1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review of Fitness Website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Zone06, Jun 18, 2019.

This is my oldest website, use to get 100 uv per day however due to competition, traffic has reduced. It's my least worked on site however I'm doing minor improvements to it each week.

Any suggestions to improve the site and generate more traffic would be appreciated, thanks.

http://sworkoutroutines.com/

Zone06, Jun 18, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Health and fitness websites need to be personalised to get the trust of the visitor.
    Who are you?
    What qualifications do you have that enable you to sort the good info from the bad?

Graphics are really important on health and fitness sites too - how about some photos taken at your gym, or bootcamp or whatever you do as your day job that qualifies you to run a site like this... and when you add text use a decent tool like gimp.
    upload_2019-6-19_1-30-27.png

sarahk, Jun 18, 2019 IP
  3. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean because the text looks pixelated on the image?

Zone06, Jun 27, 2019 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    pixelated and blends into the background so it's hard to read and unclear what the background is without looking closely.

sarahk, Jun 27, 2019 IP
  5. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have messed around a lot with photoshop and created many images, I see what you mean, I will keep in mind your points for future ones. Will also consider adding some personalized info, thanks.

Zone06, Jul 3, 2019 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The red on medium grey is below accessibility minimums. The use of serif fonts on screen media can also compromise accessibility, as does the use of PX metric fonts. That's the trifecta of accessibility /FAIL/.

It seems hard to go through using alternative navigation, probably meaning the HTML is gibberish. Given the simplicity of the page, it's also painful to watch load... odd since it's "only" 39 requests, though I do have to wonder what in blazes it needs 39 separate requests for when I only see two content images.

Though many of the woes are explained by one line... a line that makes me hesitant to even LOOK at how it's coded; or more importantly failed to be coded properly.

"Proudly powered by WordPress" -- NOT something to be proud of.

Ripping the hood off, sure enough it's the usual train wreck laundry list of how NOT to build a website so common to turdpress. Static style in the markup, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, jQuery for nothing, JavaScript for nothing... All things that search engines are just starting to FINALLY penalize sites over.

Hence the 49k of markup to deliver three dozen anchors, 3.22k of plaintext, and two content images that PROBABLY shouldn't even be IMG in the markup being text-bearing elements. In other words, not even 12k's job.

The final nail in it is the simple fact that any ATTEMPT at being responsive is flat out broken. That dumbass cookie warning (on a page that does nothing to warrant the presence of tracking related cookies. At MOST a PHP_SESSID which is NOT reason to include that scripttardery)[/i] being the most broken part of all.

You've got problems -- and most of them stem from the choice of tech used.

deathshadow, Jul 12, 2019 IP
  7. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but don't like it and if I was a genuine visitor would leave the moment I seen the home page. First impression is it is very dated looking and 1990s standard.

I advise you test the site on various resolutions also, as the site looks terrible on certain size screens and just not working correctly for what should be a responsive website.

With exercise advise like your giving I think videos ultimately work best, utilize the use of videos embedded in your website would work well IMO.

Looks like you have a lot of information to give and it's a shame the site design lets you down right from the get go.

johneva, Jul 17, 2019 IP
  8. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Web designer are we lol? was mostly wanting a review of the content and more of a SEO analysis.

It's a basic theme, I will experiment with a few others, thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
    Zone06, Jul 17, 2019 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not much point driving traffic to a site if the site isn't ready.

sarahk, Jul 17, 2019 IP
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Accessibility consultant actually, of which SEO is a part.

If your page has blatant accessibility woes from bad construction techniques and bad design, it reduces the odds of being organically linked back to. The less LEGITIMATE backlinks to your articles, the less you meet your search potential since non-farm non-paid backlinks are one of the many factors in ranking well.

The same goes for semantic markup, the entire point of which being so that non-visual user agents have SOME idea of your document structure. Here's a tip, not only are braille readers and screen readers "non-visual UA's", so are search engines. The harder you make it for the engine to deciper, the more junk code that gets in the way of your content, the worse you will rank.

Hence my mentioning search in my post. They ARE penalizing sites for poor accessibility now. They ARE penalizing sites for poor speed and performance. More so, with organic backlinks being the #2 behind "content of value" when it comes to promotion, accessibility failings that make people bounce before even giving your content a chance is not going to give you that!

Take to heart the most important advice we've ever gotten on search, which came from Matt Cutts: "Optimize for the user, not the search engine".

Everything I listed out negatively impacts visitors to your site. As such it WILL negatively impact your search rankings for any meaningful traffic. Trying to drive traffic to your site via search does no good if all you do is annoy -- if not outright piss off -- those visitors off the moment they land on your page!

It's why it matters to not tell large swaths of users to kiss off with declaring font-sizes in PX. It's why it matters not to slop non-breaking spaces all over the blasted place for Christmas only knows what reason. It's why you don't waste "more emphasis" (what STRONG means) around single characters to do CSS' job. It's why you don't use numbered-headings willy-nilly just because you want different font-weight or font-size. ALL of those can tell non-sighted users, search engines, and even some sighted users to go plow themselves.

... and if you actually care about search, traffic, or even fitness, telling those groups to sod off is NOT a great business plan.

To be frank, your response makes it look more like you were trying to spam a link or get a pat on the back, and not looking for actual suggestions on improving the site and its traffic.

deathshadow, Jul 17, 2019 IP
  11. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It took 90 (NINETY) SECONDS (ONE AND ONE HALF MINUTES) for your page to load on this HIGH SPEED connection. If I were not TIMING it, I would have jumped overboard LONG BEFORE the page loaded. Bottom line is that you will LOSE nigh unto 100% of your potential visitors if they only need to wait TEN SECONDS. At 90 seconds, you will NEVER have any REAL visitors.

Quit dinking with Turdpress and all of the other smelly garbage that you may be using. You are WASTING YOUR TIME.

mmerlinn, Jul 17, 2019 IP
  12. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you tested it when the server was having issues, but most of the time it loads within a few seconds at most for me. I don't buy into the wordpress hate, because I have another website which is doing well with a similar set up. Plus I know of many sites using wordpress which rank very well for competitive keywords.

Just criticizing word press is unhelpful, and doesn't reflect my personal experience. The fitness subject is incredibly competitive, so I put the lack of rankings down to that, making it so broad was also a mistake which makes ranking even more difficult.

Optimizing and a redesign is something I will look into.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
    Zone06, Jul 18, 2019 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Now, don't take this the wrong way, but lah-dee-dah for YOU. It either means you have low latency to the server, haven't done a cache-empty load in some time, or have a magical form of ISP caching (which is a thing)

Though it is NOT as big a massive mess as I'd expect in that regard given the choice of technologies. It's 800k in 36 files which is NOT a horrifying amount. That means a real world handshaking overhead of around six seconds, and a worst case of around half a minute which is well within what I consider acceptable.

It COULD be improved in that deparatment, since I see nothing to warrant that much scripting, or that many files... but that's turdpress for you. Rinky toy for blogs for grandma, not for serious websites no matter how many sleazy scam artists will try to tell you otherwise.

Taking just your home page, if I coded the same site there is no reason I'd have it using more than 8k of HTML, around 16k of CSS, and I'm not seeing anything I'd actually use JavaScript to do not counting the adverts (that I'm not seeing here because reasons). That's TWO files of 24k of less where you've got 284k in 16 files (not even counting the JS).

Oh, wow... I "dropped shields" to see the page how the re-re's who don't run adblock would see it? Ok, NOW I see what @mmerlin is talking about. That's painful...and my AV is still blocking a lot of stuff here.

That's likely content quality over site quality at work. Turdpress is utter and complete junk in terms of speed, efficiency, delivery of content, semantics, and accessibility. The bloat most of the templates for it vomit up is responsible for more poor rankings -- and in some industries court fines -- than any other source.

Though a lot of that can also be tracked to the mind-numbing idiocy that is jQuery, as well as when people go full Pakled and smear bootcrap on it.

Again, cute toys for slopping together something quick, a complete /FAIL/ at web development if you care about accessibility, usability, ranking well, or any other serious factor.

deathshadow, Jul 18, 2019 IP
  14. getakash1

getakash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to use infographic images, using your own pictures at gym so that it looks real to everyone, try to make your home page as attractive as you can, try to add some more services on your website.

getakash1, Jul 21, 2019 IP
  15. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had some success with infographics on Pinterest, however just not with this subject. But yeah it's worth trying some different styles, so I will keep that in mind and also your other suggestions. Thanks.

Zone06, Jul 22, 2019 IP
  16. Prakriti aryan

Prakriti aryan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    home page is so dull, must one video or atleast image slider with descrptions

Prakriti aryan, Jul 31, 2019 IP
  17. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't really do videos, but added a beautiful image to it. But I do agree, because it's such a competitive subject, it needs someway of standing out from the masses, maybe a more modern professional looking theme.

Zone06, Aug 1, 2019 IP