1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

RSS Feed and Blogger

Discussion in 'XML & RSS' started by Infiniterb, Mar 2, 2005.

Is there a way to specify an RSS feed to post into your blogger content? For instance, I've got a tech blog that I want to post the news stories from a tech news source. Any idea if that will/won't work within the confines of Blogger?

Thanks.

Infiniterb, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    You might check out this thread.

ResaleBroker, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  3. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, saw it earlier today. Was wondering if that really would work within Blogger. I know I can simply put that into a php page or apend it to something. I'd rather find something that would make the blogger posts (besides manually adding it). I'd add my own posts when I have time.

Infiniterb, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  4. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like an interesting idea. If you find anything let us know.

ResaleBroker, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  5. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't you turn on Blogger's option to enable posting through email and then have a script email those news stories to your Blogger email address?

celt, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    If anyone is going to use RSS and pull from other sites, you should be using an RSS complient caching feed reader that has sanity checks in it to protect the site you are pulling from and the user.

It's rude to hit a site eveytime your site is hit, it fact it's in the RFC that you should not. You should not be using file or open to pull from remote sites either. When the connection fails, the users session hangs till the php timeout expires and the server is just spinning it's wheels trying to get a response all that time and this is occuring for every hit on your site that requests that feed should it fail.

If nothing else, have some cosideration for your users and your server if you don't care about the webamaster suppling a free feed for content on your site for your members.

noppid, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  7. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree that you shouldn't parse rss 1:1 on production sites.
    On top of that, you can save some extra traffic by calculating how often a feed is updated and change the interval based on that figure.

mxlabs, Mar 19, 2005 IP