about someone's sexuality, that's their business. Just let them get on with it.

ryan_uk, Jul 21, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  9. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

What a classic response. . .

grpaul, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Typical of a person in the closet. Just come out, it is not that scary. ;):)

gworld, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It boggles the mind if someone being gay/lesbian hurts you personally.

Not caring about someone's sexuality stops people from wasting time (such as this) or people being hurt, killed, harassed or otherwise discriminated in some form just because they happen to love another man/woman.

Being bothered about someone's sexuality makes it look like that person is narrow minded, has nothing better to do in their life than give a damn if two people of the same gender are sleeping together/in love with each other.

Anyone who has a problem with it really needs to think what does it do to their own life? (Are they even in the closet, perhaps, so seeing open homosexuality makes them feel uncomfortable and confused?)

Frankly, the lack of acceptance is petty.

ryan_uk, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Just because I showed that you have copy & pasted from a dishonest religious web site and you do not know anything about Plato or history that makes me "hateful" and "intolerant" person while you as a religious bigot who denies the gays the rights equal to other people are a "good" person. :rolleyes:

You are right that I am intolerant toward bigotry, religious stupidity and hatred and I think more people should actively fight the religious fascists that do not respect other people´s rights and opinions instead of being politically correct and just accept it.

gworld, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  13. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you prove your point without going to the absolute extreme? Just curious. . .

grpaul, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That's a rather hypocritical statement coming from someone who has spent several years bashing homosexuals and muslims in an open form. I assume this statement was an attempt at being satirical.

Mia, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Advising you to come out of the closet is not bashing gays, it is a friendly advice. ;):)

gworld, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is an old saying, "Long Island is like Israel, except that Long Island has more Jews".

Ah, Earl, to a LonG Islander that statement is somewhat of a joke :) However, I know you well enough to know you are being serious, so I'll gently agree.

Oh, boy, is THAT an understatement. Native Israelis would always get angry at Long Island Jews for daring to insist that they know better about how to handle the politics of the region, without having to live under the constant threat of having your kids killed on their schoolbus. For native Israelis, more is better which means more families, more babies, no gay marriage.

Corwin, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    On thing I learned from my Jersey Cousin last year is that Long Islanders stop at stop lights, even in funeral processions. Long story, but funny.... Jersey and Long Island, WORLDS apart...

Mia, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  18. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    funny...but not true though the locals like to assert that.

Well Corwin, accepting your natural and appropriate "fandom" for LonG Island over all other parts of the NY metro region.....I gotta say that from my perspective folks from LonG Island, North Jersey and the Jersey Shore, and Westchester have seemed to have much more in common with one another than not. They all commute into the Big Apple...now don't they? ;)

But then again...only Jersey has spawned a native that is known by the single and totally appropriate name....THE BOSS!!!!

I believe Israeli's experience the threat of an attack unlike any other nation in the world. No other nation has experienced years of unending rocket attacks on its native land and people as has Israel.

As to the thing about "babies". I think that is a modern phenomena more in common with a lot of fundamental religions whereby the women are quite often baby factories. Its probably true with the ultra orthodox in Israel but not true of the rest of the Jewish population which is the majority of the population.

earlpearl, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  19. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm trying to crank out as many ultra-familialist children as I can, for a shot at immortality. Abraham had 12 and look at how well that turned out.

Obamanation, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  20. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    .......you need more wives

per wikipedia:

Wives[edit source | editbeta]
    According to the Bible, Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. The wives are described as foreign princesses, including Pharaoh's daughter and women of Moab, Ammon, Sidon and of the Hittites.

give it a shot o-nation: if people question your actions reference Solomon: he was a king and wise.

can't argue with that!!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    earlpearl, Aug 13, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.