1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ruby on Rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by kshaikh, Feb 20, 2009.

What do you guys think about Ruby on Rails versus PHP, ASP and ColdFusion.

Obviously we are using the prototype.js javascript library, versus JQuery and the rest

Khalid

kshaikh, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  2. ThePTC

ThePTC Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally I don't know much about RoR but the syntaxes is... so strange. I'm fond of classic C style so this is rather unusual for me. PHP is also not good for me. One of the worst things in PHP is that non-type variables.

My choice is ASP.NET and CF.

ThePTC, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  3. StevePro

StevePro Peon

Best Answers:
    RoR take a while to get your head around but it's well worth a look. I'm still going through the learning progress but even so I have sped up the time it takes to make web apps dramaticaly using RESTful and DRY aproaches.

One of the most exciting factors is the Plugins, which can make complex tasks very easy and greatly reduce the amount of code required.

I've found the more complicated side is getting the production server configured and running, however this is mainly because I'm running a Plesk server and am trying to get their 'Rails ready' software to work - which has proved difficult.

StevePro, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  4. kshaikh

kshaikh Guest

Best Answers:
    www.heroku.com is an interesting free hosting envrionment for RoR. You can use GIT to push a source try out and they automatically assign a domain name to it and hosting at EC2 for free. Its kind of cool.

kshaikh, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  5. StevePro

StevePro Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds pretty interesting, I've had a look around their site and am a little confused. Is this a hosted solution or can I install heroku on my own server using GEM Install?

StevePro, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  6. johnmackay

johnmackay Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't done anything with either Ruby or RoR,but heard a lot of good things about it.I once tried to learn ruby but was put off by its syntax.I would like to know if it has any specific advantage over php and python?

johnmackay, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  7. shiatsu

shiatsu Peon

Best Answers:
    RoR is brilliant. I still prefer good ol'PHP using some framework that mimic RoR like Codeigniter or CakePHP (codeigniter preferred).

The way it tends to productivity is amazing. I was able to cut delivery dates by half!

shiatsu, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  8. amerigohosting

amerigohosting Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I really don't like developing RoR. The framework such as those, Cake/etc always just seem like way too much work for what I am trying to accomplish.

That being said, I have switched 90% of my coding to ruby (seeing as the stuff that I do now, completely breaks perl :sad:).

After doing this, I found some more setbacks, but the same kind that you will find with any scripting language. The thread management system is really well done, and it deals with memory fine.

As said before, the syntax is a little strange at first. This is because every variable type (array, string, int) has it's set off commands that you call with a "."

example:

things=["foo","bar","foobar"]
    things.each do |thing|
    puts "#{thing}"
    end
    puts "yay it has foo" if things.include?("foo")

Code (markup):
    The libraries are alright, although they are not very mature. I frequently find myself having to hand hack classes to get them to function "correctly". But beyond that, stuff like xml parsing, socket communication, and DBM dbi stuff works well.

Recently, I discovered something else though. "Groovy" it is a pure java language, with syntax similar to Ruby.

amerigohosting, Feb 27, 2009 IP