1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review Ad Network

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by anthonycea, Aug 20, 2004.

Shawn, why don't you review this co-op banner network for us here, because I really do not understand it at all, you created something for webmasters to use in this regard.

I have looked at the other thread and really did not gain that much understanding as to how it really works.

Can you explain it in a nutshell here in this thread, does it compete with ADSENSE, is it simply a banner program, does it trade banners from one webmasters site to the next.

Please explain in terms that a newbie could understand :eek:

anthonycea, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It looks like most of your users are forum owners?

Any site that is PHP, so it is not a matter of cut and paste code for dummies to place C&P code on any page?

4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think the site needs to be currently using PHP. I think the site only needs access to PHP on the host server.

Maybe that's semantics, but I think it is slightly different that what you appear to be assuming.

In my case we have PHP installed and available on our server. All I had to do essentially was a cut and paste of the code Shawn suggested and everything worked just fine.

But this has nothing to do with AdSense, so stop hijacking my thread. :mad:

compar, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Alright Bob, then why don't you start one on Shawn's program and point us to it with a link from this thread.

I think we need a fresh thread on this anyway since the old one did not really explain the "details for dummies", there are a lot of us who really do not have technical skills and are just copywriters and cut and paste artists.

Can you start a thread on the subject that explains this network to dummies?

6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand the network just fine. Why don't you start the thread? I can say this however, Shawn originally said the network was only for forums and certain other users. So I guess he didn't want to be bothered with supporting, or providing details for, "dummies".

In this case this may be a situation where if you can't understand it you can't use it :p

Now get the hell of my thread :mad: :D

compar, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Better yet, just split it into it's own thread.

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, but if you do not cater to dummies (BOB and SHAWN) you cut out 90% of your market.

Not every webmaster is a coder, we are not all up to the latest W3C standards.

We need intructions for dummies Compar. Bob you are good with working with idiots, just look at all the money the publishers of the instructional books made (Computers for idiots), you remember those books, I have a few of them.

Maybe you could make the theme of this thread "Instructions for the dummies that want to uses DP's Co-Op network".

I will be the first student to enroll.

Do we have any teachers, that is the question?

Remember 90% of your future users are waiting :mad:

younghistorians likes this.
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are setup instructions already.

10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Do the ad links showing on other people's pages have to be to the domain where you show their ads?

T0PS3O, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    OK, give me the link to the instructions and I will test them to see if I (an idiot) can understand them.

If I can not figure it out I will ask the questions here in this thread and you can help me understand by your answers.

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, they don't.

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can access the setup instructions once you have an account.

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    How do I know if my sites will be able to use the program, do you look at each site to see if it supports PHP before letting folks in the program?

For example look at www.realestateindustrylinks.com and tell me if this site would work with the network.

The only thing I do is cut and paste code to put banners on this site.

15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, the system does not check to see if they support PHP or not.

16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    No! They do not have to be.

compar, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  17. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony,

Besides the FAQ that Shawn has puplished the link to, have you actually logged into the Coop Advertising Network section of his web site?

I don't think anybody minds helping but I think they do mind doing all the work for someone who is too lazy to find out for himself. If you had logged into the web page you would know the answer to the type of ads involved.

A very simple overview is that if you display any one of the three ad formats on any of your pages, your ad(s) will get displayed on the pages of other people involved in the program. The number of time that they get displayed is in proportion to the number of time ads are viewed, or displayed, on your site or pages.

So to that degree it is very similiar to a banner exchange.

The ads are rotated and will change every time a page is refreshed. If you want to see this go to the bottom of any page in my InfoPool and watch the last entry in the list of links called "some links to our friends". Then hit the refresh button or the F5 key and watch the ad change every time the page refreshes.

Now if you want to see the code that runs this on my server just look at the source code for my page. Even a "dummy" like you should be able to understand that.

compar, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks Bob, I will try to make some progress here to understand how this works, like I said most of the stuff we use is your standard CJ type of cut and paste crap.

I hope it this program is not too hard for a dummy like me to understand, I will check it out further and if I can't figure it out, I will simply ask another dumb question. :confused:

19. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    it really isn't hard at all.

there's like 4 step by step instructions- it's probably more complicated to first figure out how to ftp files or something like that.

disgust, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  20. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    The setup instructions work for Unix hosts, there's one small edit for Windows users. The part where you have:

ini_set ("include_path", ini_get ("include_path") . ':../:../../:../../../:../../../../');

PHP:
    should be

ini_set ("include_path", ini_get ("include_path") . ';../;../../;../../../;../../../../');

PHP:
    i.e the colons replaced by semicolons. It'd make things cut-and-paste for people on Windows PHP hosts

rickbender1940, Aug 20, 2004 IP
    younghistorians likes this.