1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Saint Obama, hand outs, entitlements and inflation for EVERYONE!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by guerilla, Jun 16, 2008.

1. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Appreciate your position, but I would rather support someone for what they have done and plan to do, than for what color they are and what they talk about but don't follow up on.

If Obama really is going to help minorities, he should be decriminalizing drugs, and stopping the CIA from running drugs into the country from Latin America.

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  2. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think that's BS. They could have a part of the American pie if they really wanted and believed they could. Is it harder when you're poor and come from a crime ridden environment? Sure, but it's doable. Also, a lot of what creates their environment and their fatalist attitudes is lack of proper upbringing, which Obama seems willing to address honestly, as he did in the Father's Day speech I just mentioned in my last post.

LogicFlux, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  3. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    He'd never get elected because most of the people in this country are still retarded when it comes to drug policy.

4. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From the bully pulpit of the Presidency, he can influence public opinion. Just as Bush 41 went on TV and raged against the so-called Drug War, so could Obama go on, and talk about the use of medical marijuana, the agricultural and economic benefits of hemp etc.

But it won't happen. How ironic that in an election featuring a man of color, a woman and a "maverick" the true radical is the soft spoken white country doctor from Texas.

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  5. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    There were other radicals that had a similar chance of winning. Gravel and Kucinich come to mind.

6. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gravel and Kucinich raised no money, garnered almost no votes, and were dropped from the debates. They haven't formed a post campaign PAC with nearly 70,000 members, and they haven't written a post campaign manifesto that has been on the NYT best seller list for weeks.

Gravel is a radical (progressive) and Kucinich is a radical liberal, but neither have had much if any effect on the national debate. Paul has. I would argue that Paul has had more influence on the national debate than Obama, who doesn't actually stand for anything apparently, except being "black".

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  7. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet I still don't think Paul ever had more than a marginally better chance of winning than Kucinich and Gravel. Especially not in the party he was running in.

I doubt that true radicals ever stand a good chance of winning. If they did that would mean enough people accepted their arguments to vote for them, and that, by definition, would make them non-radical.

I'm all for compromising some principles if it lets you do half the stuff that you think is good rather than none of the stuff. I make compromises like that all the time in software design. It's like a cost/benefit analysis.

8. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik went 12 times platinum and it was radical.

And what is this "good stuff" Obama will do?

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm wondering where people get billions of dollars to buy drugs when they can't afford to buy gas and food?

bogart, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  10. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I worked around addicts 10 years ago. It's very sad watching people lose their humanity to addiction.

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  11. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    So then Ron Paul should do an album and hire Flea as the bass player.

I already mentioned the good stuff that I think could come from Obama getting elected. Another liberal presidency isn't going to destroy us. It may be worth it if it has the psychological and morale boosting consequences that I think it could.

12. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Me love you long time?

13. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you understand the issue with the uhm... debt and recession and coming insolvency of the country?

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  14. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I don't buy the doomsday scenarios and I don't think the sky is falling.

15. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is this because you don't have a technical understanding of it, or because you like hallucinogenic drugs? ;) :D

Next year, China is projected to be the wealthiest country, living off of our interest payments, which is equal to the income tax contributions of the citizens.

We can't meet our medicaid or social security obligations, and the dollar is debasing.

That's not doomsday. That's reality.

We're broke. Plain and simple, we're totally broke and the check is coming due.

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  16. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:

I don't have a good technical understanding of economics. When I want to learn stuff that heavy I choose software related stuff like application architecture. Frankly a lot of economics makes me feel retarded when I think about it. But I am smart enough to know to listen to well respected people in the field, like Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman who said that our economy was in good shape just a few years ago before he died. The only thing major economically that has happened since his death is the credit market nonsense and consequentially the housing market collapse, and those troubles will pass.

17. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to start an economic heresy thread soon. Maybe you will gain something from it.

Friedman was a state economist, and unfortunately while strong on free markets, was atrociously bad on money (which ironically was his specialty). The current crisis is a money crisis.

I'm not making up the insolvency issue. David Walker, when he was head of the GAO, did a wake up tour to try and impress this serious issue on people. He quit out of frustration. People simply do not, and cannot understand even the basics of supply/demand, the division of labor, or the difference between money and wealth, and thus continue to think that our debt # is irrelevant, and enlarging the debt indefinitely can continue without any consequences or accountability.

Again, this is not doomsday. Not if sound decisions are made. But if the status quo carries on, things will get bad, because the fundamentals are horrible and they don't self-correct under these conditions.

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't print your why to prosperity. All you end up with is inflation or worse hyperinflation.

bogart, Jul 9, 2008 IP