1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    gworld, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  4. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    grpaul, May 9, 2013 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, May 10, 2013 IP
  6. devon

devon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same sex marriages... I think we have to quarantine them on an isolated island and we'll let see if they can survive. I bet they won't survive in 25 years because they can't have children.

devon, May 10, 2013 IP
  7. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The article begins with:
    When NBA player Jason Collins announced two weeks ago that he was gay, many NFL players offered their public support. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell expects the same reaction if an NFL player similarly goes public with his sexuality.

You do realize that these are P.R. statements, yes?

I was loosely associated with an NFL team some years ago. They are as macho as they come. They are also contractually obligated to support all public statements made by their team owners and their organization leaders (NFL/NBA/etc) or risk forfeiture of pay.

In truth, I don't see NBA or NFL players accepting gay team members.

Having a gay man in a men's locker room is the same as saying you think co-ed locker rooms won't cause harassment.

Corwin, May 11, 2013 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

You are a real Renaissance man. Scientist, involved in NFL, a social worker with suicide hot line, car dealer,.... :rolleyes:;)

I think you forgot to be police, astornut, doctor or did you mention those in other posts that I missed. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
    gworld, May 12, 2013 IP
  9. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    I follow this topic from the outside. I'm not gay, been married (to a woman) never dated a guy, never attracted to a guy. I love women, find them delectably sexy, etc. And I'm older. When I was younger I was afraid of homosexuality, scared of gays, and frankly had virtually no knowing contact with Gays.

Over the decades more and more Gay folks have come out. More power to them. I'm sure they are all happier for it. Clearly Jason Collins, the NBA player who came out is dramatically happier and freer having spoken truthfully of his status.

I find the change in attitudes over time about Gay Marriage interesting: Here is a reasonable story summarizing some of that: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/13/4180566/opinions-about-same-sex-marriage.html

It reviews changes in polls over the last decade and describes some of the experiences of those who have changed their minds on the topic.

I'm in the "changed my opinion over time" category. For me, as the article described, it's a reflection of knowing more gay people over time. I have close friends and extended family with gay members. They rapidly embraced gay rights. It involves their family members. They should do so. They should want the best for their family. Dick Cheney falls into that category. You see that opinion shared more and more, including coming out of GOP territory.

I haven't seen any horrors connected to Gay folks. Frankly there are plenty of more liberal religious groups who have embraced Gays and want to see them have equal treatment with heterosexuals. Fundamentalists of course curse it and call it evil.

As much as older folks have changed their opinions its the overwhelming majority of younger folks between 18-29 and 18-34 according to some different polls that support Gay marriage that are the fuel for society's changing perspective.

Over time there have been a number of powerful political leaders who never married. Possibly some were gay...maybe even a US president: http://www.futurescopes.com/wealthy-dating/9158/10-powerful-politicians-who-never-married

....and Jesus never married. Now that alone is enough to make me very suspicious

earlpearl, May 12, 2013 IP
  10. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Earlpearl: While I can appreciate that fear and hatred of homosexuals is fading, I think it is important to note that society as a whole needs someone to fear and hate. In that spirit, I'm glad your liberal friends have filled that gap by spreading fear and hatred of conservatives with lies, propaganda, and misinformation. Without someone to hate, it is very hard to keep people grouped together without infighting and bickering.

Let me be the first congratulate the Church of Liberalism and it's fundamentalist adherents on your successful proselytization drives. You are better than Islam, but not by much.

Obamanation, May 12, 2013 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  11. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    O-Nation: I so get a kick out of your assertions. Ha ha. The Right Wing Absolutely feasts off of spreading fear and hatred. I get a kick out of all those things the right wing does in spades on a continuous basis...and then turns around and starts accusing the "libs" of doing that.

Go treat your mom!!!

earlpearl, May 12, 2013 IP
  12. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting point of view, and as you might expect, my views differ. If liberals and conservatives were to be compared to Jews and Arabs, conservatives would definitely be the Jews, with liberals strapping bombs to their chest to deal with the infidels.

Already done. Wife as well, with time left over to spread hate and fear on the internet.

Obamanation, May 12, 2013 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  13. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    grpaul, May 13, 2013 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What is an astornut?

Mia, May 13, 2013 IP
  15. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When did I say I was a "car dealer"? When did I say I was "involved" in the NFL?

Geez, I don't mind that gworld is a liar, it's just that his lies are so OBVIOUS.

Corwin, May 13, 2013 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    He makes things up. The fact that he's still here says a lot about this forum and the direction its still headed... It's unfortunate. When he's gone and the grown ups are debating, its a wonderful place to be. When he's here its more like watching a bunch of high school girls gossip and make fun of the portly band chicks.

Mia, May 14, 2013 IP
  17. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, if people are not in love, the government should stop them from getting married?

Why is the government in the business of validating people's emotions?

Are you saying if a couple doesn't get married by the government, their love will evaporate into the wind?

Corwin, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  18. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is the "equality" thing another way of placing people in to a group so we can talk about "equality"?

grpaul, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sort of says it all.

Mia, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is government registering heterosexual marriages? :rolleyes: Even government legalizes the homosexual marriages, it doesn´t mean that every homosexual has to come out of the closet.
    Some peoples' secrets can still be safe, so you have nothing to worry. ;):)

gworld, Jun 5, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.