1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Runnning own Server

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by machikakara, Jun 7, 2007.

Well i want to run a server in my house i have the software and the hard just not the line i have a fast line but i need atlest 10mbs for my site so it would be great if someone told be where i can get a good cheap server line all it has to do it work.

machikakara, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend against it, more hassle than it's worth. Better to pay the $40 or $50 per month to get a VPS

frankcow, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  3. machikakara

machikakara Banned

Best Answers:
    the thing is my computer i have is a dual core amd 2.2ghz and has just under 1tb worth of space. had 2gb or ram and what not. so i can get a lot. out of it more then a VPS for about the same price but you may be right about the work becuase leaving it on and the electic bill. But it would be nice and fast when people are not on the site. and I can upload to that server via network stuff.

machikakara, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  4. koolguy101

koolguy101 Peon

Best Answers:
    i sell dedicated servers, contact me if you're interested, i got them in a data center with plenty of bandwidth. windows and linux operating systems, celerons to Core 2 duos

koolguy101, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  5. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    Headaches...
    If something breaks you have to buy and change it yourself = downtime.
    The electricity does cost more than you would think.
    Depending on what you are going to serve - you probably don't need a bad ass server. You'd be amazed with what a celeron can do.
    You only have the fiber running to your home - that's the only option you have of getting traffic in and out... well, and more expensive solutions.

Run your home computer as a backup - and learn the ropes, test before going live, keep a nameserver on it, play around. And get a VPS or dedi to start with. It won't cost much.

I didn't understand this: 'But it would be nice and fast when people are not on the site.'

If you share what you need the server to do it would be easy to come up with an estimate...

pj1s, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  6. networktemple

networktemple Peon

Best Answers:
    yah.. i wouldnt run my own server.. too much legal stuff and security wise.. too much effort.. but if for learning then i would do it

networktemple, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  7. mrmonster

mrmonster Active Member

Best Answers:
    You got a full duplex 10mbps line in your house that allows server and has no bandwidth limitations? Wow must be nice.

I have a dedicated server at layeredtech that I run my stuff on, control-panel less at that :)

Duno about running this kind of stuff in a house, I would question the reliability and what happens if you go on vacation and your cat chews through the network cable? It's probably a better idea to get your hardware co-located at a dedicated datacenter if you want to use your own hardware. Just keep in mind that it will probably be cheaper to rent a dedicated server, co-location tends to be more expensive.

mrmonster, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  8. dougeetx

dougeetx Peon

Best Answers:
    I run my own server(s). Actually, I own a hosting company. :) I have a 30 MB line coming into my home. I have Verizon FIOS. To set it up at home though, you're asking for troubles. If you want to drop a T-1 in your place, contact Verizon. They can set it up for you. You could, though, in theory, run Verizon FIOS in your house and put a server on it. Tons of incoming bandwidth but I don't know what Verizon's policy is on doing that. If you need help, just PM me.

dougeetx, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  9. cpucandy

cpucandy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 8 going to my house and I am allowed to run a server. The catch is if I want a static IP then they want $25.00 / month.

Anyway, I just use this server for educational purposes. I do have it setup with a domain and dynamic dns service running a personal site. I use it for testing my sites before I upload them. I connect to it via Webmin and FTP for the file transfers.

cpucandy, Jun 22, 2007 IP