1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Robots.txt and subdomains

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Smyrl, Aug 10, 2004.

I am consulting with a site who has a mirror site running with a url like
    *http://abcd.pqr.org/~name/mysite.org/ . The URL for main site is mysite.org.

In searching for one of their keywords find mirror site indexed and am worried about duplicate content penalty. My first thougt was put a robots.txt exclusion file in place. Now this leads to several questioins.

1. Does person who placed files online in first place have access to root directory?

2. How do you construct a robots.txt file for subdomain? Have found question posed but not the answer.

3. Should we try to hide mirror site in password protected directory?

My gut feeling is kill the mirror site. Interactive part of web is not housed there anyway so what is purpose of mirror in first place.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Shannon

Smyrl, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  2. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if it was me i would redirect the mirror site to the main domain, assuming you have access to a .htaccess file. That would take care of not needing a robots file for it, and also allow users to still follow older links.

vagrant, Aug 10, 2004 IP