1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rounded Corners

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Pudge1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. 1 FineLine

1 FineLine Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry but I must respectfully disagree. So in essence what you're saying is some of the top traffic sites in the world (YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, RapidShare, Photobucket) do not have real developers coding their sites? Because you CAN'T navigate these sites without JS enabled. Yes most, not all of the content is probably pulled via a server side technology but you still CAN'T access these sites without JS.

Do you not use AJAX to display content? Because that's javascript. (although it may also include .net, php, etc.).

I merely stated that a few lines of jQuery code can enable rounded corners easily that degrade gracefully when JS is turned off. Because I use jQuery for other items on my sites BESIDES layout items; it's already there, so why not use this technique? Why use images for rounded corners? Why not use the CSS technique? I use the CSS technique for sites that DO NOT have jQuery involved. I'd rather navigate to a site with a few scripts than a 500K Flash file that I have to wait to load before I can even SEE the site.

There is a time and place for using various techniques. A REAL developer is able to adapt to the needs of the their clients with what is available to them for development. Just as you stated with mobile devices. I know too many developers who look at a site in ONE browser and say "Wow, it looks great. Let's move it into production." THAT is a lazy developer and an uneducated one as well.

Anyone can bitch and badmouth ANY technique used because they feel that THEIR way of implementation is the BEST way. That is a narrow minded way of thinking. A good developer needs to constantly learn and acquire knowledge to ADAPT to the situation at hand. Using ONE technique for EVERY site you develop is the definition of a LAZY developer.

When browsers other than Safari have CSS-3 capabilities it will be a moot point.

My definition of a REAL developer takes ALL major browser and cross platform issues into account when developing a site. You can't please everyone but you should be able to, with clear and concise code, be able to accommodate the majority of the web audience using multiple techniques.

I don't want this to get into a flame war with who's right and who's wrong. The goal here is to help each other when someone has a problem. If you want to sit and bullshit about who's technique is better with this and that we can take it offline. :)

To the OP sorry for taking this off topic. When I used this technique I had to add a conditional statement to get it to work in IE. Have you tried adding some padding or margin spacing specifically for IE with this technique?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    1 FineLine, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  2. Pudge1

Pudge1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you could help me make them in JQuery that would be nice. My site wouldn't work with JavaScript anyway.

Pudge1, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm...
    jquery == javascript

deathshadow, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  4. Pudge1

Pudge1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah I know I don't do too good looking up tutorials and then putting them into action though.

Pudge1, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  5. 1 FineLine

1 FineLine Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice one LOL

As was stated in previous posts if you're not using jQuery for anything else on your site it would be complete overkill and a waste of unnecessary code to use it simply for rounded corners. DeathShadow's method is probably most suited for your needs.

Or if you want quick and easy, not necessarily the best or most efficient way, check some of these

http://www.google.com/search?q=css+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

1 FineLine, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  6. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't use AJAX but if I did it would be an add-on (replacing some backup). I would never rely on it if I could not guarantee that all users could work with it.

I am not a fan of the sites you listed above, and find most of them filled with spaghetti code and no, they are usually not accessible. It doesn't matter how big you are or how much traffic you get, as far as determining how good your code is. All it means is, you were able to get something working good enough for a lot of people. I don't take that approach to web design because I believe public websites should be available to all.

I addressed that in my rant (but yeah it's buried kind deep : ) and I don't disagree with you there. The thing that sent my rant going was the statement I first quoted: that you can't surf the web without javascript. I do it every day as do millions of others. It's like saying you can't shop for groceries without sight. Blind people don't get all the goodies of seeing what they want to buy, and most stores, no matter how sucessful and popular, really are hard to use if you're blind, but I consider a good store as one who has properly addresses these issues, esp since they are not targetting the well-sighted, but are open to everyone (public websites as opposed to a gamers site or a video site).

Cheers,
    poes

Stomme poes, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  7. 1 FineLine

1 FineLine Peon

Best Answers:
    no worries my friend. I probably let my emotions get the best of me in my post.

Sometimes it's hard to read a 'voice' thru text in a thread. :)

1 FineLine, Aug 28, 2009 IP