1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review my article (bit confused)

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by lionet, Jun 6, 2015.

Hello,

So, I've redesign my old website but I will post my thread in different section, I have problem with my article...I think its something missing, to be honest I dont know whats going on (from visual aspect) but I need your opinions guy.

http://lionet.ie/top-5-reason-why-need-website.html

The article is no designed (yet) for mobile and tablets !.

Any ideas, what to change? font is good? the image placement is correct? like I said I'm confused.

Solved! View solution.
    lionet, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  2. Jason Hensley

Jason Hensley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well what I see and I have practied in typography (aligning words), is that the images and words need more space between them. Meaning you need less words per line next to the pictures. As a whole it is set up well, but that makes its flow a lot less fluid, if you understand me.

Jason Hensley, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  3. lionet

lionet Member

Best Answers:
    Thank You Jason, so more space between words and images okay. I will give padding, I'm wondering does the images fit well here, or use simple icons.

lionet, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  4. Jason Hensley

Jason Hensley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the images are rather pleasing, and would definitely keep those. I would make the font smaller for each subtitles wording. Keep your titles the same size. Also when you write titles you capitalize almost every word. E.g. Website Address = Easier to Remember. The lack of capitalization seems to take away from the actual focus on the titles themselves.

5. lionet

lionet Member

Best Answers:
    I will fix this :) thank you .

lionet, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  6. Jason Hensley

Jason Hensley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your welcome! I have also seen your other post about the critique you have received. Criticism is a rough thing, do not take it hard. Some people are rude and very unhelpful. They feel bad and want you to feel bad. Stick with what your doing, and find the positive in it like your doing now. I have used forums quite a bit and it is very common. Some people that are experienced get big heads... ;)

Oh and one more reason to keep the pictures... Simple people enjoy them, if they are not there it seems to be to much wording and they will be gone as fast as they came.

8. lionet

lionet Member

Best Answers:
    Great man, I know the criticism can be harsh, however I like it, I think now my website looks way better thanks to them, but we will se :) Have a nice day !

lionet, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit confused by your question -- as I can't quite figure out what it is you are actually asking. I'll take a stab though...

The goofy thin webfont crap has MAJOR legibility issues here (I've increasingly soured on webfonts altogether just because what so many people seem to be using is illegible rubbish for me), your colour choices on the headings do not meet accessibility minimums, you're wasting too much whitespace on nothing, while not having extra whitespace to separate the images from the text. The text-indents look like rubbish and are really an outdated writing concept since this isn't a novel or short story and are inconsistent since you aren't using them up top where there are no images (which laughably is where they'd make more sense).

You seem to be using numbered headings properly from h2 downward, but you have no H1 (HEADER+DIV+P doing H1's job!) and a lot of "classes for nothing" since you don't have any H3 that are 'different' enough for any of them to have classes. You're using media queries in the markup which I'd advise against particularly when you don't even have media targets on your primary sheet...

Also the de-indent when the text is taller than the image looks kinda crappy.

Again, there's a reason I advocate a content + semantics FIRST approach to design. A lot of your markup -- like the various BR interspersed in your P, unclosed P, and B doing STRONG's job (since those aren't proper names/titles) reek of worrying about appearance BEFORE you even made your semantics. In particular you have a lot of line-breaks in there that just render like rubbish at large fonts and are NOT where the thought is complete; resulting in incomplete paragraphs. Write your paragraphs, let the browser figure out where newlines are right if inside a coherent thought -- that's just part of semantic markup and content writing. Don't just slap BR in there because it's the end of a sentence, or because you want padding between block-level containers. Then you have paragraphs around stuff that isn't even a complete sentence much less a grammatical paragraphs -- remember semantic markup is grammar, NOT layout -- layout/typography is presentation, and as such has little place in your markup while writing the semantic part of the code (basically anything that's not a DIV or SPAN).

Heading orders are similar, you can't have a h2 without a h1 before it since then what is the h2 indicating the start of a subsection of? Much less the h4 in the footer begging the question is "Say Hello:" REALLY the start of a subsection of "4. Free Analytics Tools."?!? I don't think so, but that's what using a H4 there would MEAN. (I suspect that should be a H2... also shouldn't that e 5. not 4.?). Remember H1 is the heading under which everything on the page is a subsection, while H2 is the start of a subsection of the h1, h3 is the start of a subsection of the h2, and so forth... while HR means "the start of a independent subsection where no heading text is desired/warranted" -- HR doesn't mean draw a line across the screen any more than h1..h6 means "text of different sizes" -- even if that is the default appearance.

Your grammar and punctuation could use a decent amount of work as well. (says the king of the run-on sentence!) :p

A LOT of your sentences are just gibberish or incomplete thoughts, being unclear exactly what you are referring to. Nouns and verbs, don't be afraid to use them! Of course it doesn't help when you're linking to sites that basically made up their own word for their domain. (cultureist? REALLY? No e... seriously.) -- things like that always make me wonder if they did it because the proper domain name was taken, if they are doing it to be sarcastic, or if they're just really stupid. As always never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ineptitude.

"Would need website"?!? "millions peoples are living in europe"?!? "Internet unlike to shops and different services"?!?!?

Cans you haz corms wit dat?

Tense, plurals, conjunctions -- you've not a NASTY case of "Englisc moder wyrter" going on there. Time for some schoolhouse rock:

Conjunctions
    Subjects and predicates
    Nouns
    Pronouns
    Verbs
    Adverbs
    Adjectives
    Prepositions

... and of course, my all-time personal favorite:
    Interjections!

Basically, you'd have gotten kicked out of my third grade class in the early '70's with that. Admittedly, my archaic sentence structure makes it a wee bit of "people in glass houses" situation -- but I assume English is your second language? Seriously, your copy needs some heavy duty punching up as the "Engrish moist goodry" present on that page is one step removed from "Me love you long time".

Even your title is bad. It's "would you" not "you would" given the rest of the sentence. You have broken Engrish in your TITLE. The moment you add the subject at the start of the sentence instead of the preposition, you have to change the structure. It's either:

Why would you need a website?

or:

Reasons why you would need a website!

What you have:

Reasons why would you need a website?

Is gibberish structure and punctuation! Reasons means it's not a question, nor should the adverb be followed by a predicate.

That said, when I'm writing a page, I try to figure out the content FIRST. As if HTML doesn't even exist and in an order that would make sense... then I mark it up semantically BEFORE adding all the big HTML wrapping stuff like body/head and doctype, which in your case would go something like this (rewriting your copy into something resembling English):

<title>5 Reasons why you would need a website - LIONET Web Design Agency</title>

<h1>
    	<a href="/">
    		LIONET <span>Creative Agency</span>
    	</a>
    </h1>

<ul id="mainMenu">
    	<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li> 
    	<li><a href="work.html">Our Work</a></li>
    	<li><a href="about.html">About</a></li>
    	<li><a href="contact.html">Contact</a></li>
    </ul>

<h2>
    	TOP 5 REASON WHY YOU WOULD NEED A WEBSITE FOR YOUR BUSINESS.
    	by Igor Galicki CEO of LIONET web design agency.
    </h2>
    <p>
    	According to to <a href="http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/">Internet Live Stats</a> there are over 3.1 billion people using the Internet. With <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population">over 742 million people living in Europe according to <cite>wikipedia</cite></a>, just think how many potential clients could you have from Europe alone!
    </p><p>
    	So these are top 5 reasons <strong>why you would need a website</strong>... ready?
    </p>

<h3>1. Accessibility</h3>    
    <p>
    	The Internet unlike more conventional shops, businesses and services is up and running 24/7. <strong>This can give a huge advantage to your business.</strong>
    </p><p>
    	Websites don't have opening hours, and your chance to find a potential client is not restricted by the time of day! This means the client can visit your website at any time -- be it while you are out of the office at lunchtime, or in the middle of the night while you sleep.
    </p>

<h3>2. Professionalism</h3>  
    <p>
    	Let's say you are a businessman who runs a few stores and everyone knows you in your area; Now tell me which do you think what would be the worst?
    </p>
    <ol>
    	<li>
    		Being a businessman <strong>without a website having limited opportunities to grow your business</strong>
    	</li><li>
    		Having a decent site which will tell potential clients who you are, what you're doing, giving them a chance to contact you while also promoting your stores?
    	</li>
    </ol>

<h3>3. A Web Address is Easier to Remember</h3>  
    <p>
    	This is very overlooked aspect of marketing. I have met several businessman who thought that only having an E-Mail address and phone number was all they needed for their business.
    </p><p>
    	They were wrong. Everything today has to be simple! I'm not talking only about websites but also mobile interface, leaflets, business cards, and a host of other basic essentials for promotion.
    </p><p>
    	<strong>People don't want be forced to try remember your number, what they want is simplicity!</strong>
    </p><p>
    	If you don't believe me, than try this example:
    <p><p>
    	Try to remember this <em>only reading it once, because lets say you met me on the street and I was in hurry so I told you my phone number</em>: prefix 353 089 956 1433.
    </p><p>
    	Got it?
    </p><p>
    	Now try to remember words "go to lionet.ie"
    </p><p>
    	Which is easier to remember?
    </p>

<h3>4. Advertising Others to Promote Oneself</h3>  
    <p>
    	It's not always a good idea to have a bunch of advertisements on your website. It can bite you if you are selling a product and an advertisement for a competitor shows up! The trick is to leverage advertising in a way that promotes your business or make a small token amount on someone else's sale.
    </p><p>
    	Let's you have shoes store, and on your website will be displayed the companies who's products you sell. This helps promote you as a seller of that product and endear you to that manufacturer. Let us then say that for example your site is showing ads for a company that makes laces. If the visitor to your site has an old pair that needs laces and clicks on that ad, you make money that way too. Any time someone follows an advertisement you stand to make a small profit that otherwise you wouldn't get, off a website that you would probably have anyways.
    </p><p>
    	The basic idea -- and it's a time-tested one -- is to nab them coming and going. A click-through can be just as good to you as a conversion if you do it right.
    </p>

<h3>5. Analytic Tools</h3>  
    <p>
    	<strong>A website can also be leveraged to analyze your brand, market, and product.</strong> You can quickly get positive and negative opinions about your product leading to improvements in your brand. You don't have to hire managers, analysts and pay them. Using the proper choices of free tools you can become a one man army deciding what to choose not based on wild guesses, but based instead upon client opinions and feedback.
    </p>

<hr>
    +353 89 956 1433<br>
    contact@lionet.ie<br>
    Blanchardstown / Dublin 15 / Ireland

<h2>Visit us on Social Media:</h2>
    <ul>
    	<li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/lionetdesign">Facebook</a></li>
    	<li><a href="https://twitter.com/lionetweb">Twitter</a></li>
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a href="privacy-policy.html">Privacy Policy</a>
    Code (markup):
    That's what I'd have written BEFORE even THINKING about adding DIV, classes, ID's, or even the presentational images that to be honest are not content and as such probably don't even belong in your HTML.

Then and only then would I start in on the screen style which is when tags like DIV and SPAN get added.

Really though, get someone with a better command of English in there. I did a quick rewrite, but I'd suggest hiring a professional writer to punch that copy up. You're not going to appeal to business people with the broken language more typical of a twitter post.

deathshadow, Jun 7, 2015 IP