1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same description on every page will penalize you in SERPs?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by eduardomaio, Oct 9, 2004.

I guess the title says it all...

I have a website named Sprint Total and i'm trying to be at the top 10 positions in google.pt for the search in portuguese for the term tuning. I was #1 for it, after that algo change I wen't to #2 and after changing my domain I went to #4... Not bad at all...

Now, i've dropped to #30, #41, #47... It depends on the day...

The only thing i've made was change my description, i've just added the keyword tuning one more time so it appears twice.

Now, there is a small problem, my description is the same for all my pages... I've added the meta-tags to a separate file that is included on every page (except the index).

Am I getting somehow penalized for that? What else could it be?

eduardomaio, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google does not so much rank sites, as rank pages. hence the namew page rank! Google ranks individual pages, and the relationships between pages on the internet.

Each page should be individually unique, yet be related to other pages by its content, and its links. It should associate itself with other quality pages about the same subject via links from, and to itslef, on a page by page basis.

By its very nature then, every single page title shoud represent SPECIFICALLY what the content of that PAGE is al about.

HTH

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  3. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    So the description isn't penalizing me, all the titles are different (or at least most of them).

What could it be that makes me going up and down in SERPs without modifying anything on the website...

eduardomaio, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  4. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you considered that the web is not static, people are adding and dropping pages all the time, and the search engines are are also adding and dropping pages. Added to that is that Google has been updating the past few days and during that period rankings will fluctuate.

First off you say you are trying to be seen for the one word term tuning, which has 12 million competing pages in Google.pt, Do you offer your tuning parts and services worldwide, only in a particular country or a particular town?

If so you should do some keyword research and find terms which searchers for the services you offer are searching for.

Personally, I would suggest that you use a term like tuning portugues, which has only 43,200 competing pages and after that optimize your page titles so that your search term appears first and your site name is omitted.

Then get anchor text linking to your pages matching the page title and search term you have chosen.

Mel, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  5. hightide13

hightide13 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your description tags are not what are causing the problem. I have sites where the title and description is the same throughout the site and it still ranks in the SERPs for my keywords.

Listen to Mel too. He knows what he is talking about.

hightide13, Oct 12, 2004 IP