1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ripped $10,000 from Adsense account

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Gabriel, Dec 9, 2005.

1. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I should add that I don't actually use Adwords to drive traffic to this info site - I wouldn't make a profit out of it. But would I really be breaking TOS if I did?

explorer, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  2. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't mind, but can we see the site? :)

Red, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  3. explorer

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if you're meaning my site or the thread starter's Red. If you're meaning my site, sadly no. ;)

explorer, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  4. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, no the person who started the thread! :)

Red, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I make a small profit on one site by using Adwords to drive traffic to a site that contains Adsense. However, Adwords is not my only source of traffic, and Adsense is not the only source of income. I would certainly be disappointed if Google interpreted this as doing something wrong.

Does it actually say somewhere in the TOS that you can't use Adwords to drive traffic to a site with Adsense?

DirtyDog, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  6. zanet

zanet Peon

Best Answers:
    yes , my question too
    i cant see this being wrong

zanet, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  7. explorer

Best Answers:
    Good question DirtyDog. I looked.

The TOS doesn't mention this. It doesn't mention "made for adsense" pages or sites either as being a violation.

Distinct from TOS, in the Programs and Policies https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

it states:

"No Google ad may be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant."

explorer, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  8. explorer

Best Answers:
    From reading experiences people have had over the past few months, would it be right to say:

1. If you violate TOS you are kicked out of adsense without warning.
    2. If you violate Programs and Policies but don't violate TOS you get a warning and are not immediately kicked out?

explorer, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  9. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    I see I'm not the only one to notice this odd trend.. someone needs to do some IP tracking.

Cutter, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  10. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    Or any contextual advertising in general, for instance Yahoo (overture), because what if you relied heavily on this form of advertising for traffic. So if Google does terminate accounts for this it's truly an amazing discovery (Remember I said if lol). :)

Red, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  11. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A little off topic but is Google a part of the BBB? I am wondering if people try to report such things and if Google is ever in the wrong. $15,000 is a lot to lose.

Glad to know not to put all my eggs in one basket. Sorry to hear this guys.

Colleen, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  12. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Hey, that's an interesting idea.

We could get people to file hundreds of complaints and then we could talk some media organization into doing a news story on it.

Will.Spencer, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  13. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that viewpoint is naive. It's almost like the old guys who say if a girl was raped, she must have done something to cause her rapers to rape her.

Fact is that Google's not perfect. They shut down a business partner's account with a couple thousand in it, and claimed "fraudulent clicks". The person who the account belonged to was almost never online, never clicked her own ads, and was baffled by the whole thing. It was a bit earlier, soon after Adsense was born, and it was happening quite often then. I think it's still possible to get perfectly legit publishers booted from the program by repeatedly clicking on their ads. Google will just assume that if somebody keeps clicking on your ads, it's your responsibility. Guess they never heard of malicious competitors.

As far as Google being the benevolent big brother, that's just their branding strategy, nothing more.

JohnScott, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Exactly my thoughts... seems like once they get caught they panic and run to the first forum they find so they can cry about getting banned

fryman, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  15. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Google bans accounts it seems almost at random. Occasionaly I will visit a website and see a 404 'google syndication error' where adsense ads used to be and that meant that the publisher got banned.

Google needs to improve their adsense/adwords service though.

"another shitty post, you really are a total loser"

thnx fryman

IamNed, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  16. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:

I think that's really unfair, especially considering the number of people booted from Adsense.

JohnScott, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  17. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Couldn't care less about how many people get booted out of Adsense, I am glad Google is taking measures to clean up their network.

Iamidiotned, that's what you get for posting something as idiotic as saying that Adsense bans people for "random reasons".

fryman, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  18. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    IE you left something out of the story?

Very few people are just going to drop $10,000 as a live and learn lesson unless they know they did something wrong.

People with billions of dollars would not move on so quickly.

I haven't finished reading the thread, but I would love to see the URLs of some of the sites that got banned. My first impression is, we all knew the scrappers and made-for-adsense sites were making money. Now they are getting caught. I don't know any of these people from adam. Not sure why people are feeling so much sympathy without any real information. Do you all think the scrappers and made-for-adsense sites were generating no revenue for the webmasters who ran them?

Anyways back to read the rest of the thread.

edit: It is actually good to see people with more at stake getting kicked out of google. It ups the risk factor for those trying to game the system. A lot of the complaints have been penny-ante stuff, where they people doing the big business breaking the TOS felt fairly safe. maybe now they should not feel so safe.

If someone wants me to feel sorry for them because they got kicked out of adsense with 10k in their account, they are going to have to prove they deserve any sympathy. Show me the url. Explain how you got the level of traffic you got on that site etc etc.

Just saying you got banned means you probably did something wrong. Sure google makes mistakes. However the percentage of mistakes they make is fairly small. So odds are way in the favor of anyone being banned, having been banned for a legitimate reason.

aeiouy, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  19. Got shafted also

Got shafted also Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can't make a site that targets adsence why have it who wants the ads on there site if they generate $1 per day. Most sites that have google ads will never get a cheque as they will never reach the $100, it is great free advertising for google. After doing some research I have found that there are thousands of people that have lost alot of money. Not a good way to run a business when you wake up in the morning and someone stole all the money and they don't even leave a note to say why they took it. Just think if you go to the bank to get some money and the banks closed your account, keeps the money and passes you a note with invalid transactions. I dont think they would get away with it for to long. Seems though The adsense team has been doing it for quite a while to thousands. Though they state they refund the money to the advertisers I ask you all that advertise with adwords have you ever recieved a refund as I am sure that one of the accounts that has been shut would have had clicks from one of our accounts. I have never seen a refund.

Got shafted also, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  20. Gabriel

Gabriel Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the people who have made positive suggestions and given me a couple of ideas.

As for the morons that wrote crap about me personally they are is not to be trusted as that type of person has opinions in his mind formed without the full facts..this makes it easy for him or her to twist anything to suit thier false fixed ideas.

Before you say nasty things about me re-read what I said I am not looking for sympathy..what chance is there of that..and if I got it? What good would it do me? Squat right ....so if you would care to aplogize you can read the whole story.

I have a secondary business as an affiliate for a company and have used adwords for a couple of years or so to build a traffic flow to the affiliate linked pages which does quite ok.

My son showed me how he 5x s his money using Google adsense,
    he made $200 from $40 of adwords clicks.

I gave him my Amex 1 dec and he ran 6gsAU on Adwords up to AU13 on his and my adsense account in two nights. I didnt really expect him to spend that much but hes a real go getter type and I guess when you're on a roll....

I was amazed but as the $ was getting a little serious I thought I better check what we were dealing with and read the the agreements more closely...and could see he was over the line in some areas as his sites had little content and could be construed to be only for the adsense. Also he was sending the adwords traffic to two sites which had a different adsense accounts, mine and his. I think that's why Google shut them they may think it was one person with two accounts.

After two days I told my son to pull the pin and we will get a new site made that is 100% by the book with lots of content and so on. He protested and showed me at least 10 sites that were just google ads only made to look like some kind of search engine results pages.

So thinking that Google were probably not that stringent on those points I didn't worry too much but still we kept the ads off ...however during the interim the adsense accounts were closed for "fraud clicks". 100% of the traffic came from Google itself so it was real traffic and not fraud clicks.

It works because the way Google charges, I was paying 1.20 for a keyword and my son showed me how to get the same word at the same time for 3c and funny enough it shows higher in the results.

Anyway to cut it short we have the new site nearly ready and this was my real reason for posting to this forum....I was hoping somone from Google reads it and see the idiocy of just closing an account and refusing to even communicate. We have budgeted about $45,000 per month advertising for the new site and we are looking for another adsense type setup to use unless I can get my adsense back up.

Neither the adwords nor adsense help will even commnicate with me for some reason. I even visited the office and spoke with a very polite young lady who was very understanding but couldnt help.

They can keep the adsense money if they can show it was fraud or totally outside the rules I really just wanted the adsense account back so I could get the new site approved by Google and get the traffic flying again.

Think about it... there is a market where you can buy an item for 3c and someone is willing to pay 1.20 for it...and I was still making some profit paying the 1.20... but thats what woke me up to the potential and why I want the adsense back...

So thanks again to the pleasant posters, I hope that changes the nasty ones opinions a little..it's just as easy to be nice ya know.

Have a good one y'all... :)

P.S.
    The other thing if anyone knows the answer is that Google say they give the money back to the advertisers.. now in all the time I've run ads since they had that feature I have always had it on content . I have never had a single cent refunded....has anyone? I even had a case once where my server logs showed less than 60% of what I was charged and Google was kind enough to email me that time ... yes your right ...nothing they could do thier stats are king...

Gabriel, Dec 10, 2005 IP