1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

RSS, Feedster and SEO

Discussion in 'XML & RSS' started by andheresjohnny, May 12, 2006.

Note: The subject references Feedster ... but I meant to type Feedburner.

Question 1:

When people subscribe to a site's RSS feed, does that have any SEO benefit? Are these subscriptons counted as backlinks to the site in any way?

Question 2:

If there is some SEO benefit to an RSS feed, would using a 3rd party service like Feedburner kill it? I assume any crawlers or bots would not be able to make the connection between the Feedburner feed and the originating site.

This is new to me. I understand the benefit of having content containing my links and ads placed in front of people on a daily basis. I'm trying to discover if there are SEO benefits to promoting an RSS feed as well.

Thank you.

andheresjohnny, May 12, 2006 IP
  2. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    Q1: It depends. If people subscribed to your feed syndicating your content on their sites - you might have links pointing to your site. Of course if they are not using any nofollow attributes. But if they just using rss aggregators to read your posts - then probably no.

Q2: That is a good question. I asked about it before, but really haven't found a definite answer. I'm using Feedburner and I noticed on one of my brand new blogs (4 mo old) the actual feedburner page is ranking pretty high for quite competitive keywords/phrases with my content on it and links to the original posts - so it does benefit with immediate natural traffic. Also my own pages started to rank for less competitive keyphrases... with only a couple of inbound links and feedburner feed this blog gets over 300 uniques per day only after 4 months of posting. So, I guess it is beneficial.

I also would like to hear some thoughts from others on the second question.

gemini, May 12, 2006 IP