1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ruby on Rails ... Is it as good as the hype?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Nitin M, Dec 15, 2005.

Anyone here into the RoR mania? Seems like I'm running into a mention of Ruby on Rails everyday now and just a few weeks ago I hadn't every heard it before.

Any coders getting into it? I think I'm going to have to jump in and see what all the fuss is about.

Nitin M, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Like anything new it will take time to have widespread use. I heard from someone that it has been gaining popularity in asian countries.

I would like to look into it, just dont have the time right now.

ServerUnion, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  3. cornelius

cornelius Peon

Best Answers:
    i looked into it, it doesnt look like C / PHP / Java / Scheme / Prolog (programming langs i now) so no quick learning curve for me

kinda reminds me of VB

dunno its gainning popularity but i already have a massive PHP / Java codebase
    so im not moving

cornelius, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't had the time to dig into it myself, but some people seem to like it. Although the people I've talked to (that like it) are the first to admit it doesn't have the overall maturity and speed of PHP. And that's basically why I haven't made time to check it out myself. :)

digitalpoint, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  5. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Unlike Shawn's reasons, once I learn the 400K some included .NET classes, I will look into a new language. At this point .NET and PHP seem to have the most coverage.

ServerUnion, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  6. HN Will

HN Will Guest

Best Answers:
    Ahh - a topic near and dear to my heart. I've just started building my first rails apps and agree that 10X faster (run-time as well as development time) is no joke....I'm a pretty die hard PHP guy so this is saying a lot.

I was just about to post a suggestion that ruby / rails be included on the coding discussion forums when i searched and found this thread....i'll keep looking...

HN Will, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  7. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    RoR is great for getting you quickly to the point where your site is a useable shell. Just name your database tables and columns appropriately and the site almost codes itself.

From there on I don't think it's really any better or worse than PHP. A bad programmer will still write bad code, a good programmer good code, but they'll both probably get there a bit quicker.

forkqueue, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  8. mika

mika Active Member

Best Answers:
    I went through a tutorial on O'Reilly once. Ruby on Rails seems to be really nice, but I have the feeling that it's kinda limited in the possibilities. IMHO you can't produce more complex systems using that technology. I didn't look too far into it though, so I might be wrong ;) Hopefully somebody will answer who already has some more advanced experience in this topic.

mika, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  9. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    Not at all - you can do anything you want. RoR just provides a 'scaffold' around which you can build your program.

forkqueue, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I'm giving it a stab in a few months. Read enough about it to be convinced I should give it a try. I read a tutorial on OnLamp and a fully functional form takes just one word to code; "Scaffolding". Can't be bad! The guy from CD Baby or whatever is converting his 90K lines PHP shop to RoR. It will be interesting to see how many lines he'll get it down to.

T0PS3O, Dec 23, 2005 IP