1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reverse nslookup returns lame non-authoritative answer

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by matthewst, Nov 24, 2014.

Long story short:
    dns1.mydomain.com returns reverse lookup from mxtoolbox fine
    dns2, returns: "Warning: Received Non-Authoritative (lame) Answer from: 'dns2.mydomain.com'"
    The same for dns3 and dns4

Dig and nslookup run on those servers all work fine. I have obviously misconfigured something in dns2, 3, and 4 but I don't know what.

When I do "service named stop" on my dns1 server then run a reverse lookup through mxtoolbox I receive a "Loop detected, referred back to (*then it gives the ip of one of my dns servers*)" error. Does this help pinpoint the issue any?

All the servers are redhat. Configuring these is my first and only experience with linux and public facing dns. Has anyone had these issues before? I don't even know where to begin.

matthewst, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  2. matthewst

matthewst Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever I do dig @dns1.bluebirdnetwork.com, or dns2, 3, or 4 I get "flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 13, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 7". No aa flag. Anyone got any ideas?

matthewst, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  3. matthewst

matthewst Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone?.... Someone here has to know how to fix "lame delegation".

matthewst, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  4. matthewst

matthewst Member

Best Answers:
    For an example go to mxtoolbox and reverse lookup 209.152.131.15 (fitzgibbon.org). Most of the time dns1.bluebirdnetwork.com responds as it should...but sometimes dns2, 3, or 4 will give a "lame" response. There has to be a simple answer that I am over looking.

matthewst, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  5. adublin

adublin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Double check and make sure CNAME records were not created for the problem host. Usually it will loop and give a LAME answer.

adublin, Dec 20, 2014 IP