1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Running 2 campaign for same key phrase

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by DPGBB, May 16, 2007.

I am running 2 campaigns both for the same web page.

One campaign is manually geo targetted for the generic key phrase and the other campaign is for the same terms but has the targetted city added on the end.

Would there be any chance that these two ads would be competing against each other? and how can I test to see if they are.
    The last thing I want is for one of the campaigns to suffer.

Cheers,
    DP

DPGBB, May 16, 2007 IP
  2. MasterG

MasterG Peon

Best Answers:
    In my openion, adwords will select campaign which as high CTR. I used to set it before and higher CTR campaign got IM but lower CTR not IM.

Anybody advice...

MasterG, May 16, 2007 IP
  3. TatiAnA

TatiAnA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes they will be competing with each other. Google mentioned on their learning center that if there's a need to use a keyword, that is existing on any of your ad groups in a same account, then you need to delete the other one.

TatiAnA, May 16, 2007 IP
  4. DPGBB

DPGBB Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason why I'm pretty unsure as to what to do is that Stew in his excellent post http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=328164 suggested doing it.

I've decided to pause one of the campaigns and intend to test each for a 1 week period and see how that goes down.

Any thoughts anyone?

thanks,
    DP.

DPGBB, May 17, 2007 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    The diagnostic tool will tell you.

All other factors being equal the keyword with the best quality score will trigger the ad.

GuyFromChicago, May 17, 2007 IP
  6. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes they will compete against other.

The better Quality Score + cpc will get more impressions and clicks in the same way that 2 competitors from different accounts compete for the same displayURL on Google search (promoting the same affiliate program - see adwords affiliate rule)

Normally this is not a problem as the balance is no so divergent - I would monitor the results and if you want better control over the distribution, you have 2 solutions:

1- control the distribution between both campaigns by increasing, decreasing cpc or setting position configuration for the common keywords.

-or-

2- Change your campaigns configuration and create a common adgroup that will have the common keywords and add both ads set to this adgroup - you can force it distributing 50/50 by setting the ad serving to rotate and having the same number of ads for both campaigns.

Micromag, May 17, 2007 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  7. DPGBB

DPGBB Peon

Best Answers:
    I've purchased PerryMarshall book and am reading page 100.

It talks about 2 campaigns

Campaign #1: California Targeting Only
    Group 1: Real Estate
    Group 2: Buy Homes

Campaign #2: National Targeting - entire USA
    Group 1: California Real Estate
    Group 2: Buy Homes California

Perry Marshall claims this has both bases covered, both local and national searchers. He claims it works so I guess it must be good advice.

DPGBB, May 31, 2007 IP
  8. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly works?

Micromag, May 31, 2007 IP
  9. TerryB

TerryB Peon

Best Answers:
    DPGBB

If i read your first post correctly, you are using different kws ? for the geo-targeted the "phrase" for the national the "phrase + city names" ...

If so these will not be competing against each other ... unless i miss read you original post ...

Terry

btw the Perry Marshall stuff is very good ...

TerryB, May 31, 2007 IP
  10. DPGBB

DPGBB Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I'm enjoying reading his book.

Let me use Perry's example to show what I mean.

If I am in California and type in 'Real Estate' the geo targetted campaign #1 is triggered.

At the same time if I'm still in California and I type in 'Real Estate California', campaign #2 is triggered and if I have broad match enabled on campaign #1 then it is also triggered.

There's an overlap were both of them could possibly compete, isn't there or am I just reading this wrong?

DPGBB, May 31, 2007 IP