1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

running a dedicated server- how complicated is it?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by disgust, Jun 2, 2004.

our site uses more than most sites out there- so much so that the idea of virtual hosting accounts are almost a joke.

so we're considering moving on to our own dedicated server. the price is something we can swing after some minor advertisements (adsense among them), but I don't know how much I have to actually know to do this- and I've never been able to get a straight answer.

although it's for one site, I'd like to be able to set up multiple domains and sites, set up mysql databases, have webstats and logs, set up ftp and ssh accounts for the individual other accounts.

how much would I need to know for such a thing? would getting something like the cpanel hosting instead of the bare redhead but worth the extra money?

we go through 250+ gigs of bandwidth a month. we get 10,000 unique visitors a day and about 100,000 pageloads a day.

disgust, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  2. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cricket, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    how much more expensive is that typically?

the plan we wanted was 100$ for the basic redheat or 120$ a month for redhat with cpanel

disgust, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Given what you said above, I'd definitely go with the managed dedicated box.
    The bonus with CPanel is you also get WHM - allowing you to create as many cpanel accounts as you feel like.

If you had to manage each aspect of your site/s yourself, you'd just not have the time. Don't forget, some hosting companies will charge you for hard reboots, and it's up to you to know when the server goes down etc if it's simply a dedicated box.

Go for a managed solution, you have all the necessary resources inplace, and all the support you're likely to need. Shell access will ensure you have console when you need to install that extra module (or whatever) :)

That's not a bad price, just make sure they don't skimp on the monthly traffic, and you're on a fat pipe.

As for Cpanel itself, it's intuitive and very easy to use. Also comes with a fully scriptable API for integration with remote apps and serverside apps like ModernBill etc.

:)

john_loch, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  5. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ...and with a lot of bugs :) its unstable control panel, but indeed, its more than functional by my definition of that word. so stability or functionality, make your choice. id personalty choose cpanel, still, just look at their forums and check the number of reported bugs...

vinyl, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  6. nlopes

nlopes Guest

Best Answers:
    Plesk 7 is also very good.

nlopes, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  7. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ...and much stable/less functional than cPanel. It's relatively new on the market but I also think its quite good.

vinyl, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  8. ddziuban

ddziuban Peon

Best Answers:

ddziuban, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Let me spell something out for you.

HACKERS WILL TRY REALLY HARD TO GET INTO YOUR BOX.

I see attempts in my logs all day long, and it's a constant battle to keep them out. It's not a 9-5 job the majority of the time, but some days it's a 24 hour shift putting updates in and testing them. If you are thinking about managing the box yourself, lock everything down with a firewall, and make sure you understand all of the security implications with opening any necessary ports. Many implementations of SSH are insecure even, so you really do have to spend some time reading up on things.

Most FTP applications are vulnerable in one way or another, so again, you must be careful with what software you choose and how you choose to implement it.

Popular and cheap server farms are prime targets because their out of the box implementations have holes, so hackers are constantly searching for a new guy to take advantage of within that IP range.

Having said all that...

Once you have your own server, you will never move away from it. Having total control over the box is an addictive thing. Having great performance on limited hardware is nice too. You really should have some linux experience though, and some time on your hands to get your feet wet. Don't be afraid to call in an expert or two when you get overwhelmed. The money is well spent, believe me.

nevetS, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  10. SecureCP

SecureCP Guest

Best Answers:
    Managed dedicated solutions can be had cheap. I've heard of really good packages under 200 dollars, so they're not always expensive. Don't get scared lol

SecureCP, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  11. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I pay about $75 per server for my management but that's a bulk price. I also pay a per client fee on top of that.

They pretty much manage upgrades, log management and review, firewall rules, etc.

theapparatus, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  12. SecureCP

SecureCP Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you pay that on top of the cost of the servers? With the support you mentioned above, there are some hosting providers which will do that for you at no additional cost to their advertised price. Do you use a white label support team who answers your clients questions for you too? That's what I'd expect at that cost. No offense whatsoever, just wondering. ;)

SecureCP, Jul 24, 2009 IP
  13. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    On iPod. Excuse shortness. Own servers. No lease. Also pay bw, rack fees, direct admin. Think that's it.

Break it down some day if folks want.

I could probably manage but 1 part of support agreement so let them do it anyway 2 most server issues discovered through client problems so combine both good idea 3 more timefor me to interact with clients be on my own projects.

Just wish could pay myself more. Damn ex

theapparatus, Jul 24, 2009 IP
  14. ravee1981

ravee1981 Active Member

Best Answers:
    actually it isnt complicated at all. Just setup the server initially, put in security, block all unwanted ports, install your software, and just run it. Nothing should go wrong as long as some nutter doesnt get in thru the backdoor and screws something up or sends in a trojan

ravee1981, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  15. SecureCP

SecureCP Guest

Best Answers:
    When babysitting approximately 1,000 servers, you have no idea how often this happens.

SecureCP, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  16. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't even have to be a "nutter" either. Soccer moms will do this as well when they install some script because they think it;s cute.

Don't get me started on unsecured CPanel boxes either. Love sites that don't keep their CPanel or Fantastico installs current.

theapparatus, Jul 25, 2009 IP