1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sales or promotion of beer or hard alcohol

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by neforum, Jun 28, 2005.

I run a phpbb forum and there is a section on there to review Pub Food. Inevitably, people have made posts about what beer is available too. I know that the condition above 'Sales or promotion of beer or hard alcohol' is not acceptable under the Google TOS, but would this be enough? There's no beer sold through the site, but how do you define 'promotion of beer'? Is talking about it enough? Are the posts on this section enough to get banned? Should I remove them?

Dave

neforum, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the TOS is referring to the actual Sale or promotion of sale -- not discussions -

joeychgo, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  3. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    When in doubt, email G...;)

obenix, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  4. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    As a dutchman, I moderate a page about weed, and had Google ads on it. ;)

I dont smoke myself, but its for a well visited directory that the owners of were very afraid of people to start dealing in the forums and all.

Because the page had high traffic and good PR I decided to do the moderating for a while, and added Adsense banners. Right now I am doing it longer than a year and so far no problems yet :p

But... Then again.. The page is dutch.. written in Dutch.. And talking about weed is legal here.

Dirkjan, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  5. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I ran into similar problems with Cigar clients. If I recall correctly, we had a generic domain that was a mirror of the actual site, and used supporting words like humidor, etc.

roadies, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  6. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's what I thought. A while back, my forum was hosted by Proboards and they had a similar, but slightly more draconian policy than Google. The boards are run from California, where the drinking age is 21, and they would just zap a board with no warning if they thought it contravened their TOS about alcohol. No warning, just ZAP! That's why I moved to my own hosting.

I think i'll email Google to be sure. If they say I have to remove those threads to comply with TOS, then is there a way to ensure no ads appear on that page?

Also, if there's to be no talk of beer, why would 'beery' adverts be served? I notice these ads targetted on those threads. Adwords buyers would be pretty upset if their ads would never be shown, would they not?

neforum, Jun 28, 2005 IP